We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Highwood Ridge, Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, Kananaskis Country, Alberta  (Read 1037 times)

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
I thought I'd try out the new easy-load photo feature with some hiking photos from Highwood Ridge, from July 20 and 31, 2015!
July 20th was a showery day, and we were soon chased down by cold rain and sleet.  We got to explore further along Highwood Ridge on our return trip on July 31st, on a day with clear skies and cool conditions up high, periodically blasted by very strong, cold winds.  (Meanwhile, it was sweltering hot back in Calgary - 32 degrees C.)

First, a few views to set the scene...
On the way up, just the last push left (I tend not to take many pics on the way up... too busy suffering.  :P)  The rock bands and vegetated areas on the way up seem to be favoured by Rocky Mountain sheep, judging from all the droppings.  We saw a couple of small bands of females and lambs, resting in the rock bands, on our second trip - our path detoured around them, so they were more-or-less undisturbed... other than keeping some watchful eyes on us.

On the ridge - Grizzly Col (this is a route out to the adjacent Grizzly Ridge... a little too hairy for me) and views of green, vegetated Pocaterra Ridge, and the Paleozoic limestone ridge behind it.

View to the east into Ptarmigan Cirque, an extremely popular day hike, with the peak of Mount Rae in cloud and Mt. Arethusa to the right:

View out along Highwood Ridge (left), with Paradise Valley and Grizzly Ridge to the right, backed up the peaks that define the Alberta-BC boundary:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:04:05 AM by Lori S. »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

Sorry, a few problems posting (plus I decided to show the photos full size) but I will persist!
Lori

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Hang in there, Lori - your photos are always such a delight to see to illustrate the landscape as well as see the flowers there.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lori S.

Ah, success!  Not having to resize is great!   
(Oh, don't make me bush, Maggi...  ;D)

Arnica louiseana in the steep, coaly, scree slope on the slog up to the ridge - a very charming little plant that I've only seen in this area, so far.

The first time I've come upon Erigeron lanatus, also in the coaly scree slope - I suspect it may be restricted to fairly high elevations.  Delightfully furry!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:44:41 PM by Lori S. »
Lori

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
My, that Erigeron lanatus is a very attractive little thing. Superb foliage. I expect it would be very difficult in cultivation - most of the best "furries" are.  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lori S.

Androsace septentionalis, showing some interesting colour:

Arabis lemmonii:

Antennaria alpina (I guess)... beautiful tight foliage, and a view out along Highwood Ridge:

Myosotis asiatica:

Ranunculus eschscholtzii:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:19:17 PM by Lori S. »
Lori

Lori S.

Some brilliantly-coloured Phacelia sericea, nicely offset by the yellowish sandstone:

Lori

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Great stuff Lori, thanks for posting.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Lori,

Very impressive scenery and flora!

Arnica louseana, Erigeron lanatus, and Phacelia sericea were among my favorites. Our Phacelias, in general, are such a wash-out compared to the intense color of P. sericea. Very, very impressive! Can it be grown in the garden? Can any be grown in the garden? It would certainly be fun to try.

Thank you so much for sharing the photographs. They definitely caught my interest.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Lori S.

Thanks for the comments!  :)

Robert, yes, Phacelia sericea can be grown in the garden, though perhaps not with such intensity of colour as in the wild, and it seems to be monocarpic, from various reports and in my own experience.  I have very much enjoyed your postings of your hikes in California - just wonderful!

Lori

Chris Johnson

What wonderful images, Lori - a powerful landscape. Thanks for sharing.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Wow, Lori,
great stuff!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

melager

Wow fantastic photos, thanks so much sharing and great to see tge new photo size
Mel

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Thanks for the comments!  :)

Robert, yes, Phacelia sericea can be grown in the garden, though perhaps not with such intensity of colour as in the wild, and it seems to be monocarpic, from various reports and in my own experience.  I have very much enjoyed your postings of your hikes in California - just wonderful!

Lori,

Thank you so much. I will keep my eyes open for such seeds in the various seed lists that come around.

Some of our Phacelia species that are said to be "perennial" are more or less monocarpic too. Also, I would be pleased if the color intensity remained the same when we brought these high elevation beauties to our low land gardens. Oh well.

I certainly enjoy the photographs from your local mountains. It seems to be incredibly beautiful country. I look forward to your next outing. Very inspirational!  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal