We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse  (Read 507490 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse
« Reply #1620 on: February 06, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »
and finally a nice pot with Romulea and a rich flowering member of the Berberidaceae:

Romulea bulbocodium
Gymnospermium alberti 
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1621 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:23 PM »
Narcissus 'The Alliance' is so cheerful- what every cold windy February day really needs.
The Gymnospermium is a good potful - it seems to be potted in solid sand?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #1622 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »
Tinus is nice too.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #1623 on: February 07, 2013, 10:22:25 AM »
Of course there were snowdrops to see this Monday  :)   

How nice for you Luit, I love to see the Gymnospermium alberti  on the showbench, a lovely plant.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:54:26 PM by Brian Ellis »
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #1624 on: February 07, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »
Lovely colour Luit.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1625 on: February 07, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »

Maggi, you will have seen many plants at shows. But alas for visitors, it will mostly remain a secret what is inside the pots  :-X :-*

Lovely colour Luit.

David, you make me curious which colour you mean. In future I might make some special pics for you with the color you like,
but please not only white  ;D ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #1626 on: February 08, 2013, 08:16:30 AM »
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #1627 on: February 08, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
Narcissus 'The Alliance' is so cheerful- what every cold windy February day really needs.

Could it be double potted?
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #1628 on: February 08, 2013, 09:01:37 PM »
David, you make me curious which colour you mean. In future I might make some special pics for you with the color you like,
but please not only white  ;D ;D

Hi Luit,

It's the intricacies of the English language Luit, or my version of it anyway. Under some circumstances "colour" can be plural and in others it can be singular ::) In this case I meant the colours of all of them, beautiful, even the white ones!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1629 on: February 08, 2013, 10:04:55 PM »
oooh the language again. Hope to remember this ::) ::), but with my aged brains  ???

David I saw somewhere that you are getting a bit closer to me, Happy Birthday to you!!
CHEERS

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #1630 on: February 09, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »
Many thanks Luit.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #1631 on: February 09, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »
Luit

I was mesmerized by the surface planted tulips and how they had come up so uniform. How do they kep them so upright and straight (I've never achieved such graceful plants)?

Frazer
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1632 on: February 11, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
Luit

I was mesmerized by the surface planted tulips and how they had come up so uniform. How do they kep them so upright and straight (I've never achieved such graceful plants)?

Frazer
Frazer, first of all you must consider  that this particularly weekly show is primarily for growers (bulb-producers)  to show their products and/or novelties to the trade.
Most tulips shown at these shows will be useful  for the cut flower industry. Only last year there were about 1.9 billion tulip flowers sold through the flower auction!
The forcing of bulbs asks for a lot of skill and first of all for the best show result, you have to chose the best bulbs, at least 12 cms. Ø!
The pots at the show are mostly planted with bulbs grown on before in small 7 cms. pots.

With reference to tulips in the garden it is basically the same.  In a show garden like Keukenhof only the bigger bulbs are used.
For the best uniform result always choose bulbs with at least 12 cmsØ. I’m afraid that in supermarkets and many garden centers mostly bulbs are sold with only 10 or 11 cms.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #1633 on: February 12, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »
Frazer,

Some comments also from me.
I am not sure what type of tulips you grow. I grow mainly the ones bred especially for garden decoration. Those shown in the exibition, as Luit mentioned, are bred for cut flower industry with special forcing qualities. So such features as having a neck is a serious disadvantage for such tulips. At the beginning of blooming it is highly valued that their blooms are at the same level with the edges of upper leaf or better when the upper leaf embraces the flower. This prevents the blooms from damage during transportation, and besides the blooms don't tend to bend. So even forced with less skills these tulips will be more likely upright and straight than garden varieties, though they might not come so uniform (I mean when forced with less skill). 
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #1634 on: February 16, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »
Luit, Boyed

Thanks for the information.
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal