We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: re-sizing photos for a MAC computer 2015  (Read 3901 times)

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
re-sizing photos for a MAC computer 2015
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »
I have just been reading all the advice available on this site but I am sorry to say that none of it is of any help to myself.
I used to post quite a lot of pics.but since I replaced my computer with a mac twelve months ago I have been unable to re size my photos to the required size in an efficient manner.Is there anyone out there who has had the same problem and has managed to solve it ?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
Re: re-sizing photos for a MAC computer 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 08:09:47 PM »
HI John, I suggest registering an account with flickr. Once you've uploaded your images there you can download them at whatever size you like, or just share them as links to file on flickr. It's a pretty user-friendly interface. I use it and find it useful.

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:21:19 PM »
John  - I have a Mac and no problem to re-size photos for the Forum. This looks daunting but once you do the first pic it's a breeze after that.

Here we go:

1. Find the jpg file you wish to re-size in Finder.

2. Drag that file down to the iPhoto icon at the bottom of your screen and the file will load under a new event and appear  before you when you click on iPhoto.

3. Highlight that photo you wish to re-size.  If multiple photos hold down the command button and click the other photos.  All you wish to re-size should now have a yellow border. Photo 1.

4. Now click FILE to the right of the iPhoto icon at the top left of the page and then click EXPORT.   A dialog box will appear.  Picture 2.

5. In that dialog box:

under KIND choose JPG

under QUALITY choose MEDIUM

under  SIZE choose MEDIUM

under FILE NAME choose TITLE  - that way if you have your picture named correctly that will be the name of the file shown later on the FORUM thus aiding the search function.

6.  At this point click EXPORT at the bottom right

7. At the top of the new dialog box will say SAVE AS: followed by the correct file name.  Beneath that in Picture 3 choose the destination you want the re-sized file to go -I always choose PICTURES and then all subsequent export will default to PICTURES (a thought why not create a folder called forum and sort by date ti find your most recent import?) and no need for STEP 5 again until you close iPhoto.

8. Click ok at the bottom of that box. Your photo can now be found in FINDER under your PICTURE folder at a postable size and as the last jpg added.

Now  let us know if you have problems getting the pix onto the Forum. 

Simply click ATTACHMENTS photo 4 and find the relevant pic in FINDER. For more attachments click MORE ATTACHMENTS. Picture 4

johnw

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:31:26 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
Many thanks, John - I know many forumists use Macs and they have mentioned their  "moves" before  but it's spread through the forum - great to have this super "lesson" here - thank you!  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 12:50:44 AM »
Now John here is another easier way.  Drag your photo to iPhoto as mentioned before, making certain it is correctly named.

Once iPhoto opens the picture in a separate Event highlight the photo and click email at the bottom of the screen - photo 1.  Choose medium size in the dialog box. Pic 2 and it shows you the actual new size.

When the email opens put your cursor over the photo, press the control button, click save attachment and save the re-sized picture to the folder of your choice.  Pic 3. Post that pic on the Forum.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:54:48 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: re-sizing photos 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
Just to remind folks:
The SRGC re-sizing tool for Windows  pc s is here

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9993.0

more photo posting help: http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=65.0

general help with posting :   http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=2.0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:10:35 AM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Note re sizes for photos posted to the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 10:44:01 AM »
Forum photo  size advice - forum recommended size :

While a large photo  can be  glorious and can look very good when it is displayed alone on a page,  in the Forum the restrictions of the text boxes etc do mean that photos larger that 760 pixels wide will not be seen to their best advantage.
 I take this opportunity to once more urge members to re-size their photos to a maximum of 760 pixels wide  - it is possible, as is made clear by the number of very excellent photos on the forum which adhere to this ruling, to have perfectly good quality photos displaying the details and beauty of a plant while remaining within the 760 pixels wide and under 200kb limits.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

See this example  photo from Steve Garvie:
It is 760 x 581 pixels in size and 93.5KB

posted by maggi - wearing her Forum Moderator's hat!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:56:06 AM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »
The Scottish Rock Garden Club Web Team is pleased to announce that a feature to allow automatic resizing of photographs loaded to the SRGC Forum has been added. This will remove the need for forumists to resize photos before posting.

We hope this will encourage posting from those who found resizing difficult or time-consuming.

Many thanks to Fred C. our wonderful Forum Admin for this facility.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal