We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Observations and theory of Galanthus germination  (Read 55352 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Observations and theory of Galanthus germination
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »
Quite a few types of seedlings do that, Tim - wise to have an anchor and something to feed the upward  growth
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »
When they germinate they usually push down the young bulb first, before the leaf is growing upwards.  This might  give a additional push for the young bulb.
The primary bulb seems to be more frost sensitive than the older ones. I lost some hundred seedlings in a styrofoam box which froze through in February. The already grown leafs survived the frost but not for long without any bulb left.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Jack Meatcher

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2020, 06:31:16 PM »
Slug-proofing seed pods during ripening. I tried used tea bags successfully. Dry them, cut one end off, empty the tea out, insert the seed pod, tie the end with a kitchen bag type paper and wire tie (or similar). Progress of the seed pod can be checked by undoing the tie and examining the pod. I got the idea some time ago from the SRGC Forum.

Jack
The Learner

Anthony Hawkins

• Isle of Man, well drained soil, 28 in/year av.
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2020, 07:25:55 PM »
That sounds much too difficult for my 82 year-old fingers! I use ankle socks, secured with a twist of copper wire, which helps deter slugs. But beware fine materials which are very water repellent, coarser grade material is preferable.

Ken Devine

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2021, 03:26:35 PM »
Recently germinated seedlings of an Irish snowdrop G. plicathus Woodtown. In the square pot front of picture 16 seeds were planted and 14 germinated. G.Woodtown is the most reliable snowdrop I have in the garden for producing viable seed.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2021, 10:27:38 AM »
Last spring I bagged snowdrop seed pods to catch the seeds. Yesterday I found one forgotten bag under Helleborus leaves where 'Wendy's Gold' grows, clearly I had missed that bag in spring, and it was partly covered with mulch.
There are four good looking seeds with two of them already growing root:).
I now potted them and I'm looking forward to seeing them grow the first leaf in spring.
I'm very happy about these seeds because this is the first time I got seeds from 'Wendy's Gold'.
Leena from south of Finland

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2021, 11:10:41 AM »
That's a nice discovery Leena.  Seedlings from 'Wendy's Gold' are usually normal green plicatus but fingers crossed that you hit gold!
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal