We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Pleione and Orchidaceae / Re: Unknown Pleione hybrids for ID/grex
« Last post by arisaema on March 22, 2024, 07:14:10 AM »
Thank you, Maggi! I'm surprised the Glacier Peak looking one is supposed to be hardy here, with that parentage you wouldn't expect it to... 'Tongariro' would make more sense than 'Tolima' considering how common it is, fingers crossed that'll prove hardy too.
Pleione and Orchidaceae / Re: Unknown Pleione hybrids for ID/grex
« Last post by Maggi Young on March 21, 2024, 10:28:29 PM »
I asked a friend who is a great Pleione grower - she looked at the photos and replied: 
" I am happy to give my opinion, please don’t take it as concrete proof, that would require DNA analysis and looking at the pseudobulb.

The top pleione looks to me like P. Glacier Peak, (formosana x grandiflora), a hybrid made by Ian Butterfield and registered in 2001. This proved very useful to Anthura, the Dutch pleione ‘factory’, who cloned them and mass produced them without ever giving them a name label; they are easier to sell that way on the Continent. A very nice pleione and reproduces easily.

The bottom pleione looks to me like P. Tongariro (Versailles x pleionoides), made by B. Williams and developed/registered by Ian Butterfield in 1981. This is a very durable hybrid, nice upright habit, good developer and makes a beautiful bowl when planted, say, 20 or more in a bowl."

Hope this helps.
Plant Identification Questions and Answers / Re: ID please
« Last post by Maggi Young on March 21, 2024, 06:59:51 PM »
Thank you Maggi for your help . So if I post more as 1 item a day , they come together in one post ? Or do you prefer only one post a day ?
I hope that some people , who know the plants in Southern Africa , do find my post. I am eager to learning ... :)
Jo, you may post as many times as you wish in one day- but only 5 photos in each post. So, you could post 100 times a day and post 500 photos. Please do not start a new thread for each post though. If you have a number of ID questions, for instance,  all relevant to African plants, please post them all in the one thread.
Plant Identification Questions and Answers / Re: ID please
« Last post by Jo Bogaerts on March 21, 2024, 03:54:18 PM »
Thank you Maggi for your help . So if I post more as 1 item a day , they come together in one post ? Or do you prefer only one post a day ?
I hope that some people , who know the plants in Southern Africa , do find my post. I am eager to learning ... :)
Pleione and Orchidaceae / Unknown Pleione hybrids for ID/grex
« Last post by arisaema on March 21, 2024, 03:42:59 PM »
This was bought as P. bulbocodioides, and is apparently fully hardy here in N Denmark... It's obviously a hybrid, I'm guessing 'Shantung'? If anyone spots signs of virus on either please let me know...

This was bought as 'Tolima', does it look correct?

Is this perhaps  Hirpicium gazanioides ???
719579-0   Hermannia ???
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal