We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus canaliculatus  (Read 1701 times)

John85

Narcissus canaliculatus
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »
How hardy are they without snowcover but in good draining mixture?
This year the foliage has been badly damaged by a frost of -8¨c and they didn't recover.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Narcissus canaliculatus
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
To be honest John, I'm not too sure how hardy they are.... because every time I have planted them here they have barely flowered the first year, then made a few leaves with a very occasional flower in the next year or two then disappeared altogether... maybe with a few leaves hanging on for a while.... so I'm not sure if it is frost that kills them off or they just dwindle away for some other reason.  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
As this is one of the very few species Narcissus that is commonly available here as bulbs, I've planted packets of bulbs a few times and never had one survive the winter... although I doubt that's surprising in the least to all of you folks in zones 7 and 8.  ;)
So-called "rock garden narcissus" (i.e. dwarf hybrids, usually) generally do well here, though, despite our normally inconsistent snow cover and low winter temperatures, so from that I have assumed that N. canaliculatus is less hardy.  (God only knows why it's sold here!)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:54:22 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
They grow very well here but can be shy to flower. I have one area where they flower well and another where I have lush foliage but only a very, very few flowers. Last winter we had -10C, exceptional for us, and they were all fine. This cold snap came in mid-winter when they were dormant and had no effect on them.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

wooden shoe

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »
Half of them survived -17 C when they were in full dormancy. But last winter started mild but had a cold spell till -15.5 C and I can't find a trace of them. So I'm afraid they are not the most hardy Narcissus.
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal