We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 8870 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Galanthus in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »
Howdy All,

I'm posting a new thread here for Galanthus as I realise that many people don't actually read the southern hemisphere threads up on the "Flowering Now" section.  I'm sure we used to have a similar one to this, but maybe that was before the move to the new forum?  I'm not in NZ so I thought I'd better not hijack their thread, but they're welcome to use this one as it is for all the southern hemisphere growers.

Here's just a few Galanthus that I have flowering at the moment.....

24613-0
'Gladysdale' is an Aussie cultivar as far as I know.  Lovely form to it.

24615-1
'Merlin' is a really striking flower, with almost totally green inner petals.  Lovely substance to the flower too.

24617-2
This is a nivalis which came amongst a bunch I bought mail order from a nursery a few years ago.  I'm assuming it is one of the "Sharlockii" types that I've read about as it has the split spathe valve.  It has grown and multiplied very well, forming a good clump in a relatively short time.  It flowers well before any of the other single nivalis, which are only just in bud here.  The double forms are also out now though.

24619-3
This is an unknown elwesii seedling I got from somewhere years ago.  The petals are very long, giving the flower a very large appearance even though it doesn't have the substance of some of the named forms.  Definitely well worth having, and larger than pretty much any other Galanthus I have flowered.

I have lots of other forms out at the moment but will leave it there.  I'm guessing that many of them are pretty common to some of you guys, except perhaps the Australian forms.  Let me know if you want others posted.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rob

Re: Galanthus in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:37:13 PM »
Please post some more snowdrops as ours are still a couple of months away.

Hopefully Mark will offer an opinion on whether it is a "Sharlockii" type, the ears are usually closer to the flower?

Midlands, United Kingdom

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 04:48:55 PM »
I have to agree Paul, please post more as we are devoid of 'drops for a while yet :'(
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 05:14:42 PM »
Paul,

Delighted to have you post your photographs of galanthus as it is a pleasure to see them out of season for us but also to see the cultivars which you grow in the southern hemisphere. Postings from the southern hemisphere are of great interest to us here - always an interesting selection of plants as well as excellent comment.

So, Paul, please post more and more.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 06:26:12 PM »
Definiely from the Sharlockii Group.

'Gladysdale' is a lovely flower
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 05:16:38 AM »
Howdy again All!!

Here's a few more pics of Galanthus I grow.  Many of these have already finished flowering, but I thought people may still like to see them.  Incidentally, I was asked about the size of the last flower above, the one that I mentioned had long petals.  The petals are approximately 3.9cm from the ovary to the tip.  That isn't the largest variety I have, but it is the second largest.

This one .....

25348-0

is the largest flowerer that I have flowered, although I have another that on a good year I think may rival it.  This is 'Eric's Choice' and it had petals this year that were 4.3cm from the ovary to the tip of the petals.  It is very stubstantial and just looks massive in the garden.  This is an Australian bred variety.  Mine has finally produced an offset which is fantastic, so I got 2 flowers this year.  This finished flowering about a week or so ago.

25350-1

This is 'Essie Huxley' (another Aussie one) and really doesn't do her justice.  The petals are broad and look fantastic in a clump.  She's just starting to go over now, but still look good, just not as impressive as when fresh.

25352-2

'Ophelia' this year has far more green than usual.  She looks alsmot identical to one I grow called 'Lavinia' but she doesn't normally.  She seems to have a lot more green this year, and given that friends have the same problem it is obviously something in the climate this year that has caused it.

25354-3

This is one of my very favourites.... 'Sibbertoft Manor'.  Such thick blooms, with a wonderful hourglass marking.

25356-4

'Wandin' is I think another Aussie bred one.  Good substance again.  'Gladysdale', while similar is I think a better form, but it is the first time I have had it flower for me, whereas 'Wandin' I have had for many years and it multiples and flowers brilliantly, both in pots and the garden.

I'm trying to show some of the ones I grow, while pointing out some of the better Australian ones I have come across (and I definitely don't grow all the Australian varieties, although I would like to do so if I can find them all).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 05:24:48 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 08:28:31 AM »
Here's a couple of pics from Otto of a new double nivalis, which he's naming "Angie".
And an elwesii which he thinks should be called "Caspar" after the Cartoon Ghost! I think it looks sad and should be "Spooky"
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:30:22 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:49:37 AM »
Galanthus elwesii with faces are very common and can be found in dry garden centre bulbs
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:20:07 AM »
Otto and Fermi,

When you go into production and start your sales.... I'll buy one of each thanks.  I love both of them.  Mark, elwesii with faces may be common for you, but personally I have never seen one before.  That one of Otto's is just so cute!!  I really like both of Otto's because they're so distinct, unlike many others!!  ::)

In all seriousness Otto, if you do want to part with any please let me know.  I would love to collect all the Australian forms, and those two are wonderfully distinct from any others.  I think 'Spooky' would be a cool name for that face.  I think you'd need to be explaining the 'Caspar' all the time.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:21:49 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 10:24:13 PM »
Lovely snowdrops. I'm thrilled that Otto is naming his new double as `Angie.' Our friend Tim will be delighted too. She and it are treasures.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 10:41:58 PM »
Beautiful snowdrops, Paul, and that spooky elwesii made me chuckle ;D
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 08:23:31 AM »
Here's a pic of the G.elwesii that Otto has named "Freidl".
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 07:56:34 PM »
Very elegant. Roll on snowdrop season up here.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 08:52:44 PM »
Hi Fermi ,

This Galanthus name ( Freidl) is missspelled - it's must be "Friedl" - that is a german pre name ( from Elfriede )
This name is also written in the Galanthus Book from Bishop ,Grimsaw and Davis -please look page 71 - it is a G. elwesii cultivar .
May be can Otto this confirm .

Greetings
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 06:41:38 AM »
Servus Hans,

Yes, Fermi has mispelled my Galanthus elwesii seedling. As you say, it should be 'Friedl' as mentioned in the Galanthus book. It is not an outstanding cultivar. Friedl's parents (not the snowdrop's) were indeed German. Gal. 'Mighty Atom' is in flower today. Wow - what an impact! As well as 3 yellows. The double 'Lady Elphinstone', 'Primrose Warburg' and 'Spindelstone Surprise'. However, if I could only grow one snowdrop it would be 'S. Arnott'. There are drifts of hundreds and hundreds in my garden and much admired by my visitors - and coveted by my neighbour Tim Orpin.

Ciao, Otto
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal