We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Visit to Rams Island to looks at snowdrops  (Read 2706 times)

Sean Fox

Re: Visit to Rams Island to looks at snowdrops
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
There are bluebells but they are mainly hybrids with the Spanish bluebell. This year they will be sprayed to kill them. Where can the caretaker buy bluebell seeds?

Mark what is he spraying them with to kill them as I have been trying to kill the ones in my garden for the last 3 years.

I've got a similar problem in my garden with Spanish bluebells. What tough plants these are and certainly are taking some time to eradicate. If only my snowdrop could be so robust!! >:(

I have managed to eradicate them from our small front garden, I dug two spits deep and sieved the soil with great care.  Unfortunately I am still digging the odd one up here and there in the back garden where they are bought by birds. Vigilance is the watchword!
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Visit to Rams Island to looks at snowdrops
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
Maggi - You're quite right.  The company I work for imports hundreds of Hippeastrums every year. Virtually every one of them has Stag.  How they pass inspection here is beyond me and the problem is getting worse every year. This year the outer bulbs layers were sopping to the touch here and there.  Of course they flower well and root gingerly. Clean ones grown from seed perform like different plants. What's the chance of them being around next year? Maybe it's a plot for repeat sales.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal