We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop worries in Kent  (Read 8236 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Snowdrop worries in Kent
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:54 PM »
Well here is what a pot of Green Light looked like earlier today, although the photograph was taken as a record of development rather than to show it off to best effect.  You can see the green tip on the outer of the flower that has dropped and the colour of the leaves.  Having both these features on the same snowdrop makes it unique.

Hmm the description says:
"The first green-tipped, green-leaved snowdrop, an amazing combination."  - Well you may or may not be amazed but I think it's the only one of its kind.
"The amount of green tipping can vary from season to season." - True, there is always some green tipping but the one in the photograph is about as strong as it gets.
"Medium vigour and mid-season. Discovered in the Cambridge area a few years ago."  - I'm pretty sure that pot started with a single bulb in 2009 so at the moment that one's in vigour-overdrive!  It is also on the early side of typical nivalis snowdrops.      
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:22:51 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Sean Fox

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »
Fantastic  :P

Thanks Alan!
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2011, 06:35:59 AM »
Steve,
I understand what you are talking about. The same things I can say about auriculas. Species plants are much sturdier than cultivars.
No snowdrops are native to Moscow area. But some species we grow are of wide ecological amplitude and tolerate to our climate and weather.

And I also agree with you and Alan. No reasons to hurry with listing new cultivars.

Jennie, my congratulations! :) ‘Snowdrop joy in Kent’.  :D
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal