We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2011  (Read 57931 times)

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
Re: Galanthus January 2011
« Reply #375 on: January 30, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »
Well done Cheryl.  Your first picture post - and lovely pictures too. 

Ailwyn is such a perfect double.  ex Emma Thick gets around doesn't she. ;)   I've not noticed my Elfin yet - will have to go and have a look for it when the sun comes up.  What is the last photo of?

Can I ask where you are based Cheryl?

Cheryl lives 5 miles away from me and is my cousin   8) 
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #376 on: January 30, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »
4 - My first flower on JM6 (or JMDS-7B2-6 as it is also known  ;D) - I've been waiting a few years for this after a postal blunder where the parcel took almost 2 months to reach me.  A very sad looking mess was unwrapped but luckily there was a small solid bulb in the centre of the mess.  A couple of patient years of feeding the leaves and I've been rewarded with a beautiful little flower.   8)

It certainly is a beauty John, what is the inside mark like?  Your patience has it's own reward - in bundles.  I will show my ignorance and ask who is JM?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #377 on: January 30, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
I have to laugh to myself at seeing all these Galanthus 'Trymmer'/'Trimmer' (depending on which year it was bought), mine is about an inch out of the ground so nowhere near flowering ::)  A couple of photos, first a salutary lesson to myself, a snowdrop with a lost label.  I always used to put a spare label in the bottom of the pot out of reach of all the blackbirds so I would know what was what if they had fun with the labels.  I didn't with this one and now face trying to discover what it is by a long process of elimination - serves me right :-X  Still it's a nice snowdrop :D
Second my first flowering of a gift from a Cottage Garden friend G.'Elmley Lovett' and lastly the first flowering of some twin-scaling (the Hatchet man strikes again Maggi) of 'Maidwell C' or should that be 'Enid Bromley'? The mark is not as clear as on the parent plant so may need to have a mature bulb to show the full effect.  The jury is still out on the naming and it seems to depend on whether this was acquired from Margaret Owen before she lost the original clump or after the seedling form was discovered.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #378 on: January 30, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »
I've not noticed my Elfin yet - will have to go and have a look for it when the sun comes up.

Just found my clump of 'Elfin' - or should I say SLUG FOOD!   ::)  Got there in the nick of time with the slug killer to hopefully see a few flowers to maturity this year!  :-\
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #379 on: January 30, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
David is doing a great job with these pix, Brian.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

lettuce begin

« Reply #380 on: January 30, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »
Thankyou all for the warm welcome and encouragement re photos,
as emma says John I'm also in deepest Dorset.
Ailwyn had been in a frame and had been fully out for awhile.
I 'm sorry I dont Know who no 4 is John as it and many others were
rescued from a garden makeover, so if anyone can help I would be grateful.
I liked because of its wonderful big leaves it is also nicely marked inside.
I will try to post  pics later. More frozen knees!!!
Thankyou maggie for explaining about the 500kb, I'm a bit dense when it comes
to the technical side of computer thingys. cheryl
Cheryl England

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #381 on: January 30, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »
Getting confused here. Emma showed a shot of ex Emma Thick which I assume is a seedling of 'Emma Thick'. Lettuce begin showed us x Emma Thick which I assume is the hybrid 'Emma Thick'.   I am confused?   ???

Olga - As I grow many snowdrops in pots the order of flowering may well be different when they are plant outdoors. Then we might see an entirely different order of bloom depending on fast they come out of the deep dormancy caused by frozen ground.  It would be a good project to compare order in milder Europe and the colder parts of the world.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
Brian - Your lost label looks a bit like Bushmills or am I daft?  But then the ovary is not long enough  ??? ??? ???

johnw  - -3c

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #383 on: January 30, 2011, 03:39:06 PM »
Brian - Your lost label looks a bit like Bushmills or am I daft?  But then the ovary is not long enough  ??? ??? ???

johnw  - -3c

No I don't have Bushmills John, the only Bushmills I know comes in a bottle ;D

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #384 on: January 30, 2011, 03:46:08 PM »
Just before I went to a meeting, which unfortunately meant sitting on the bypass for an hour and forty minutes because of an accident, I took this photo to show you how far behind my G.'Trimmer' is...at least there will be one flower ;)

steve owen

« Reply #385 on: January 30, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »
Two more today before it got too cold..
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #386 on: January 30, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
Just before I went to a meeting, which unfortunately meant sitting on the bypass for an hour and forty minutes because of an accident, I took this photo to show you how far behind my G.'Trimmer' is...at least there will be one flower ;)
just noticed I hadn't put the photo on!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #387 on: January 30, 2011, 05:56:21 PM »
Getting confused here. Emma showed a shot of ex Emma Thick which I assume is a seedling of 'Emma Thick'. Lettuce begin showed us x Emma Thick which I assume is the hybrid 'Emma Thick'.   I am confused?   ???

Emma can probably explain this better, but my understanding is that the snowdrop she found does not have a name of its own (it was not deemed quite worthy by the powers that be in the snowdrop world) so is simply referred to as "ex Emma Thick".  Any other form of this name is simply an abbreviation.  Despite it's lack of name I would be happy to grow this snowdrop in my collection if I got the chance.   
Almost in Scotland.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #388 on: January 30, 2011, 06:55:48 PM »
Cheryl,

Good to have you on the SRGC forum. Welcome!
Also, your "ex Emma Thick" is a very attractive snowdrop, very nicely marked and, although there  may be others with similar marks, it is a good one to have.

It is no wonder John Weagle is confused over "ex" or "x" Emma Thick - after all he has been on the Bushmills.

This has brought on an urge to have an Irish coffee, with Bushmills, of course.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

johnw

« Reply #389 on: January 30, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »

Brian - You must be expecting a sizeable clump in the future with a Trimmer label that big!

Nice lot of Acton Pigot there Steve.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:56:59 PM by johnw »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal