We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2011  (Read 57932 times)

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
Re: Galanthus January 2011
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »
I have worked it all out!
I can supply if someone is interested, with the doses used.
Insect + 1gr/ltr and when the insect are under control 1gr/10ltr this is for several insects flying and soilinsects.

Plant +  1gr/10ltr This vitalises the bulbs or rhizomes and the whole plant itself. Use about 4 times a year, 1x before planting, 1x first sprouts,1x after flowring, 1x full growth.

Desinfection 1gr/ltr to 1gr/10 ltr for the bulbs or rhizomes or whatso ever, you want to keep healthy during saving them, but can be used on the plants too and soiltreatment
 Use 1x before planting, 1x during growingseason, 1x washing the bulbs. Reduces the growth of Fungus and neutralises the new fungus elements.

Compost + 1gr/10ltr Makes the compostizing proces easier and no more dirty smells when you move it! All the nutrients get better available for the plants.

If you still want to use chemicals try to do a test. Treat some plants with the SiO2 and some plants with the common chemicals and see the results.

Gerard Oud

« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2011, 05:43:43 PM »
Mixing the SiO2 is of course with water! ;D
So 1gr/10 ltr water.

I am going to fill some zipbags with 20 gr each from the different forms and this will cost 2,50 euro each. Till 250 gr international shipping in a letterbox envelope with handling will cost 5 euro, but i dont know the actual 2011 shippingcosts.

20 grams will be enough for the average gardener i think. If you want more let me know!

The best results are when you make the solution 24hours before using!

I hope i have explained it enough, if there are still some questions please let me know!

kind regards,

Gerard

Gerard Oud

« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »
I prefer the Trumps too Jo!
What a beauty!

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »
I prefer the Trumps too Jo!
What a beauty!

And I was going to say the opposite - that I prefer 'David Baker'. The outer segment on 'Trumps' around the green marks looks like it is malformed.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »
It makes sense that extremely fine-grained SiO2 (silica) would be effective against insects, as it apparently blocks their spiracles (suffocates them, essentially).  This is the idea behind diatomaceous earth, which is largely just very fine-grained silica.  I don't understand why it would be effective against viruses... ?   
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Sean Fox

« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2011, 08:30:53 PM »
It makes sense that extremely fine-grained SiO2 (silica) would be effective against insects, as it apparently blocks their spiracles (suffocates them, essentially).  This is the idea behind diatomaceous earth, which is largely just very fine-grained silica.  I don't understand why it would be effective against viruses... ?   

I don't think Gerard was making claims about its effectiveness against viruses Lori, more on bacterial and fungal diseases. I would be interested to know what the coating is on the SiO2 though Gerard?

Jo, I have to agree with Paddy, I prefer David Baker, although it's a very close call because both are stunning.
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »
I don't think Gerard was making claims about its effectiveness against viruses Lori, more on bacterial and fungal diseases.

There is a form that you can use against insects and virus too, but i have not tried these yet!

I was referring to the second quote, above, which implies effectiveness against viruses.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Sean Fox

« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »
Ah I see  ::)
Maybe he meant virus prevention rather than a cure?
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Gerard Oud

« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:43 PM »
For what has been explained to me it activates the bulbs immunesystem against virus. Some people get the flue and some dont, why because of theire immunesystem.
We have seen plants that had been treated with it that were half virused and half healthy. In tulips the half of the flower was virused and the other half good.
Its not a coating it comes from inside after activation.

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
Jo,
I love the elegant form of David Baker.

Still flowering since the snow has gone is this one, not as special as David Baker or Trumps but fowering early.
Best wishes,
Renate

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #235 on: January 20, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »

Steve  - Which fungicide did you use? Have you found it effective in the past?

johnw - -1c, low last night -10c (coldest to date), rain and +6c by morning.
John

Like Mark I use the carbendazim I bought in the days when it could be obtained, but its very strong stuff and I've just got some Citrox (see the Unwins website) to try using.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  For the records carbendazim = Bavistin and the old North American benomyl=benlate.   As mentioned several years ago Benomyl/Benlate quickly converts to carbendazim upon contact with water/soil.  

I am tending a greenhouse locally and 25 big new Hippeastrums. They are badly infected with Stag though they passed Ag Canada from Holland. One would think the growers would finance research into this pernicious problem.  I wash thoroughly before going near any snowdrop!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #236 on: January 20, 2011, 12:05:15 AM »
I am going to fill some zipbags with 20 gr each from the different forms and this will cost 2,50 euro each.

Gerard - Tell me it's not a white powder!  Customs may freak out, alot of Galanthophiles in jail in January!. :o :o :o

johnw
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:07:02 AM by johnw »

johnw

« Reply #237 on: January 20, 2011, 12:20:54 AM »
We've had two days of beautiful sunshine and its brought on quite a few snowdrops.  Trumps and David Baker are both fully out now, in pots.  They have spent the winter in a sand plunge with no overhead protection.

Side by side I definately prefer Trumps by miles.  David Baker is showing the aberrant outers that Atkinsii gets.

Lovely David Baker Jo!

I am thoroughly confused by Trumps / Trymlet /Trym and wish I could see them side by side.  Here they don't often flare their outers when the camera is ready.

johnw - most of the snow gone after large rain overnight, cold coming. +3c

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2011, 05:22:42 AM »
I am thoroughly confused by Trumps / Trymlet /Trym and wish I could see them side by side.

I've been meaning to do just such a photo for the last few years John.  I shall try to actually do one this year   :D - unless someone else beats me to it (Some of the 'Trymalikes' are quite a long way from flowering here.  I think there may be some Trimmer already in flower - I'll look over the weekend when I should see my garden in daylight again!   :-\  Getting fed up with viewing it by torchlight after work each day.   ::)

The photo may need to be lots of pictures chopped up and put side by side in photoshop as their flowering season is rather spread out.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2011, 05:30:15 AM »
...not as special as David Baker or Trumps but flowering early.
A very welcome picture in January Renate.  

I really like both David Baker and Trumps - but do like the fact the Trumps looks correct each year, whereas DB seems a bit unpredictable on whether or not it decides to have green markings.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal