We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2011  (Read 57922 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Galanthus January 2011
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2011, 07:03:21 PM »
Steve I'll count mine tomorrow.

Yesterday I sprayed all of mine that are above ground, have their leaves apart but are still in bud. Some were done last week. When the flowers are over I'll spray again. I use carbendazim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbendazim
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Pascal B

« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »
Not sure about the UK but carbendazim could be bought under the name Bavistin in the Netherlands. It was available to gardeners but it is no longer allowed to be used I was told by the company I buy my pots, soil and other stuff from so they couldn't sell it anymore to me. This company mainly sells to the professional nurseries in and around the Aalsmeer area and I had to use Topsin-M (another systematic fungicide) as an alternative to combat Fusarium in Arisaema. In the UK generally the legislation is more strict than it is over here.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:54:08 PM by Pascal B »

steve owen

« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2011, 08:34:13 PM »

Steve  - Which fungicide did you use? Have you found it effective in the past?

johnw - -1c, low last night -10c (coldest to date), rain and +6c by morning.
John

Like Mark I use the carbendazim I bought in the days when it could be obtained, but its very strong stuff and I've just got some Citrox (see the Unwins website) to try using.

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »
There is a natural alternative its named SiO2 with the desinfectioncode. If someone is interested to try,it works and it costs very little and i can supply.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
There is a natural alternative its named SiO2 with the desinfectioncode.

Gerard, do you mean SiO2?  This is silicon dioxide or "silica".  It is also known as Quartz as a mineral or a glass.  Sand typically has a high silica content also.  I don't understand what you mean by "desinfectioncode".   
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »
I've just got some Citrox (see the Unwins website) to try using.

Specifically http://www.unwins.co.uk/greenhouse-and-pot-disinfectant-citrox-pid1498.html

"Effective against a wide range of bacterial and fungal diseases Dilution can be used to wash bulbs, corms and tubers."
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #216 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:21 AM »
Its too complicated too explane here on the forum, but in general its SiO2 powder in several forms with a extra element. We use it when we wash the Lilliebulbs for export, this year 100 Miljone. It activates the bulb and makes it resistant against fungicide, after testing the washingwater no elements of fungus of whatso ever were found!
I do use 4 forms for my snowdrops and no chemicals at all! And it works.
You know that we have to downsize on using chemicals every year because of the environment. And at this moment its only available for big companys, but i can arrange that it is available for us.
There is a form that you can use against insects and virus too, but i have not tried these yet!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
Gerard, I'd certainly be interested to try some of that.  For the last few years I have had a few snowdrops succumb to Stagonospora.  I haven't been able to do anything with the badly affected bulbs but nearby bulbs with traces of the mould can usually be saved by removing the affected parts.  I would like to be able to do better (without having to resort to old stock of withdrawn fungicides).   
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #218 on: January 19, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »
Its too complicated too explane here on the forum, but in general its SiO2 powder in several forms with a extra element. We use it when we wash the Lilliebulbs for export, this year 100 Miljone. It activates the bulb and makes it resistant against fungicide, after testing the washingwater no elements of fungus of whatso ever were found!
I do use 4 forms for my snowdrops and no chemicals at all! And it works.
You know that we have to downsize on using chemicals every year because of the environment. And at this moment its only available for big companys, but i can arrange that it is available for us.
There is a form that you can use against insects and virus too, but i have not tried these yet!

I would be very interested to try that Gerard, the anti- insect form too. I could get hold of carbendazim ,i do have my spraying license. I do prefer the organic way, if possible. I do use Round up on the gravel paths.
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Mavers

« Reply #219 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »
I would be interested to try your potion too Gerard especially as it is not dangerous to the environment.

Mike
Mike
Somerset, UK

Mavers

« Reply #220 on: January 19, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Alan & Steve, 'Citrox' really does seem interesting too.........

'A powerful concentrated organic citrus extract disinfectant for cleaning greenhouses, pots, staging, tools, seed trays, bird feeders and bird baths. Will not harm plant material so may also be used to disinfect water for washing cuttings, bulbs and corms. Pleasant smelling, safe and effective. Full instructions with each pack.
Use all round the greenhouse, potting-shed and garden
Clean pots, seed trays, capillary matting, staging and tools
Effective against a wide range of bacterial and fungal diseases
Dilute Citrox can be used to wash bulbs, corms and tubers
Effective on pond accessories and bird tables
Special Note - Can be added to water butts to keep water sweet and free from disease (dilute 25ml to 100 litres of water)'
Mike
Somerset, UK

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
Yes, I agree about Citrox and was motivated to order some in the large size obtainable here http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Citrox.html .  My reasoning was that it would be a useful "safe" disinfectant, even if it does nothing for snowdrops.  My thanks to Steve Owen for bringing this product to my attention. 
Almost in Scotland.

Mavers

« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
Yes Thanks Steve :)
Mike
Somerset, UK

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »
It could be good for when buying discounted bulbs at the end of bulb time at garden centres. Very often they have some mould on their tunics
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
We've had two days of beautiful sunshine and its brought on quite a few snowdrops.  Trumps and David Baker are both fully out now, in pots.  They have spent the winter in a sand plunge with no overhead protection.

Side by side I definately prefer Trumps by miles.  David Baker is showing the aberrant outers that Atkinsii gets.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal