We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2011  (Read 56803 times)

steve owen

Re: Galanthus January 2011
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2011, 08:57:10 AM »
So at the conclusion of this thread, is there an accepted authoritative Beth Chatto (if so, growing where?) and is there an accepted authoritative image of it (again, which one?).
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #421 on: February 01, 2011, 08:59:18 AM »
Well, Steve, I can say, with some confidence, that the definitive 'Beth Chatto' does not reside in my garden and that my photograph above is not an accurate representation of said bulb.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #422 on: February 01, 2011, 09:10:22 AM »
Out of interest, here is a copy of an e-mail sent to the Beth Chatto Nursery this morning. If there is a response, I will post it here.

Paddy

username=Paddy Tobin
usermail=pmtobin@eircom.net
comment=http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6443.msg182771#msg182771

Please refer to the link above where there is a short discussion on Galanthus plicatus 'Beth Chatto'. You will read of my purchase of a  bulb of same from you in 2005 and my delight that after five years of producing only one flower each year it is now showing six flower buds this spring. However, on posting a photograph from last year, other members of the Scottish Rock Garden Forum have pointed out that the bulb I grow is not true to description and is not, in fact, G. 'Beth Chatto' at all.

Can you rectify this for me, please?

Yours Sincerely, Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #423 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
So at the conclusion of this thread, is there an accepted authoritative Beth Chatto (if so, growing where?) and is there an accepted authoritative image of it (again, which one?).

pp146/7 of the monograph is the answer Steve.  I would think that respected growers like Rod Leeds and Janet Lecore, who have both been growing for some time, are more than likely to have the correct form, and I know that Janet would check on hers regularly to ensure so.  We can only continue looking for it, I have seen it on lists, rarely, but am loathe to part with money unless I know the grower/seller is likely to have the true form....perhaps I am getting too cynical, but money doesn't grow on trees even though it seems like it with ebay prices ::) ::)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

steve owen

« Reply #424 on: February 01, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
Brian

I agree absolutely. Prices apart, we have got to have certainty that the label against a plant in the garden is accurate - after all, there are too many look-alike named varieties for us to say well, it looks like X" or I think it might be X".

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #425 on: February 01, 2011, 11:00:19 AM »
This 'Beth Chatto' picture on a normally reliable German website looks like something else again:

http://www.galanthus-online.de/kultivare-a-d/beth-chatto.html

Janet's looks quite globular, but the mark seems to be pretty thick in the middle while the book says the basal and apical marks should be narrowly joined. It's a pity the pic in the book is so small and doesn't show the mark.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #426 on: February 01, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
This 'Beth Chatto' picture on a normally reliable German website looks like something else again:

Janet's looks quite globular, but the mark seems to be pretty thick in the middle while the book says the basal and apical marks should be narrowly joined. It's a pity the pic in the book is so small and doesn't show the mark.

The plot thickens!  Just a thought, but in a snowdrop like Galanthus 'Deerslot', the best mark is normally only present on one side, would this apply to others Martin?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »

The plot thickens!  Just a thought, but in a snowdrop like Galanthus 'Deerslot', the best mark is normally only present on one side, would this apply to others Martin?

None that I'm aware of, but then I'm far from being the best person to answer that. Hopefully, if the true plant is still around, there might be a better picture in the new book. I guess it might be worthwhile someone asking the people at the Beth Chatto Gardens if they have a photo of he real thing that shows details of the mark.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2011, 07:08:32 PM »
I have just mailed Beth Chatto nursery and asked for a photo of the real snowdrop G plicatus Beth Chatto.

I had to mail anyway as I had a string cutter without a blade and a Veronicastrum which did not grow last year, so I included my request for the photo within the same email.  I hope to get a reply and I will post the photograph if and when I get one.

The plot thickens.  I thought I had a photo from last year as it was on display but on closer inspection I noted I had taken it of the wrong plant and it was G Armine which was next to it  :)

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »
I had to mail anyway as I had a string cutter without a blade and a Veronicastrum which did not grow last year ...

Good for you Jennie.  All too often I shut up and put up having receiving diseased or misidentified bulbs (not from BC).
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:15 PM »
I spoke to Joe tonight and he says

"Beth Chatto should have a perfect hour glass inner mark that is never two marks"
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal