We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus reginae olgae exchange  (Read 4307 times)

Pauli

Galanthus reginae olgae exchange
« on: July 18, 2007, 07:02:42 AM »
Hello,
I grow a type of Galanthus reginae olgae for a few years, that is different from what is usually grown at least in Austria : It flowers very late, usually October-November, with late flowers open till christmas. It is very vigorous and  hardy here witout any protection. The flowers look better if they are protected during flowering. Normal reginae-olgae here flowers end of September-October. Normally the two types do not overlap with their flowering very much.

I want to exchange several bulbs. I most enjoy other bulbs from a mediterranen climate, but on top of my wish list is a true Sternbergia greuteriana and perhaps Onco-Irisis. If you are interested please e-mail me and say what you have to offer.

Best wishes from hot (35 C) Austria!

Herbert
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Galanthus reginae olgae exchange
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:25:45 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, Herbert.  I hope you survive the high temperatures.... it is not so warm in the UK at present! I cannot help you with your request, though the form of G. regina olgae you describe is most interesting. I imagine others here will be able to assist you.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:50:35 PM »
Now I'm wondering if Herbert's form is the same as the one I have which is always very late compared with those in other gardens. I've always assumed it was because it's in a dry place and didn't get rain until very late in autumn or even early winter. Mine's in flower now. (equivilent to Jan for you in the north, but it's definitely G. reginae-olgae.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:13:22 AM »
Pauli Galanthus reginae-olgae flowers over a long period usually starting in October. I'll have to check my records to see when it flowered last year
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 07:42:12 PM »
mine are just pushing through
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 09:06:21 PM »
Hello,
I grow a type of Galanthus reginae olgae for a few years, that is different from what is usually grown at least in Austria : It flowers very late, usually October-November, with late flowers open till christmas. It is very vigorous and  hardy here witout any protection. The flowers look better if they are protected during flowering. Normal reginae-olgae here flowers end of September-October. Normally the two types do not overlap with their flowering very much.

I want to exchange several bulbs. I most enjoy other bulbs from a mediterranen climate, but on top of my wish list is a true Sternbergia greuteriana and perhaps Onco-Irisis. If you are interested please e-mail me and say what you have to offer.

Best wishes from hot (35 C) Austria!

Herbert

Herbert,
I am interested by your Galanthus reginae olgae. I have true Sternbergia greuteriana, very little flower. Have you other Galanthus to exchange ? or other bulbs ? My speciality is Colchicum-Crocus-Tulipa
Dominique
do

Pontoux France

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 09:22:04 PM »
Dominique, would you please send me your postal address so I can send the Narcissus seed?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal