We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mycorrhizal Fungi Products  (Read 3613 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Mycorrhizal Fungi Products
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:45:10 PM »
I wonder if anybody has used these on their snowdrops and if they saw an effect?  They are supposed to enhance the performance of a plant's root system and thereby promote growth.
Almost in Scotland.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
Re: Mycorrhizal Fungi Products
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:17:48 PM »
I wonder if anybody has used these on their snowdrops and if they saw an effect?  They are supposed to enhance the performance of a plant's root system and thereby promote growth.

Sounds like a scam to me, though one that incorporates a grain of truth to beguile the unwary.

There are definitely groups of plants that demand that certain microrrhizae be present: orchids, conifers, and (iirc) Ericaceae are among them. However, when this symbiosis is present, it's very specific. Not just any old microrrhizal fungus will work.

Moreover, a good many, perhaps most, plants do not require microrrhizae.

I'd say, don't waste your money.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:37:33 PM »
Alan  -  I asked the same question several years ago.  There is a product called Myke (Premier) sold here in Canada. It has taken awhile to catch on but the commercial growers who use it say the results are impressive.  There is one specifically for bulbs and I was given a sample bag by the company but never got around to using it, I regret this.  They sell 4 or 5 different myccos for different plant groups. I believe it was advised to avoid phosphorus applications for 4-5 weeks until the fungi caught hold.  I was waiting for the rhodo mycco but was told it is the most difficult one to produce, don't know if it's on the market yet.  Most of the company's sales are to commercial growers. I recall the bag had an expiry date  - about 16 months.

johnw
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:23:43 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

steve owen

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »
Alan

I grow quite a lot of acers, both palmatum varieties and others. Mycorrhizal fiungi are a recommended root treatment when planting. Haven't heard of it in connection with bulb planting.

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »
I think mycorrhizae help to facilitate the break down of organic material in the soil and uptake by plant roots. Given that we add nutrients to our soil they are unnecessary and can be detrimental. I treat all my orchids with a systemic fungicide.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
Alan
......... Mycorrhizal fiungi are a recommended root treatment when planting [Acers]. Haven't heard of it in connection with bulb planting.
Steve

As Johnw pointed out, in Canada there is a product marketed specifically for bulbs.  But this does not necessarily mean it's significantly different from other mycorrhizal funghi products.

I think mycorrhizae help to facilitate the break down of organic material in the soil and uptake by plant roots. Given that we add nutrients to our soil they are unnecessary and can be detrimental. I treat all my orchids with a systemic fungicide.

I don't necessarily add nutrients to the soil in which I grow my snowdrops.  In fact, most of them live in pots at present and I content myself with changing the compost regularly.  Is there a systemic fungicide for snowdrops?   
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
Alan, carbendazim is a systemic fungicide and the one that's recommended for snowdrops, but of course not on sale to amateur gardeners any more.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »
Alan - The Premier Biotech fellow will be here on 15 April. I will ask him specifically about the Myke bulb formulation.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal