We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: digression from thread; photos of the 2010 'drop Gala  (Read 8587 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: digression from thread; photos of the 2010 'drop Gala
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 11:26:47 PM »
Looks like WonderWoman has been eating too many donuts & pizza slices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <---oops, one too many exclamMarks  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:27:20 AM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 11:30:58 PM »
Rather than sit down at a dinner table with people I was already friends with (although I did that too), I often thought it fun to sit down at a table with complete strangers, to see what conversation could be mustered, to get to know new people.

Yes, that's a grand method to meet folks and one that Ian and I often use at such gatherings.
Of course it's nice to meet up with old friends.... but it can be so interesting to meet new people.... after all, if you don't like them, you don't have to LIVE with them!

One time when Ian was the SRGC President, and he sat down at a table with some folks he did not recognise  he thought the people seemed  to be looking at him a bit strangely.... what's wrong, he said, were you keeping this seat for someone else? No, they said, but you're the SRGC president, you don't know us, we're just members.....   he nearly fell off the seat at that....gave them a good talking too that no-one was JUST a member and that now they knew him and he knew them.....  that was their first conference and they've been back to everyone since!

It can be hard at busy events for the Speakers or folks with , as we say in Scotland, "weel kent faces" to have time to chat with everyone when there are many demands upon your time other than just purely having fun.... but there's usually someone about who is happy to meet and greet and make you welcome..... stick with it, shy souls... perhaps all those other folk are feeling just as hy as you, only they are getting to know some folks and making the best of it!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »
Looks like WonderWoman has been eating too many donuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <---oops, one too many exclamMarks  ;D

Watch it! I'll have you know my hours here are long and engrossing so I may not eat as healthily as I would want....but I think I look pretty good in the costume and dark wig.....I admit that being pictured with the slice of pizza may have been a mistake.....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »
  Rather than sit down at a dinner table with people I was already friends with (although I did that too), I often thought it fun to sit down at a table with complete strangers, to see what conversation could be mustered, to get to know new people. :D
I'd think the residents would notice. ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Mavers

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »
Hi Emma, yes I'm going to Snape on Sunday. I went over last Saturday to help Angela in the garden & really enjoyed it. I look forward to meeting you again, what time are you aiming to get there?

Hi Rob, I just knew what you were talking about & for me knowing someone else has the same feelings is very encouraging. I look forward to meeting the peeps on this forum at some future venue.

Mike
Mike
Somerset, UK

TheOnionMan

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:34:40 AM »
  Rather than sit down at a dinner table with people I was already friends with (although I did that too), I often thought it fun to sit down at a table with complete strangers, to see what conversation could be mustered, to get to know new people. :D
I'd think the residents would notice. ::)

???
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:35 PM »
If whoever you sat down to dinner with were strangers, you would have to be an uninvited guest, (or else have just invited some random people in off the street). The former would be the cheaper option I'd go for. The scene in "National Lampoon's European Vacation" when the whole family bulldozed themselves into the wrong house and stayed for dinner (and the night) was really funny.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

TheOnionMan

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 12:44:34 PM »
If whoever you sat down to dinner with were strangers, you would have to be an uninvited guest, (or else have just invited some random people in off the street). The former would be the cheaper option I'd go for. The scene in "National Lampoon's European Vacation" when the whole family bulldozed themselves into the wrong house and stayed for dinner (and the night) was really funny.

That is a very funny scene in European Vacation. 

The scenario I describe is different... attending a large NARGS conference (300-500 people) at a large hotel function room, at a lunch or dinner there are typically tables that will seat 8-10 people, one could rush to gather up one's friends to sit together, or as is so often the case, there are tables where people reluctantly sit together with people they don't know because there are only certain number of tables and seats, just the logistics of large group dining events. As a long time NARGS member I like to sit at these tables to help break the ice and meet new people. 
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »
I hope you do come to a Gala again Rob , we can all be shy together  :)

Angela Winfield at snape cottage describes the club within a club  as inner and outer segments .

Snape Cottage is open on Sunday if any ones in Dorset.
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
I'm sorry your experience of your first gala wasn't a happy one, Rob. I saw you with Joe but didn't recognise you or I'd have said hi (then again I'm terrible at recognising people and remembering names). I've been growing snowdrops for over thirty years and my parents for nearly 50 years, and I've been going to galas on and off for the last ten years or so, but I still only know a few people at the gala well enough to speak to them. Like you I'm not very outgoing and seem to make new contacts at about the rate of one per gala! Maybe it would be a good idea if people at the gala had badges? Please don't give up. I'm sure there aren't many people in snowdrop growing circles who haven't felt a bit excluded  and unwelcome at some time or another. I know I have.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
Rob -  Emma's right.  

It's the outers who have the best time at these shows anyway.  Keep in mind, for the most part, inners (inner circle) are decent folk too.  I learned my lesson years ago and usually avoid the inners like the plague at these sort of events; they are stressed to the max - have usually been up for nights preparing exhibits, doing inventory, sorting what's decent to sell, preparing lists and catalogues, dealing with traffic, flat tires and regulations at the venue, missing tables, cash floats, trying to look pretty too despite the stress, doing retail to sell the stuff so they can eat next season. The inners are usually asked to sort out nomenclatural problems and judge too. And the public can be relentlessly demanding to add to their stress.   Most have not eaten on top of all this. I might give them a nod if I know them but that's it.  Amazingly a few can rise above it all.

Usually they return to normal on home turf and that's where to catch them.  

So don't give up by any means.  I was bashful once, I'm sure there are now those who wish I still were.    

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
Are already penty of events & shows but I would be happy to host a more "informal" meet here (Benington Lordship in Herts) next year if anyone is interested? no cost, no tickets, no sales tables ... ;) just turn up, cuppa cake & chat and enjoy the drops.

is a shame that anyone should ever feel excluded when there's a common interest & passion that everyone shares, but I do understand the nature of these things, I attended an event last year (nothing to do with plants) and was like a fish out of water  ;) but it has led to me doing something I've always wanted to do.

just an idea, and if anyone ever wants to visit just let me know.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
Are already penty of events & shows but I would be happy to host a more "informal" meet here (Benington Lordship in Herts) next year if anyone is interested? no cost, no tickets, no sales tables ... ;) just turn up, cuppa cake & chat and enjoy the drops.

What a kind offer Richard - that sounds lovely.  If others are interested I'll bring the cake!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:13:04 PM by Maggi Young »
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:38 PM »
Tea and cake  ;D im up for that
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »
If others are interested I'll bring the cake!

done  ;D

I'll sort something out pre season next year to get an idea of interest/numbers, know it's a busy time of year for many but am sure It'll be easy enough to organise.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal