We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March - April2007  (Read 68969 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus March - April2007
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2007, 07:19:23 PM »
Here's what I found tonight. Galanthus 'Diggory' and Narcissus 'Gipsy Queen'. Only one word can describe them
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #241 on: September 12, 2007, 08:01:24 PM »
Yuk?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2007, 08:04:33 PM »
the top bulb was cleaned and the maggot replaced after it got a wash too
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 11:14:20 PM by mark smyth »

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2007, 10:47:28 PM »
Mark, I'd clean up that Diggory bulb and cut off the rotten bits, then chop it into (not too small) chips lengthways, put into a bag of moist vermiculite and treat as bulb chips.

Don't throw it away just because the basal plate has gone (looks like it has). I've had snowdrop chips make bulbs from the sides of the chips, not from the basal plate, just as with lily scales, where the basal plate isn't essential for new bulbil production.

And don't worry about the lateness of the season. I tried chipping snowdrops in October once, as an experiment, and they produced bulblets not much later than those chipped in early Summer, and they caught up later.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #244 on: September 12, 2007, 11:15:36 PM »
OK I still have it. Have you ever tried just chipping a bulb and planting it again?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2007, 11:44:09 PM »
I've just noticed my own note about G. `Winterwood' and that Don Schofield didn't think it much different from straight `Atkinsii' though Marcus Harvey thought it was larger. Well, mine have flowered a second time, (still in a pot) and compared with my garden `Atkinsii,' it was very large indeed. I didn't get a pic, silly me but the white parts were 3.5cms long compared with little more than 2 for `Atkinsii.' I think when it's planted out and growing well, it will be spectacular. Well worth the name, and it couldn't be named for a lovlier garden, or a nicer man.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2007, 07:43:37 AM »
I would be reluctant to name a snowdrop that shows just the normal single mark. Naming here is out of hand for these types and leads to so much confusion in the future

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #247 on: September 13, 2007, 10:58:19 AM »
No Mark. I've replanted very badly rotted remnants of bulbs after cleaning up and soaking in fungicide but not actual chips. But if you don't have any vermiculite or haven't the time to fuss with all that, there's no reason you couldn't put the chips in a safe corner of a raised bed for example. They won't be as safe or develop as fast as in the more sterile, warm conditions of a properly prepared and stored chipping bag, but there's a fair chance they might still make some bulblets eventually. You'll just have to watch out for the small leaves if it does work, and put down some slug pellets. Better than binning the bits of bulbs.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #248 on: September 13, 2007, 11:03:29 AM »
Lesley, can you post a pic of Gal. 'Winterwood'? Ideally alongisde your 'Atkinsii' for comparison.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »
Lesley,

2cm petals sounds awfully small for 'Atkinsii'.  Unless I have something other than 'Atkinsii' under that name.  At this stage I can't see much difference between 'Atkinsii' and 'Winterwood', at least not in the 2 seasons I have had them.  Obviously they aren't in flower now, and the 'Winterwood' is in a pot not in the ground.  At the moment my clump of 'Atkinsii' has a lovely radial pattern of flower stems and seedpods radiating from it in all directions.  Obviously this was a good year for seed set from it.  I wonder whether there will be much difference in the seedlings?  I might just leave them as they are all laid out well away from the clump so shouldn't infiltrate it with imposters.  :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2007, 01:06:01 PM »
Paul, just so you don't get your hopes up and end up disappointed - 'Atkinsii' sets very little seed. You'll often see lots of seed pods forming but the vast majority usually abort later or swell up promisingly but have no seeds in them.

That's not to say you won't get the odd seed or two over the years, but don't expect loads. Some years I've gathered hundreds of pods from 'Atkinsii' and only found a few seeds. The problem isn't that it's a sterile triploid, but a hybrid with very low fertility.

The seedlings I've had from it also tend to be rather disappointing compared to the original.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but it can be very disappointing when you look in the pods at the end of the season, and even more so if after years of growing seedlings on you end up with nothing very interesting. Then again, you never know. You might get a good one.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2007, 01:17:25 PM »
Not party-pooping, Martin, just injecting healthy note of realism for anyone unfamiliar with such things... anyway, we are all eternal optimists here and will grow even the most umpromising stuff... just in case.... there's always the odd chance of something new.... :o
It is wise not to have TOO strongly  rose-tinted glasses, though  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2007, 01:23:32 PM »
Re new flower breaks , this may be of interest to  your Galanthophiles, this is my latest development in snowie breeding... i beleive it is the best thing to happen for years, queue up for the release  of bulbs in due course..
29163-0

Will you be reporting this to the Great White Mothership, Martin? ::)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »
ps. forgot to mention, it is a bi-generic hybrid, of course, between galanthus and fritillaria.... it wasn't easy to achieve this, I can tell you. :-X

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #254 on: September 13, 2007, 01:26:08 PM »
... we are all eternal optimists here and will grow even the most umpromising stuff... just in case.... there's always the odd chance of something new.... :o

Absolutely, Maggi. Some of the most exciting things in life come at us from highly unlikely and unexpected directions! (or am I thinking of spiders?)

P.S. Re. your growing interest in galanthophilia, details of the secret Snowdrop Handshake will follow in an encrypyed email. Please read and then eat it.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal