We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: can i freeze pollen?  (Read 3222 times)

robsorchids

can i freeze pollen?
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »
i was wondering if its possible to freeze the filaments/pollen grains from the reginae/peshmenii forms to be hybridised with spring flowering types?

or can i freeze spring types to be used with the autumn types? im hoping that it is possible, but i fear the freezing process destroys the pollen cells?

i know it is done with pleione orchids, in creating autumn/spring hybrids (like x Barcena)

it will be intresting to know if it can be done :)

rob

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: can i freeze pollen?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »
Rob - Freezing Galanthus pollen might require the same procedure as Rhododendron pollen.

Place the pollen in a gelatin capsule or folded white paper. 

Place in a jar over silica crystals or calcium chloride to dry for a few days. If you don't want to do this simply place in the refigerator which will dry it out in 3-5 days.

Then the pollen can be stored in a tight jar or slide film cannister with a bit of cotton batten in the freezer  for years.  Some say once dried rhododendron pollen need not be frozen and will live for many years at room temperature. I think the freezer might be best.

Use as required (no thawing required) but make sure moisture does not enter the cannister.

Others may have first hand experience with G. pollen.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:34:44 PM »
I've been freezing snowdrop pollen for a few years now - simply put into match boxes stored together in a plastic container in the freezer, it keeps fine and I've used it to successfully pollinate the following year.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:54:58 PM »
I've been freezing snowdrop pollen for a few years now - simply put into match boxes stored together in a plastic container in the freezer, it keeps fine and I've used it to successfully pollinate the following year.

Martin, John W,
I placed some daffodil pollen with silica crystals in the freezer without to dry it out at room temperature before. Do you think this will work also?
Sorry, found this discussion only just today.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »

Martin, John W,
I placed some daffodil pollen with silica crystals in the freezer without to dry it out at room temperature before. Do you think this will work also?

Gerd

From what I know of Magnolia and Rhododendron you must dry the pollen first or the pollen grains will rupture upon freezing.  Three days in the refrigerator will dry pollen out so it can then be frozen. Some pollen myst surely be able to tolerate flash freezing but I cannot vouch for that or, if so, which ones.

johnw
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:30:23 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
Martin, John W,
Gerd

Gerd, I'm sorry, I don't know about daffodil pollen. The snowdrop pollen I collect is always very dry, dry enough to fall from the anthers when the flowers are tapped, so needs no drying before freezing. Provided the daffodil pollen was at least partially dry before freezing, I would think at least some of it should survive.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 06:40:34 AM »
Martin, John,
Thank you both. It seems there is some hope for surviving pollen because I collected during a sunny day. Next time I will be wiser!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal