We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus April 2023  (Read 2692 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Galanthus April 2023
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2023, 08:11:13 AM »
Villu, your 'E.A.Bowles' is amazing! It is such a good and big snowdrop and when it grows so well in your garden it is fabulous.

Here 'Cicely Hall' is just coming up, and this morning I noticed the nose of 'Fieldgate Tiffany' which has always been my latest snowdrop to flower.
Leena from south of Finland

Jeffnz

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2023, 09:28:35 PM »
Hi Vilu
Gresat looking snowdrops, you clearly have ideal conditions for growing the species'.
I live in new Zealand and trying to grow snow drops, some success but not always.
Would you be prepared to collect seed from your poc varieties, doesn't have to be hand pollinated. I colud send you double helleborus seed in exchange.
Regards and thanks
Jeff

Leena

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2023, 08:32:26 AM »
While the middle part of April was unusually warm the last week temperatures have been low, days around +8- +10C and nights around zero, so there are still snowdrops flowering. Crocuses went over fast as did many Hepaticas, but Corydalis came up just when temperatures got cooler, so they are doing ok.
Most of these pictures were taken a week ago, so many are now going over.
'Ballerina' has increased well here, and I divided it last summer.
'Trinity' also a good doer.
Same goes with 'Greenpeace'
Yellow snowdrops suffered from winter 2021-22, but at least they are alive.
Two pictures of 'Primrose Warburg'

Leena

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2023, 08:35:35 AM »
'Midas'
'Copton Trym'
'More the Merrier'
'Wol Staines'
'E.A.Bowles', I'm so happy I divided it some years ago, because it has vanished from the original spot.

Leena

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2023, 08:40:32 AM »
This poculiform from Austria does well here, and it has become one of my favourites.
I like how it's leaves are almost flat, none of my other nivalis behaves like that.
Third picture is 'Springwood Park, which has been a really slow increaser. I have had it for 9 years and still only three flowers, yet it grows quite close the the Austrian poculiform.
'Priscilla Bacon' is a late one, and does well.
Tiny Estonian 'Kullake' flowering for the first time now. It is really small, smallest of all my snowdrops.

Leena

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2023, 08:43:32 AM »
'Glenchantress' is also one of my favourites. It suffered a bit the previous winter, but seems now ok and I hope it will start to multiply again.
I have taken many pictures of it, first two were taken ten days ago and the third was taken day before yesterday, so it came up late and goes over fast  :(.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2023, 10:52:20 AM »
Leena, nice snowdrops! Lovely combination with Hepatica's and Eranthis.
Belgium

Mariette

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2023, 12:20:45 PM »
Yes, very captivating planting and interesting snowdrops! Obviously, ´Trinity´is a very desirable snowdrop, and ´Kullake´looks more special, too.

Leena

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2023, 04:00:45 PM »
Thank you Herman and Mariette. :)
'Trinity' has done well here and I could have divided it already in two places. It was one bulb planted in 2019 so only four years old.
I hope 'Kullake' will do well, we'll see.

'Merlin' has been here for over 10 years now, but it is a very slow increaser in my garden. Here it is flowering with Scilla siberica yesterday.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal