We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus identification  (Read 992 times)

young__gardener

• Andrew Gee
Galanthus identification
« on: February 13, 2023, 05:16:12 PM »
Hello. I have recently acquired some snowdrops from a garden which at one time had an extensive collection locally. However, all of the labels were lost over time. I am wondering if anyone might be able to identify either of these two please?

The first has interesting foliage and also is a good yellow.

The second looks to me like a G. elwesii due to its leaf shape and the flower has a slight green marking on its tips.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andrew

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Galanthus identification
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 06:02:13 PM »
The first looks rather like plicatus 'Wendy's Gold' but the second could be anything ... even a random unnamed hybrid or form ;)

Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

young__gardener

• Andrew Gee
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 09:22:48 PM »
The first looks rather like plicatus 'Wendy's Gold' but the second could be anything ... even a random unnamed hybrid or form ;)

Thank you very much.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 12:09:31 PM »

I concur.  The second snowdrop has wide flat leaves.  They look a bit too green to be a normal elwesii but I cannot see if one leaf enfolds the other at the base (like the leaves of a tulip) as those of an elwesii would.  There is a trace of a green mark on the outer petals.  You can only see enough of the inners to tell it must have an extended or a basal mark, which could be elwesii or plicatus (or some of the rarer species).
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal