We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Feb 23  (Read 5236 times)

Stefan B.

Re: Galanthus Feb 23
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »
A few G. nivalis from Slovenia, lovely little snowdrops.

Stefan B.

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2023, 07:02:52 PM »
And a few G. gracilis from Bulgaria.

In this group there are always flowers with four or more petals.

And in this group the florets are strangely deformed.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2023, 10:39:41 PM »
710774-0

From the back, 'Wendy's Gold' with "Whittlesford Yellow" to the right being buried under "small" Helleborus foetidus 'Wester Flisk Group'.

"caucasicus late from ex Kath Dryden" ex Tim Ingram.  This flowered a lot earlier down south.

'Percy Picton', Silene dioica 'Grahams Delight', snowdrop not flowering this year.

Galanthus nivalis; does this look familiar Leena?  Dark-leaved violet that came with the garden.

Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2023, 09:10:26 AM »
I only have one type bought 2019 from a Dutch site and I don't know where exactly it is from unfortunately. I have another problem, it hasn't bloomed yet, it's been four seasons and it's developing very slowly. Maybe I'm not taking good care of this snowdrop.

Too bad. :( I have read that there are clones which flower not well.

Your Slovenian G.nivalis look really nice and I also like your G.gracilis. I haven't tried it here, I'm not sure if it is hardy enough, but I don't know..

Galanthus nivalis; does this look familiar Leena?  Dark-leaved violet that came with the garden.

Is it mine?  :) It's flower are like any other nivalis, l but it flowers well and has been the best increaser here and set's seeds reliably. I have another clone of G.nivalis (a bit smaller and later flowering) which is also a good increaser, but that clone never sets seeds. I have bought nameless G.nivalis from garden centers and once from Eurobulb, and they are all weaker than "my own", which seems to have adapted well here. I once sen't its seed to Alaska, I wonder how they are doing over there?
Leena from south of Finland

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2023, 09:54:04 AM »
Too bad. :( I have read that there are clones which flower not well.

I think the primary lagodechianus clone in circulation in the UK is like this.  It produces plenty of leaves and few flowers.  It's quite easy to get hold of because nobody likes it!

Is it mine?  :) It's flower are like any other nivalis, l but it flowers well and has been the best increaser here and set's seeds reliably.

Yes it is.  I'm not sure I could distinguish it by looks from the nivalis that were in my garden when I got here.  It has certainly increased well; there is another larger clump elsewhere.  I haven't noticed any seedlings yet.
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2023, 10:08:52 AM »
Yes it is.  I'm not sure I could distinguish it by looks from the nivalis that were in my garden when I got here.  It has certainly increased well; there is another larger clump elsewhere.  I haven't noticed any seedlings yet.

Yes, it looks like normal nivalis. :)

Anne Repnow

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2023, 08:55:53 PM »
Unseasonable warmth followed by many frosty nights have caused most of my snowdrops to go over. Still, a couple of yellows are at their best and there are still some very late ones like 'Hugh Mackenzie', 'Poculi Perfect' and late nivalis to look forward to.

Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2023, 08:19:09 PM »
Spring is on it's way. Two weeks ago it was 65, then cold and snow.

Mariette

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2023, 01:42:24 PM »
Mariette, моят G. lagodechianus сигурно е от мързеливите...  :(
Stefan, my first clone of G. lagodechianus was also of the heavily clumping but shy flowering kind. Meanwhile, I acquired several others which flower satisfactorily.

This one bears green marks on its outers.

This one flowers well, too.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 04:29:21 PM by Mariette »

Anne Repnow

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2023, 12:22:19 PM »
That is a very cute little G. lagodechianus, Mariette!
Your first clone sounds a bit like one I have which originates from Kabardino-Balkaria. It is sterile and produces lots of daughter bulbs. Some years there are lots of flowers, some years there are mainly leaves. 2023 was a year for flowers...
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Mariette

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2023, 04:35:59 PM »
Somehow the first pic got lost somewhere, but is no re-added.

My shy-flowering G. lagodechianus came from an elderly friend, later I ordered some from Baltic suppliers. The first pic shows one of these. Some years ago You were so kind to send me one which may be either G. lagodechianus or cabardensis - itīs still potted in the green-house, as it doesnīt flower regularly.

Leena

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2023, 02:36:41 PM »
Mariette, your G.lagodechianus look very nice, and different from each other. The second one is so cute. :) I like it when leaves are so short during flowering time.

Anne, I like your plant.  I wonder if weather will affect how it flowers. Have you noticed differences in years when it does and when it doesn't flower?

Mariette

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2023, 09:16:42 PM »
Thank You Leena, I like these green-leaved species very much. Also, they seem to sport seedlings or mutations with yellow receptacle or marks quite often, which I appreciate very much. I think these go very well with green leaves, having noticed this in some of my G. lagodechianus, rizehensis and woronowii. Still, I have to watch if this feature ic stable.

Leena

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2023, 07:15:38 AM »
I like these green-leaved species very much. Also, they seem to sport seedlings or mutations with yellow receptacle or marks quite often, which I appreciate very much.

This is interesting, I haven't noticed it (yet), but only now I will have more from different sources flowering (hopefully, when the snow melts) so that might help.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal