We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2022  (Read 4111 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Galanthus March 2022
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 09:34:10 AM »
First signs of spring here, besides sunny weather and migrating birds. :)
The warmest spot in my garden is now free of snow and 'Mrs Macnamara' is coming up, and also G.trojanus seems to be early. I think in warmer climates it might be very early, and it was already showing its nose in late November before winter came.
Most of my garden still looks like the last picture. All photos were taken this morning.
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 11:24:29 AM »
Leena, beautiful pictures with the snow! Hopefully your spring is coming soon.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »
Thank you Herman, it is coming. :)

Stefan B.

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 05:24:29 PM »
Leena, for your peace of mind and my garden is covered with snow and it is cold .... :)

Galanthus x valentinei subsp. valentinei

Stefan B.

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 07:27:20 PM »
Does anyone know who eats my snowdrops?

Could they be birds?

Leena

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 09:44:13 AM »
Leena, for your peace of mind and my garden is covered with snow and it is cold .... :)
Galanthus x valentinei subsp. valentinei

Stefan, thank you. :) Your post made me smile, and it is good to know I am not the only one with still snow.
That is a very nice snowdrop. All G.plicatus types and it's hybrids are my favourites, and luckily they do well here.

Villu

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 08:27:12 PM »
Leena, happy to see finally some pictures from your garden!!! I can see that the snow situation is similar for us but your snowdrops are far behind. I agree that winter must have been different for us. Most of my snowdrops were blooming already in the snow, melting out in full flower.

Yesterday it was the spring equinox and we had really nice weather with the first tortoiseshell and brimstone butterflies flying around. Today was even warmer, up to +13 C. I took some photos of blooming snowdrops in a celebration of arriving Spring.

701727-0
Part of my Snowdrop Bed is still covered with snow and ice. Nevertheless, snowdrops are pushing through, like G. 'Rosemary Burnham'.

701729-1
All yellow snowdrop cultivars appear entirely yellow in my garden, leaves slowly turning green. Here G. 'Wendy's Gold'.

701731-2
Dainty little thing, G. 'Trympostor'

701733-3
G. 'S. Arnott' is a classic and really nice snowdrop

701735-4
But among pure single snowdrops, G. 'Bertram Anderson' is my favourite!

Happy spring to all, and especially for those, whose season is just about to begin! ;)

Leena

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2022, 10:20:01 AM »
Villu, your snowdrops look so good and are increasing well! :) 'Bertram Anderson' looks impressive! Mine is not doing so well (it hasn't come up yet so I don't know about it this year).
I have had it since 2016 and I think it has only doubled in five years time. I should move it someplace else to see if it would be happier in a different spot.

All yellow snowdrop cultivars appear entirely yellow in my garden, leaves slowly turning green.

It is the same here, and yellows are always good yellow in markings too. :)

Most of my snowdrops have not yet come up, and of course there is still snow and ice on top of them. The ones in the earliest spot are mostly only showing their noses. This will not be a good snowdrop year in my garden. :(
'Bess' is an early one, and also grows in a very early spot where snow has melted away. In the background 'Mrs Mcnamara' which is also only starting and both of these are much smaller than usually.

Leena

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2022, 09:53:23 AM »
'Mrs Mcnamara' is dwarf this year. :(
'Atkinsii' coming up, and also 'Little Magnet'.
'Lady Elphinstone' in the last picture.
Most of my snowdrops are still under ice or snow, these grow in the earliest spot, though ground is still solid frozen even there.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2022, 11:20:35 AM »
Hi Leena,
I grew Bertram Anderson and PHD 33463 next to each other for a few years. The flowers were virtually impossible to tell apart, but the PHD was distinctly more vigorous. (It was also about a week earlier.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 11:25:23 AM by Tim Harberd »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2022, 09:45:18 PM »
PHD 33463 has been named now as 'Peter Davis' after the finder of this G.plicatus, Peter Hadland Davis.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Leena

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2022, 09:36:39 AM »
Hi Leena,
I grew Bertram Anderson and PHD 33463 next to each other for a few years. The flowers were virtually impossible to tell apart, but the PHD was distinctly more vigorous. (It was also about a week earlier.)

Tim, it is good you mentioned this. :) I have also PHD 33463, albeit in different bed than 'Bertram Anderson', and I looked at last years photos, and it has increased better than BA though bought two years later than BA. I will move BA close to PHD to compare them. Right now both are still under snow. The bed where BA grows is drier (I think because there was Acer platanoides close by and it's roots had grown so much to that bed - this winter we felled that Acer) and I had thought that is a reason why it hasn't increased so well.

PHD 33463 has been named now as 'Peter Davis' after the finder of this G.plicatus, Peter Hadland Davis.

Thanks Brian, 'Peter Davis' is much easier name to remember than numbers. :) Also it seems so good snowdrop that it reserved a good name.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2022, 04:22:54 PM »
I went on a Botany trip last Saturday. We were shown a clump of "Naturalised" Snowdrops, known as Green Leaved Snowdrop. The leaves did not have the usual grey-green look.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2022, 05:47:39 PM »
I went on a Botany trip last Saturday. We were shown a clump of "Naturalised" Snowdrops, known as Green Leaved Snowdrop. The leaves did not have the usual grey-green look.
Forms of the common snowdrop, Galanthus nivalis, with grass-green leaves are rare overall but they do form a significant minority in some locales.
The same is true of Galanthus elwesii, although as this snowdrop is much less prevalent you are much less likely to encounter the green-leaved form.
Some forms of Galanthus plicatus have quite green leaves.
The snowdrop you are most likely to find in a garden centre these days is Galanthus woronowii and this species has bright green leaves.

Take your pick.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 11:58:17 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Villu

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2022, 08:19:27 PM »
Hey Leena, many of my snowdrops showed similar yellow leaf tips this year. In that sense, winter had a similar effect on snowdrops in Findland as well in Estonia.

Spring has turned back to winter these days. We have light fresh snow cover and temperatures have stayed below zero for more than 48 hours now. This continuous freeze makes me worry. Regular snowdrops can close their blooms but those with pagoda-shaped flowers are more vulnerable - once opened, there is no way back for them. So I share some pics from last week when all was well.

702487-0
Galanthus 'Veronica Cross'

702489-1
Galanthus 'South Hayes'

702491-2
Galanthus plicatus 'Trimmer'

702493-3
Galanthus plicatus 'Trympostor'

Galanthus plicatus 'Lucy'
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:29:10 PM by Villu »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal