We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Feb 22  (Read 5687 times)

Nik

Nik

Re: Galanthus Feb 22
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2022, 05:59:14 PM »
These are in our neighbors’ yard. No idea what species/variety they are. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Nik

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2022, 06:19:52 PM »
I loved Stefan’s avatar, so I changed mine too. It is madness…

Stefan B.

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2022, 06:55:39 PM »
These are in our neighbors’ yard. No idea what species/variety they are. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Hi Nik, maybe this will help you ...
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=Poster+galanthus&fulltext=search&ns0=1&ns6=1&ns12=1&ns14=1&ns100=1&ns106=1
It is most likely galanthus elwesii
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 07:00:58 PM by Stefan B. »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2022, 08:21:52 PM »
Alan does this photo help with the ID?

In both cases these are Galanthus elwesii.  The leaves are glaucous green and if you look at the base of the leaves you will see that one leaf enfolds the other like those of a tulip.  Galanthus elwesii is the only snowdrop species which has both these characteristics.
Almost in Scotland.

Nik

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2022, 09:52:15 PM »
Thank you for the ID Stefan and Alan!

Stefan B.

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2022, 05:55:39 PM »
I waited for it to bloom for three years ...

Galanthus nivalis 'Sibbertoft White'

Stefan B.

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2022, 05:59:16 PM »

Galanthus x valentinei subsp. valentinei

Galanthus nivalis 'Veliki Progasti'

Galanthus nivalis 'Bunch'

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2022, 08:11:31 PM »
Thanks Alan.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Villu

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2022, 06:01:13 PM »
No matter the deep winter and a lot of snow on fields, we have a few clear patches in the garden and some first snowdrops are emerging on them. Also, some in the snow! :-\ We have snowdrops in Estonia, yay!

700511-0
'John Gray' is always early. This year however melted out already in bloom!

700513-1
'Magnet' is also pushing through the snow

700515-2
'S. Arnott' is surprisingly advanced

700517-3
Seedlings of Galanthus elwesii are early as normal

700519-4
Galanthus nivalis 'Flore Pleno' is well advanced in sunny patch today, on Feb 28th.

Akke

• I hope the bees like it
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2022, 08:56:34 PM »
Villu

Beautiful pictures, espacially brave ‘John Gray’  and ‘Magnet’ not bothered by snow.

Stefan

Good idea, changed my avatar too.

Akke & Spot
Mostly bulbs. Gardening in containers and enjoying public green.
Northern part of The Netherlands, a bit above sealevel, zone 8a normally, average precipitation 875 mm.
Lots to discover.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2022, 10:15:57 AM »
Villu, so nice to see that you have already snowdrops in full flower. :)
Here there is mostly snow up to my knees, so no hope in seeing snowdrops soon. :(
Many times also here snowdrops come through snow and flower even within snow, but this year I think they might be late anyway, because in December we had such cold temperatures and no snow, and so ground is frozen deeper this year than normal. In spite of the amount of snow we got  in February.

Leena
The third picture the same plant as picture three, 16th of January, this one was taken Feb 13.

Akke, I'm sorry I don't know. Maybe Alan B or someone else who knows more snowdrops can tell what it is. :(
Leena from south of Finland

Akke

• I hope the bees like it
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2022, 07:38:54 PM »
Leena

Thanks. They could all very well be Galanthus Elwesii seeding around for a long time. I hope you get some snowdrops soon.
Akke & Spot
Mostly bulbs. Gardening in containers and enjoying public green.
Northern part of The Netherlands, a bit above sealevel, zone 8a normally, average precipitation 875 mm.
Lots to discover.

Villu

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2022, 11:31:07 AM »
Villu, so nice to see that you have already snowdrops in full flower. :)
Here there is mostly snow up to my knees, so no hope in seeing snowdrops soon. :(
Many times also here snowdrops come through snow and flower even within the snow, but this year I think they might be late anyway, because in December we had such cold temperatures and no snow, and so ground is frozen deeper this year than normal. In spite of the amount of snow, we got in February.
Leena, we had exactly the opposite! Snow came early in December and covered deeply unfrozen land. So I think that might be the reason, why snowdrops are early this year and started to bloom in deep snow. Some are still completely covered. Lucky for them, as we had very cold day and night temperatures this week. I even put some covers for protection.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2022, 05:28:22 PM »
Leena, we had exactly the opposite! Snow came early in December and covered deeply unfrozen land. So I think that might be the reason, why snowdrops are early this year and started to bloom in deep snow. Some are still completely covered.

That is also my experience that if the ground is unfrozen (like it has been some years also here) and there are still snow, then many snowdrops start to grow inside the snow, some are fully flowering when snow finally starts to melt. I have damaged flowers when trying to shovel the snow away (too eager to wait for it to melt naturally  :-[).
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal