We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Feb 22  (Read 5686 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus Feb 22
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2022, 07:14:39 AM »
Galanthus plicatus 'Colossus'

My, 'Colossus' isn't living up to its name, is it?  In my garden 'Colossus' flowers early in the new year at a fairly normal size.  But the leaves keep on growing and do become very large later in the season.  When I moved north the flowering times of many of my early snowdrops changed but 'Colossus' still flowers at the same time that it always used to.
Almost in Scotland.

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2022, 10:23:19 AM »
Alan does this photo help with the ID?
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2022, 11:21:29 AM »
Stefan, very nice snowdrops!
About 'Colossus'.  Here it is also an early flowering form coming up through snow (not yet) and many times the flowers are full developed inside the snow before the snow melts.
It is a tall plant, but I don't think it's leaves are very tall, more the flower stem. I will pay more attention to it this year. It looks very elegant with it's tall flower stem, but two years ago when we didn't have much snow, it suffered a little from cold temperatures (in the end the flowers stayed down and didn't have energy to come up any more after weeks of cold nights).

Villu, here I haven't noticed so much cold damage in snowdrop flowers, only very seldom (or else I just don't notice it and I'm just happy of any flowoers..). Maybe snowdrops come up here later and so are not as well advanced when it is still very cold.
Yellow leaf tips are common though.
In spring 2020 when we had almost no snow and no winter snowdrops came up in January and February, and then in February we had a two weeks of "winter", temperatures below freezing and I think -16 was the coldest. 'Mrs Macnamara' was full flowering at that time and came through without any damage. I had noticed the same also in previous winters, it is very cold hardy snowdrop.  :)
Leena from south of Finland

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2022, 12:09:51 AM »
Very nice markings.  Do those narrow leaves in the foreground belong to that flower?

Thank you, Alan!

No, the narrow leaves are from siblings that haven't bloomed yet. :)
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Stefan B.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2022, 06:00:53 PM »
My, 'Colossus' isn't living up to its name, is it?  In my garden 'Colossus' flowers early in the new year at a fairly normal size.  But the leaves keep on growing and do become very large later in the season.  When I moved north the flowering times of many of my early snowdrops changed but 'Colossus' still flowers at the same time that it always used to.

Thank you, Leena  and Alan_b !
Bought in 2014 from Pottertons Nursery. They are a very good nursery. I think about something else, my garden is in zone 6, whether this is not the reason to bloom later. For example, Galanthus Three Ships bloomed for me in early January this year.

Stefan B.

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2022, 06:06:16 PM »
My new acquisition! :)

Galanthus trojanus

Stefan B.

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2022, 06:45:22 PM »

Galanthus nivalis

Mariette

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2022, 01:48:43 PM »
My new acquisition! :)

Galanthus trojanus
A very beautiful snowdrop, Stefan!

Mariette

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2022, 01:56:22 PM »

I notice that many of you here have experience crossing Galanthus and I wonder if anyone who has sown self-pollinated G. nivalis scharlockii seeds has got the scharlockii features in the first generation. I was lucky to receive these seeds several years ago and the first generation of flowers turned out looking like regular G. nivalis. So I am assuming I need to sow the seeds from these first generation plants and see how the second generation will turn out. I was curious if somebody had experience they might be willing to share...
Hi Peppa, I wonder if anybody bred scharlockii from seed, usually special forms are collected where they grow wild. My first one came from a German nursery in the nineties, itīs  a small form and not special at all, but spreads and seems to come true from seed in the garden - though I never really checked.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 07:15:02 PM by Mariette »

Akke

• I hope the bees like it
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2022, 04:29:03 PM »
Just a few Elwesii standing out.

A more yellow one
With more pointed very long leaves
With short leaves

Leena

The third picture the same plant as picture three, 16th of January, this one was taken Feb 13.
Akke & Spot
Mostly bulbs. Gardening in containers and enjoying public green.
Northern part of The Netherlands, a bit above sealevel, zone 8a normally, average precipitation 875 mm.
Lots to discover.

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2022, 08:28:36 PM »
Hi Peppa, I wonder if anybody bred scharlockii from seed, usually special forms are collected where they grow wild. My first one came from a German nursery in the nineties, itīs  a small form and not special at all, but spreads and seems to come true from seed in the garden - though I never really checked.

Hi Mariette, I don't think the seeds I received were a named variety of scharlockii, but my friend who kindly sent them to me grows quite nice ones even though they are not named. The seeds were mixed and from the open garden, so they might possibly be contaminated by other species, but any fresh seeds of Galanthus are special to me and I am willing to grow whatever I can obtain. The interesting thing is that the first generation of these scharlockii seedlings had regular G. nivalis flowers but longer pedicels. If you ever happen to check your scharlokii seedlings, please let me know what they look like!

700229-0

700231-1
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 08:48:41 PM by Maggi Young »
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »
Lady Elphinstone

Stefan B.

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2022, 07:15:10 PM »
Here are my ladies :)

Galanthus 'Lady Elphinstone'

Galanthus 'Lady Beatrix Stanley'

Stefan B.

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2022, 07:20:27 PM »

Galanthus 'Wasp'

Galanthus 'Fly Fishing'

Galanthus 'Rosemary Burnham'

Stefan B.

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2022, 07:22:24 PM »

Galanthus plicatus ssp. plicatus

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal