We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in December  (Read 1036 times)

Mariette

Galanthus in December
« on: December 17, 2021, 08:08:58 PM »
No pics yet - at least I´d like to show my favourite, a gift from a very dear friend who knew about my preference for dainty marks.  :)

Tim Harberd

Re: Galanthus in December
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 12:07:00 PM »
Hi Mariette,
     Thanks for trying to start the ball rolling. ... 185 views as I type, so lots of people want to see snowdrops!

Here is one to keep your picture company, let's hope for better next month.

This one is a seedling. Mrs MacnamaraxDiggory I think. I've got quite a few of these, so its time to start scrapping some!

Tim DH

SusanH

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 11:25:35 AM »
Lovely to see the start of the Snowdrops nosing through - Moses Autumn Jewel and Hoggets Round

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 02:36:08 PM »
it is so nice to see snowdrop pictures!
Mariette, how lovely picture of snowdrop in the garden.

This one is a seedling. Mrs MacnamaraxDiggory I think. I've got quite a few of these, so its time to start scrapping some!

It is interesting that you have gotten seeds from 'Mrs Macnamara'. Mine has never produced seeds (maybe it needs hand pollination), but 'Diggory' had one fat seed pod last summer, for the first time in six year I have had it, and seeds are starting to germinate now  :):
Leena from south of Finland

Mariette

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »
Years ago polyploid snowdrops like ´Mrs. Macnamara´, a hexaploid, were considered to set no seed or rarely so. In recent years many of them set regularly seed, though I didn´t test if it was fertile. This may be ascribed to climate change, the milder weather encouraging successful pollination - which would explain why it doesn´t work for You. Another explanation may be that collections with a great range of varieties offer more chance to find an agreeable match - though I trust Your garden will offer this, too.  :)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 05:30:00 PM »
Mariette, thank you for an explanation. It is very possible, that weather is not warm enough here when it flowers. It is earlier than most, although flowering is partly at the same time.
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal