We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2021  (Read 9012 times)

Mariette

Re: Galanthus January 2021
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »
Alas, it doesn´t clump well for me. In Britain it seems to be considered a plant for the green house, yet mine came from German friends growing it in the garden, where I grow a few, too, for several years.

Cod

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2021, 12:47:59 PM »
Does anyone know what this is growing in a pot of garden centre elwesii? Many thanks

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2021, 01:32:02 PM »
Don't know it but it has lovely markings. Definitely one to keep.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Tim Harberd

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2021, 09:10:57 PM »
Hi Karaba,
     Field of Blooms list fosteri and since they are in Ireland, Brexit shouldn't be a problem! Might be worth dropping them a line.

Tim DH

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2021, 09:35:19 PM »
Glenorma living up to its name;

and Anglesey Aurora looking distinctly peachy;
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:50:01 PM by Maggi Young »
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Tim Harberd

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2021, 04:44:10 PM »
Hi Guys,
   Has the Galanthus Bubble burst? Or is it, at least somewhat deflated??

This is post number 35 in the Jan 2021 Thread.
Here are total post numbers for previous Januarys

Jan 2020 69
Jan 2019 110
Jan 2018 193
Jan 2017 230
Jan 2016 175
Jan 2015 397
Jan 2014 408
Jan 2013 320
Jan 2012 620
Jan 2011 430

Does anyone have a view on what ‘The New Black’ might be in the plant world?

Do you think that a change in fashion might mean that some of the newer Galanthus cultivar’s prices might start to fall into the range of folk who are just interested in snowdrops??

Tim DH

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2021, 05:51:21 PM »
Hi Guys,

I don't think the interest  in snowdrops has decreased, Tim -  and the  high prices being paid for some  drops on Ebay  from reputable growers supports that!  However, it  is  true that  many  galanthophiles have  moved  to social media outlets.   
 Sadly this means that any  useful posts they make will only  be  seen by  the  chosen few  there, as   opposed to being able to be seen and searched anyone  here - but that is the case  for  many  these  days as the ease  of social media appeals to the masses meantime.

Happily  there  are  still folks  who realise the  benefit  of  a truly open  resource  and support  the Forum in all aspects!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2021, 08:12:00 PM »
   Does anyone have a view on what ‘The New Black’ might be in the plant world?

A black snowdrop would be new, but not on my wish-list!  :)  And actually even the orangey ones are perhaps interesting rather than beautiful when compared to the pure perfection of a standard snowdrop.

I think as Maggi says, it is more a matter of people moving allegiance to other forms of communication. As someone who doesn't even possess a smartphone, I continue to value the forum greatly as a fantastic source of knowledge but also for that sense of plant camaraderie it engenders. 

And thank you Maggi for all that you do to support this (and ensuring my pictures are the right way up!)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Mariette

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2021, 08:40:20 PM »
Gail, like You I don´t own a smartphone, as I still abhor to put on specs to use it. Nevertheless, one might use other social media - but out of the reasons Maggi pointed out I prefer  to stick to the forum where I learnt so much over the years.

Kat N

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2021, 10:17:05 AM »
It's February, but I took this photo in January so I'll share it here.  Having lived in California most of my life, I had never seen a snowdrop before moving to Europe.  But now I can see why people get so taken with them.

Here is my first-ever Galanthus: G. elwesii "Grumpy".  I bought it as a dormant bulb from Avon Bulbs last summer because of a post from this forum, so thank you all for your posts!

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2021, 11:41:51 AM »
Grumpy, how appropriate looking at your wonderful picture.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Ken Devine

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2021, 03:14:48 PM »
A nice Irish snowdrop G.elwesii Drummond's Giant flowering in Cork, Ireland !

Mariette

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2021, 11:50:40 AM »
Nice to see an Irish snowdrop here after Maggi made Paddy Tobin´s articles on Irish snowdrops available to us! ´Kildare´and ´Castlegar´are among my favourites, as I prefer somewhat more subtle marks. Both are easily available here, others, like ´Woodtown´and ´David Shackleton, unfortunately not.

Bart

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2021, 12:05:58 PM »
My First Ever snowdrop in flower, grown from seed, kindly donated by Alan some years ago.

Thank you Alan.

I don't think the interest  in snowdrops has decreased, Tim -  and the  high prices being paid for some  drops on Ebay  from reputable growers supports that!  However, it  is  true that  many  galanthophiles have  moved  to social media outlets.   
 Sadly this means that any  useful posts they make will only  be  seen by  the  chosen few  there, as   opposed to being able to be seen and searched anyone  here - but that is the case  for  many  these  days as the ease  of social media appeals to the masses meantime.

Happily  there  are  still folks  who realise the  benefit  of  a truly open  resource  and support  the Forum in all aspects!

Indeed Maggi, Who would be able and willing to patiently flip my pictures on Facetwitter?? Thank you.

Hi Guys,

Do you think that a change in fashion might mean that some of the newer Galanthus cultivar’s prices might start to fall into the range of folk who are just interested in snowdrops??

Tim DH

Tim, the same happened on the Pleione thread. All my initial knowledge came from those posts, now it is a meagre show. I still refuse to sign up to the time wasting platforms though. You get sooo much clutter to sift through...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 04:45:44 PM by Maggi Young »

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2021, 12:53:23 PM »
Well done Bart; very rewarding to see first flowers on your own seedlings, & this one looks nice 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal