We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in January 2019  (Read 18428 times)

Ross Barbour

• Old Court Nurseries and The Picton Garden
Re: Galanthus in January 2019
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2019, 06:47:58 PM »
Galanthus 'Blue Trym' Found and named by Margaret Owen, anyone know where she found it? Appears to be vigorous and certainly stands up well to the cold. Wasn't sure I was going to be all that fussed by it.....turns out it's a little cutie and I adore it.

632400-0

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:53:51 PM by Maggi Young »

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2019, 11:08:55 AM »
A definite Anne Wright theme to this morning's patrol!

First up the beautiful Dryad Artemis, part of Anne's new Myths & Legends series. Stunning markings and shape and what a start to the series!

632510-1

Next, the current yellow big-hitter from the other evening Dryad Gold Ingot. I have always been in two minds about the diminutive drops but this is a game changer. It is gorgeous and a real eye catcher and again is increasing well.

632512-2

Next, Dryad Gold Ribbon, a very graceful snowdrop, increasing well and brightening up the day.

632514-3

Finally, Dryad Gold Charm which has increased dramatically and has a super colour!

632516-4

Shauney

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2019, 01:02:36 PM »
Some very nice trym seedlings flowering for the first time. It was a natural cross so don't know what the other parent was but bungee could be it as the pedicel is very long on one of them at 37mm.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2019, 07:32:52 PM »
Galanthus 'Blue Trym' Found and named by Margaret Owen, anyone know where she found it? Appears to be vigorous and certainly stands up well to the cold. Wasn't sure I was going to be all that fussed by it.....turns out it's a little cutie and I adore it.

Yes a lovely drop and as Margaret named it I would think it arose in The Patch.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Ross Barbour

• Old Court Nurseries and The Picton Garden
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2019, 08:10:32 AM »
Many thanks Brian.
I assumed that but wasn't sure. She is responsible for naming quite a few but not all are from the Patch.
I love to know the details and story about a plant and Snowdrops are some of the best for this.

Shauney

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 02:18:20 PM »
Some very nice trym seedlings flowering for the first time. It was a natural cross so don't know what the other parent was but bungee could be it as the pedicel is very long on one of them at 37mm.

Looking at the plant today and the pedicel looked longer so took another measurement and it is now 42mm long. I should add that although I posted it yesterday...The pic was actually taken on the 20th Jan.

Palustris

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »
I know all you galanthophiles go on about the shape of the flowers etc, but yesterday the sun was shining and the polytunnel was really warm. Since we hope to be moving I have potted up divisions of the Snowdrops we have in the garden to take with us. They are all flowering in the tunnel and the scent in there was wonderful. Not something most people associate with Snowdrops.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
Hi Palustris,
    Scent is an occasional topic of interest.... Try this thread

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11461.0

Tim DH

Mariette

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2019, 08:25:04 PM »
I know all you galanthophiles go on about the shape of the flowers etc, but yesterday the sun was shining and the polytunnel was really warm. Since we hope to be moving I have potted up divisions of the Snowdrops we have in the garden to take with us. They are all flowering in the tunnel and the scent in there was wonderful. Not something most people associate with Snowdrops.
Many ordinary Galanthus nivalis have a honey-like scent, and it´s one of my greatest pleasures to walk around the garden or a wood full of snowdrops on a sunny day with temperatures of at least 15 °C. If the temperature is too low, You won´t notice the scent outdoors.

Palustris

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 08:43:46 PM »
The other thing which is seldom commented upon, is the number of bees which visit my Snowdrops on sunny days, even in January.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2019, 08:55:25 PM »
that's a notably long pedicel, especially if it has grow to 42mm and is held out like the photo shows. one to keep an eye on

David Lowndes

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2019, 12:36:40 PM »
Galanthus ikariae cultivars today.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:41:13 PM by David Lowndes »

Edgar Wills

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2019, 12:45:13 PM »
Nice ikariae! I have a bit of difficulty seeing it on my phone screen, but is it correct that emerald isle has larger marks on the outers than alexandrite?
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

Mariette

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2019, 01:58:30 PM »
Even on my laptop I may hardly discover a hint of green on the outers of the left ´Emerals Isle´, all the others appear to be plain white here.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2019, 02:30:43 PM »
A few of my "not so special" ones.

Galanthus 'Armine'.

632660-0

Galanthus 'Comet'

632664-2
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal