We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Dryad Venus  (Read 3847 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Galanthus Dryad Venus
« on: January 26, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »
I am posting here the formal description of Dryad Venus, which will act as the first publication of this variety.
DESCRIPTION
Flowering height 150 - 200mm. Leaves, plicate, spreading, approximately 70mm x 17mm at flowering time. Scapes upright. Ovary cylindrical, length:width approximately 8:5. Flower shape pyramidal. Flower length including ovary 22mm. Pedicel 90% the length of the relatively short, straight spathe.
The outer segments are usually flattened and flared outwards at the edges, giving a frilled appearance, and are approximately 14mm long by 14mm wide, white with an emerald green, inverted heart mark at the apex, sometimes bleeding back towards the base. This mark continues as green striations all the way to the base on the underside of the outer segments. 'Claw' 3mm.
The inner segments are also slightly flared at the margins, with a deep, narrow sinus. The inner segment mark is a deeper green X, the underside of the outer segments being almost entirely green, other than a white margin. The flower is scented.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:02:09 PM by Maggi Young »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus Dryad Venus
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
I am posting here the formal description of Dryad Gold Venus, which will act as the first publication of this variety.

Oh, is that allowed now? 

Is it 'Dryad Venus' or 'Dryad Gold Venus'?  Because it has green markings, hasn't it?

Almost in Scotland.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »
Oh, is that allowed now? 

It is allowed, but is seems to be not binding by the "International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants".

25.1. Publication  is  effected  under  this Code only  by  distribution  of  printed  or similarly duplicated material, including indelible autograph, (through sale, exchange, or  gift)  to  the  general public  or  at  least  to  botanical,  agricultural,  forestry,  or horticultural institutions with libraries accessible to botanists, agriculturists, foresters or horticulturists generally. It is not effected by (a) communication of new names at a public meeting, (b) the placing of names on labels in collections or gardens open to the  public, (c)  the  issue  of  microform  made  from  manuscripts,  typescripts  or  other  unpublished  material,  (d)  publication  via  electronic  media (but  see  Rec.  25B.2  and Art.  26,  Note  1),  or  (e)  by  publication  in  confidential  trade  lists  that  are  not  made  generally available.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:19:30 PM »
 Whatever the red tape...it is a very beautiful cultivar, Anne! You made a wonderful selection (as we are used to from your hand).  :D
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »
Oh, is that allowed now? 

Is it 'Dryad Venus' or 'Dryad Gold Venus'?  Because it has green markings, hasn't it?
Correct! That's why it's not a Dryad Gold... :)

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:50:43 PM »
It is allowed, but is seems to be not binding by the "International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants".

25.1. Publication  is  effected  under  this Code only  by  distribution  of  printed  or similarly duplicated material, including indelible autograph, (through sale, exchange, or  gift)  to  the  general public  or  at  least  to  botanical,  agricultural,  forestry,  or horticultural institutions with libraries accessible to botanists, agriculturists, foresters or horticulturists generally. It is not effected by (a) communication of new names at a public meeting, (b) the placing of names on labels in collections or gardens open to the  public, (c)  the  issue  of  microform  made  from  manuscripts,  typescripts  or  other  unpublished  material,  (d)  publication  via  electronic  media (but  see  Rec.  25B.2  and Art.  26,  Note  1),  or  (e)  by  publication  in  confidential  trade  lists  that  are  not  made  generally available.
Thank you for clarifying that, Wim. I will be sending the proper registration documents anyway.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 06:31:52 PM »
It's not now Maggi has edited away your typographical error, Anne.  I guess one of the problems with online publication is that what you publish is not necessarily fixed.   
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 06:58:08 PM »
It is in a registered online publication like the IRG which is deposited in the relevant libraries.

I rather think that typos can occur anywhere!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »
It is in a registered online publication like the IRG which is deposited in the relevant libraries.

:D

Even more so when you're not writing in your native language...luckily most of them are corrected before being published.

One like that in yellow would be  :o :o
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »
It's not now Maggi has edited away your typographical error, Anne.  I guess one of the problems with online publication is that what you publish is not necessarily fixed.   
Mea culpa... :-[

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 07:23:28 PM »

To quote Bruce Lee, “Its like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.”  ;D ;D

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »
Mea culpa... :-[

I make lots of typos myself but it seemed important that that one was corrected.

That's a splendid quote, Ingrid, although perhaps some credit should be given to the scriptwriter.  I have a snowdrop named after a character portrayed by Bruce Lee. 
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 10:57:57 PM »
Maggi, I think I have followed this thread but am unsure about your comment above. Can you say just a little more for the likes of me to understand your point? Thanks.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
This  is something that has been covered in other discussions so I did not give full details -   online publications such as the International Rock Gardener are fully registered and  "deposited"  with various  main libraries as part of the  ISSN process which gives them a similar status to printed publications.

In the same way as various  academic publications are also now only online and  no longer not exist in printed form, they are nonetheless  "valid" publications.

I think that's the  situation, simply put.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

steve owen

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 02:32:49 PM »
Thanks, that's clear.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal