We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in April 2014  (Read 7875 times)

carolesmith

Re: Galanthus in April 2014
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2014, 08:56:20 PM »
Glen Chantry list this year for sale at Harvey's was:
Amy Doncaster £40
Priscilla Bacon £35 and I find they are as reasonable as anyone.

Wansford
North Cambridgeshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »
I have had two clumps destroyed by our neighbour

If it was just the above-ground parts that were destroyed there may be some hope for the bulbs.  We are getting quite late in the season now so hopefully the bulbs will be strong enough to survive.  But I would be incredibly cross if that happened to me!
Almost in Scotland.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2014, 11:45:02 PM »
Tell him they were Elizabeth Harrison! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2014, 08:18:01 AM »
It was Snowdrop Day, yesterday (19th April) according to an Armenian web site http://www.panorama.am/en/society/2014/04/19/day-of-snowdrop/ .  I wonder how such misinformation gets started?  However the tale about the origin of the snowdrop has not been invented by the journalist who wrote the article (although I myself had not heard it before).  You can read a poem about it here: http://mrssymbols.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/seeing-snowdrops-on-candlemas-daie.html
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »
Thanks Carole et al, I like your style Fermi!

Yes leaves ripped off and trampled so a great deal of tissue damage, I doubt whether they will be of much use to the bulb now and my concern is attracting the dreaded narcissus fly or virus.  It's not as though he didn't know they were there, but the thing that really annoys me is that nothing was said beforehand and he waited until we were out until he did it >:(
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »
Thanks Carole et al, I like your style Fermi!

Yes leaves ripped off and trampled so a great deal of tissue damage, I doubt whether they will be of much use to the bulb now and my concern is attracting the dreaded narcissus fly or virus.  It's not as though he didn't know they were there, but the thing that really annoys me is that nothing was said beforehand and he waited until we were out until he did it >:(

Brian, I'm finding that most snowdrops have pretty much completed their growth cycle and have already formed good firm bulbs ready for dormancy thanks to the mild winter and ample winter rain. I should think they'll be fine. But maybe best to lift them in the summer and relocate or replant in case the soil around them has been compacted too much by the trampling, causing drainage problems next season.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
Cheers Martin, a good idea which I will follow - strange how everyone else has them except me :-\
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »
Gives you somewhere to chuck the slugs and snails Brian :Pi
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ossy

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »
Hello, just nipping back to comments on Beechgrove, it is a gem of a programme and the snowdrop film was a particular delight. I love the unassuming style of the presenters which welcomes everyone in.  Chris still appears on Gardener's Question Time and is now fronting an interesting series on gardens of note, well worth  seeing. :)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »
In Easter we had very warm weather in Finland, over 20C (but now it is back to 10-15C and nightly frosts), and most of the snowdrops are now over, and in my garden only late nameless G.nivalis (planted last autumn from garden center bulbs) is still good, as is 'Cordelia'.
This picture was taken Thursday evening of the nameless G.nivalis.
Leena from south of Finland

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »
Perhaps it's a late form of Galanthus nivalis?  Joe Sharman sells one called G. nivalis ex Slovakia which is most notable for being late flowering.  You will have to see if yours is reliably late or just delayed this year through being planted last autumn.
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
Perhaps it's a late form of Galanthus nivalis? You will have to see if yours is reliably late or just delayed this year through being planted last autumn.

I hope it is a late form. :)
This winter/spring has been extraordinary here because the snow melted already in February (after being in the ground only for a month) and we could also see differences in the flowering time of snowdrops. Usually they all flower about the same time in April, as soon as the snow melts away. The only difference we might see is that some snowdrops have grown more inside the snow and some just come up from the ground. I really hope next winter will be as short and the spring comes as early as this year, and I will see how this unnamed nivalis behaves then. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal