We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus breeding  (Read 30625 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus breeding
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »
I don't usually bother to emasculate flowers in the garden because it is
very rare for seed to set naturally here.  In fact, I can't remember ever
having a seedpod that was not the result of my pollinating, and lots of
my crosses produce no pods at all.

And yet surely the large expanse of elwesii you showed photographs of recently were largely self-set from seed?
Almost in Scotland.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2009, 09:05:14 PM »
I meant, in my shady garden.  When I visit my brother on the seaside,
his snowdrops will be open with bees buzzing in them.

The place I photographed is mainly a large open space with widely-spaced
oak trees, so when the sun shines (which doesn't happen all that often in
winter), those snowdrops will open.

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2009, 09:12:56 PM »
I find snowdrop stigmas are not very receptive to start with. When the flowers 'drop' from the spathes and it becomes possible to pop open the outers petals to get at the stigma, pollen will not adhere to the stigma tip very easily. But two or three days later much more pollen with stick much more easily. I find it best to pollinate as soon as I can open the flower with my fingers, dusting the stigma whether much pollen seems to be sticking or not. Then go back a couple of days later and try again, when you'll generally find more pollen sticks.

If you're trying to do a deliberate cross, Rob, I wouldn't wait for a flower to open naturally, as in dull or cold weather it might not open for days but the stigma might be receptive inside the closed flower. Pop it open and pollinate as soon as the outers can easily be pressed open.

Snowdrops tend not to be very self-fertile, so provided you get to the stigma with your pollen before the bees, you stand a good chance of not having your cross spoiled. However, some snowdrops produce a lot of pollen, and if this falls it will stick to the stigma, and even if it won't pollinate, it can still stop your pollen from adhering and pollinating.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

deee

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2019, 05:59:19 PM »
Must give a big thanks to Martin for clearly explaining the diploid,triploid and tetraploid differences.

Sorry to re boot the topic but has there been any developments regarding identifying triploid and tetraploid snowdrops?
Interesting also to have a confirmation that trips can in the right situation occasionally set seed or produce viable pollen.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal