We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sick Bulb  (Read 1888 times)

Tim Harberd

Sick Bulb
« on: March 10, 2019, 09:08:22 AM »
I had high hopes for this 'yet to flower' seedling...

Can anyone suggest a rescue plan?

Tim DH

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Sick Bulb
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »
The damage to the basal plate seems to have stimulated production of lots of daughter bulbs. I think if you had the time - surgery with a craft knife/razor blade, cut into pieces to access/cut away the decaying centre, soak in a fungicide then pot up any healthy pieces in a very free draining mix or just damp vermiculite as if you were twinscaling them.

I bought a bulb of one of the new "Amaryllis" (Hippeastrum) Sonatini cultivars 'Eyecatcher' at my local Morrisons yesterday which seemed a bargain at £2 until I got it home and opened the packet;
636569-0

I've given up being shocked at how appalling the quality of bulbs from very many suppliers is (I've just received some Nerines & Lycoris from a well-known supplier of Dutch bulbs which are in a similar state). I was busy yesterday so with the 'Eyecatcher' bulb I just took off as much as I could of the rotting outer scales, sprayed with Fungus Clear and potted into a gritty mix and will watch to see if the bulb is able to recover but I am considering doing some trials of different rescue techniques/fungicides with some of the other duff bulbs. (also while in Morrisons I bought a mould treatment designed for showers etc as my house has very beautiful cast iron windows which unfortunately don't currently look beautiful as they are dripping with condensation and attracting a whole ecosystem of assorted moulds. But once I read the instructions on the product it says don't use on metal so I was toying with the idea of trying it on the bulbs instead - although obviously aware that this would be in breach of all sorts of rules and regulations...)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 01:35:13 PM »
- although obviously aware that this would be in breach of all sorts of rules and regulations...)

You'll be alright after 29th March! (Just joking).
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Anthony Hawkins

• Isle of Man, well drained soil, 28 in/year av.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 06:51:56 PM »
Would I be right in thinking something ate the middle, rather than rot? Though of course rot may then have taken a hand as well.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
You'll be alright after 29th March! (Just joking).
:) we live in interesting times as they say...

I agree that initial damage was probably something eating away and have found snowdrops like that where either narcissus fly or swift moth larva  has been chewing and then you get rot from the middle out.

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 01:28:43 PM »
I agree that initial damage was probably something eating away and have found snowdrops like that where either narcissus fly or swift moth larva  has been chewing and then you get rot from the middle out.

I think swift moth larvae often start on the roots and work their way up until they find the basal plate then go in that way.  In other instances they go in from the side and you may find only half the bulb left.  The wounding that they do to the bulb may cause it to rot but if there isn't too much rot then you should be able to find the entry wound.

Narcissus fly larvae supposedly enter the bulb from the top when they are very small.  Since they rely on the outer bulb scales for protection until they pupate it's not in their interest to cause rot and it would not surprise me if one day somebody discovers they secrete a fungicide. 
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 06:53:04 PM »
I had high hopes for this 'yet to flower' seedling...

Can anyone suggest a rescue plan?

Tim DH
I agree with Gail. If you cut it in half vertically, I think you may find the culprit inside. If so dispose of it then clean up the remaining bits of the bulb and treat like a chip (no, not salt and vinegar  ::) )
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal