We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrops in art  (Read 92420 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Snowdrops in art
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »
   ^    Well not that we know of anyway !

Oh my, that has made  me giggle  :-X   Can we be well warned before any photos are shown?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2015, 10:41:37 PM »
Now funny that you should say that about tattoos a certain lady that I was sitting with...............................................
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2015, 11:42:32 PM »
What a lovely thread with beautiful pictures.  I was taken with this snowdrop art at the AGS in Kent in 2013.  If I had not just spent all my money I would have got the snowdrop mirror and/or jewellery box.  They also offered to custom make pieces with snowdrops of your choice.  I had the card and cannot find it now :(
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2015, 12:35:04 AM »
Just seen those snowdrop nails.....they are marvellous  ;D

If I was 10 years younger I may consider the attached Snowdrop Fairy as a tattoo  :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:32:04 AM by kentish_lass »
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2015, 07:25:43 AM »
If I was 10 years younger I may consider the attached Snowdrop Fairy as a tattoo  :)
I don't think you should let age stop you!

Not that I'm considering it for myself, but how long does 'nail art' last for?

I didn't ask Christine that but they should at least last the snowdrop season out, which to be honest is about as long as some snowdrops I've bought! We were wondered how the cost of having them done compares with buying the snowdrops (two potfuls of Sutton Courtney apparently).
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »
Just seen those snowdrop nails.....they are marvellous  ;D

Love the tattoo idea.  I mentioned it to my husband, and he said that if I did that, then I could name my new X-marked snowdrop 'XHusband', catchy isn't it?
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
 ;D ;D
Love the tattoo idea.  I mentioned it to my husband, and he said that if I did that, then I could name my new X-marked snowdrop 'XHusband', catchy isn't it?

;)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »
I didn't ask Christine that but they should at least last the snowdrop season out, which to be honest is about as long as some snowdrops I've bought! We were wondered how the cost of having them done compares with buying the snowdrops (two potfuls of Sutton Courtney apparently).

I asked her today and she said six weeks, and not as expensive as you think!  Next year a russet background is under consideration ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2015, 03:58:51 PM »
Another photo from Twitter - this snowdrop work ex  a Quentin Stark Tweet

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2015, 09:00:44 PM »
I know what you mean. Another painting I have trouble seeing the snowdrop in is Millais's Mariana - the white flower in the stained glass window is said on the Tate website to be a snowdrop but looks more lily-like to me with that leaf on the stem.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/millais-mariana-t07553/text-summary

I am just catching up with several pages of this thread so forgive me for going back.

The Moorcroft pottery is just superb! Such beautiful pieces I'm really happy to have seen tyhese here.

Gail I have a poster of Mariana, bought at Dunedin Art Gallery a few years ago (3? 5?) when the Tate sent a stunning Pre Raphaelite exhibition to the gallery. A wonderful experience altogether, to see the genuine paintings. I particularly loved Mariana, not (I admit it, and yes, looks more like a lily to me) because of the snowdrop but I had such fellow feeling for Mariana herself, with that sore and aching back. I have stood like that a thousand times, trying to ease the pain so know exactly how she felt.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gail

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »
Yes, I can empathise with that.
I just love that blue velvet dress.

I was in Vienna last year and came across an interesting Vanitas painting in the Kunsthistorisches Museum. By Maria van Oosterwijck, one of very few professional female artists at the time (1668) it is beautifully detailed and features an aconite and snowdrop resting on the book.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2015, 10:13:16 PM »
Do you mean this, Gail?.  We could do with a few more pixels (higher resolution) if we are to see the snowdrop clearly.
Almost in Scotland.

Gail

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2015, 04:57:00 AM »
Do you mean this, Gail?.  We could do with a few more pixels (higher resolution) if we are to see the snowdrop clearly.

Yes, that is it. Sorry about the lack of a proper image - I suggest a trip to Vienna to see it in the flesh. (The chocolate torte at Hotel Sacher is also highly recommended!)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 08:30:05 AM »
Gail, you make a trip to Vienna seem almost irresistible.  I wonder if the snowdrops are in flower there yet? 
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2015, 08:41:23 AM »
Millais' painting of Mariana is very beautiful isn't it - though I must admit it is the lady herself that attracts me and the wonderful use of colour and light, and I hadn't really noticed the snowdrop/lily ;). Many years ago Dr. Dilys Davies (famous in the Hardy Plant world for abseiling down a rock face to plant her garden in the Lake District, and she also wrote a guide to the genus Allium) gave a talk to us on plants in paintings which was unique and fascinating, just like this particular thread on Snowdrops in art.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal