We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Summer companion plants for snowdrops  (Read 6319 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Summer companion plants for snowdrops
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »
Thanks, Martin, that's a kind offer.  From memory, when I tried to grow Welsh Poppies in the past I planted the seeds direct into the bed on the basis that poppies don't like to be disturbed.  But I got very few (possibly no) plants, certainly not enough to sustain the population next year.  I imagine I would need to start with a lot of seed (more than you find in a typical packet) in order to establish a 'critical mass' that would then go on to self-set.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »
I also get the yellow with the touch of orange at the edge of the petals which is most attractive.  I am weeding seedlings out here, but if I find any in pots which are not growing anything else will put them aside Alan, will let you know.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »
Alan, the most important thing is to sow fresh seed as Mec. cambrica seed loses viability very fast after ripening. Old seed will often produce nothing at all. Sowing fresh seed thinly in pots or trays is the best bet.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal