We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus to identify? Post them here....  (Read 229877 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Crocus to identify? Post them here....
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »

Comparison page here from Thomas Huber.  He's recently updated all the chrysanthus/biflorus cvs but this page shows the tommies:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/5012/8868.html?1129846074
scroll down to bottom of first post for tommies.

As far as I understand it  ::)  Whitewell purple has a dark tube.  Here's mine, taken last year, they're not out yet
Crocus Whitewell Purple

Thanks Diane, the crocus in your photos do look very similar to mine.  I can't see the tube color from my overhead photo, but I'll see if I have some more oblique angle views, or wait 2-3 more weeks when they'll be in bloom again.

And yes, I saw Thomas Huber's update on the chrysanthus/biflorus cvs, quite an impressive piece of work and a tremendous resource... I've been studing it.  Thanks for the link to one that shows the comparitive tommi crocus... most helpful.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2010, 10:23:15 PM »
Addendum...

Mark Mc,
Mark S.
the tommies (pict.3) could be "Ruby Giant" as supposed. The picture was taken in sunshine and almost all DSC cannot reproduce the correct ruby-violet color. Cv. "Ruby Giant" has a dark stem and it is a sterile clone. The Flower is larger then ordinary tommies and has a silvery gloss. See my picture of mixed tommies.

Pict. 1 & 2 seems to be a vernus cultivar. Was the name accidentally Queen of the Blues (C. vernus) instead of Violet Queen (C. sieberi ssp. atticus)? "Queen of the Blues" has some fine stripes inside the flower.

As Maggie correctly wrote reg. "Whitewell Purple" we don't have a common opinion on the forum.
There seem to exist two commercial forms.
One form has large flowers and a dark base and stem. Late flowering. Size almost like a C. vernus hybrid.(image like your 2nd. photo).
The other form of "Whitewell Purple" is more like a tommie, early flowering, white stem (no dark base)
"Barrs Purple" for reference.

Thanks so much Armin, our postings just missed each other.  Your information is very helpful in summarizing the issue of Whitewell Purple (of which I was unaware).  I do have (what was labeled as...) Barr's Purple, but have no photos, again, will need a few weeks to compare.  Your Whitewell Purple appears deep blue-purple, bluer than my mystery crocus, my plants in my last photo look closer in color to your last photo with mixed tommies and Ruby Giant.  Maybe I need to wait until flowering, and take some more diagnostic photos at various angles and such.  Nice comparitive series of good photographs, thanks for putting those forward.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:25:02 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »
Diane,
from image your "Whitewell Purple" looks more "Ruby Giant" to me! ;D The pedals in "Ruby Giant" are more rounded on the tips.

The problem always is the uncorrect color reproduction of digitial cameras. >:(
See image comparison with old and new DSC. (both cannot catch the real color as a human eye recognize!)
Best wishes
Armin

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2010, 10:45:40 PM »
Mark, maybe have look here.
This discussion about Whitewell Purple, Barr's Purple and Ruby Giant is not new  ;D ::)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »
Good evening Luit,
yes, it is a never ending story  ;D  ;D  ;D
Best wishes
Armin

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #215 on: March 04, 2010, 05:08:37 AM »
  Hi to everybody,
Can anybody tell what is the difference of Chrysanthus Uschak than standart Chrysanthus? I think that is just a cultivar name of a selected form of chrysanthus from Uşak (or Uschak in english)! Last week I have visited surrounding Uşak. I have seen lots of C. chrysanthus, C. fleischerii and C. flavus dissectus.
Here are some forms. They all have black lobes and red style anly a few I have seen full orange but they were also mixed with red style.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #216 on: March 04, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »
I agree, Ibrahim. The forms of C.chrysanthus I bought in the UK and brought with me to Bulgaria really do not look that different to the wild plant we see here. The bulgarian C.chrysanthus have red or orange styles and some have a small black dot at the base of the anthers and style. For me it would be better to think of Usak as a collection site, rather than a form which is any different to the wild type!
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #217 on: March 04, 2010, 08:49:56 AM »
Sorry, can't help with the tommie question.
The confusion around 'Ruby Giant', 'Whitewell Purple' and 'Barr's Purple' is still valid.

Ibrahim I've posted some comments about the yellow chrysanthus selections here:;
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5060.30
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #218 on: March 04, 2010, 10:42:23 PM »
Ibrahim,
interesting to see natural variations of C. chrysanthus, flowers with and without leaves.

Collection from Mt. Milea is characterised by the red style with 3 broad expanded branches.
And I never saw black tipped lobes, too.
Best wishes
Armin

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »
The confusion around 'Ruby Giant', 'Whitewell Purple' and 'Barr's Purple' is still valid.

I can tell the difference between my forms. One very pale with a white tube and the other deep purple that doesnt photograph very well
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
Uschak Orange is usually the first chrysanthus to flower for me but have to agree all the orange chrysanthus cultivars baffle me. A bit like snowdrops with a single mark

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2010, 10:52:49 PM »
Thomas I've tried to use your guide to ID this C. chrysanthus but I dont know if it is Snow Bunting or White Beauty. A packet of mixed chrysanthus are all one type  ::)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2010, 11:19:25 PM »
One more, sorry.

Thomas shows biflorus weldenii Albus that have a hint of yellow at the base and no grey. Is this a form of biflorus weldenii.? It's pristine white inside

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »
 Thomas your study on cultivars is great!
I want to attache some more from same region.
 C. flavus dissectus; some of them have very short style like standart flavus but the size of flowers and many narrow leaves are more helpfull to identify.
 C. fleischeri; is a common plant averywhere in this species the corm was very interesting for me. I am not sure if is this normal! I just tryed to make a photo of corm for my archives. First one lies on its side, second also, third one has stalon and the last two have up right coms!

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »
Mark, your first plant is clearly 'Snowbunting' - see the yellow groundcolour of the outer petals and the long stripes.
White Beatuy has pure white groundcolour and much shorter stripes.

The second one isn't a cultivar - at least I don't know of one looking like your plant. Perhaps it's a seedling.

Ibrahim, are you sure, the flavus with the short style are ssp dissectus?
This ssp is separated by its long, multiple devided style.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal