We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus to identify? Post them here....  (Read 229898 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Crocus to identify? Post them here....
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »
 ;) Thanks Thomas. I know I have been bitten by that kind of 'commercial selection' before and did have the nonflowering, but quickly increasing C.kotschyanus for a while. Does anyone else have experience with 'commercial forms' that want to take over the world by both seed and corm- like the C.cartwrightianus and C.cancellatus mazziaricus I mentioned?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
I've never had this experience with crocus but I have with Chionodoxa. In a few weeks my garden will look like a Turkish hillside. I am convinced that every seed produces a flowering-size bulb within a year & subsequently increases vegetatively at the same rate. A very pretty weed. 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »
;) Thanks Thomas. I know I have been bitten by that kind of 'commercial selection' before and did have the nonflowering, but quickly increasing C.kotschyanus for a while. Does anyone else have experience with 'commercial forms' that want to take over the world by both seed and corm- like the C.cartwrightianus and C.cancellatus mazziaricus I mentioned?

I have three pots of Crocus kotschyanus with corms the size of onions (well nearly!). I bought the originals in 2007 and they flowered once and haven't performed since. They are heading for the bin.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

jnovis

• crocusfile
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
Can somebody tell me where Labranda in Turkey is, please. Putting it into Google Earth,does not produce an answer.
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »
Jim I think it's also spelled Labraunda, in Muğla Province, SW Turkey.  Those who know the area may comment further.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Sinchets

« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
I have three pots of Crocus kotschyanus with corms the size of onions (well nearly!). I bought the originals in 2007 and they flowered once and haven't performed since. They are heading for the bin.
Save the as mouse bait, David. They can be sacrificial lambs  ;)
Simon

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2010, 01:16:08 PM »

;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »
Can somebody tell me where Labranda in Turkey is, please. Putting it into Google Earth,does not produce an answer.

Labranda, which is the holy area of Zeus Labraundeus, is in ancient Caria (Southwestern Anatolia), 13 kms northeast of Milas (Mylasa), the city to which it is affiliated. The site is famous with its Temple of Zeus, its delicious water, and its pine and plane tree forests. There are daily tours to Labranda from Bodrum as well which is about 1 hr away.
Hendrik

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »

;D ;D

Quite seriously David. If mice eat crocus corms, better that they eat poor ones than the better forms when baiting your traps. Fortunately NZ mice don't seem to have acquired the taste. I've never heard of it happening here. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2010, 09:01:26 PM »

Labranda, which is the holy area of Zeus Labraundeus, is in ancient Caria (Southwestern Anatolia), 13 kms northeast of Milas (Mylasa), the city to which it is affiliated. The site is famous with its Temple of Zeus, its delicious water, and its pine and plane tree forests. There are daily tours to Labranda from Bodrum as well which is about 1 hr away.
Hendrik

Hendrik forgot to mention the several quarries in the area and the enormous number of lorries which have reduced the approach road to a state where it has one foot deep ruts which shake the car to pieces and make you glad its a hire car and not your own. It is where Crocus nerimaniae was originally described from.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Roma

« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2010, 09:48:32 PM »
Crocus pulchellus is gradually spreading through my garden by seed spread by ants.  It also increases by division.  I think i got it originally as a few corms at a Discussion weekend but do not know its origin.  The crocuses in the garden came from seed and/or cormlets in old potting compost.  It flowers very well . I have posted pictures of it flowering in October.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Sinchets

« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas on this one? Could it be my 'lost' Crocus adanensis?
Simon

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »
Simon,
a very beautiful crocus. I checked my C. adanensis reference pictures but unfortunately none are matching :o

In the first view I thought of a form of C. abantensis but your sample leaves are much broader then typical and the whitish anthers and the black bottom inner markings confuse me.
Maybe it is a nice C. biflorus ssp. (adami) hybrid? :-\
As usual only a picture of the corm could give us more hints...
Best wishes
Armin

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas on this one? Could it be my 'lost' Crocus adanensis?

It isn't Crocus adanensis (see attached picture). What is the corm tunic?
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal