We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2019  (Read 15886 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Trillium 2019
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2019, 01:28:43 AM »
That is a very beautiful plant! Is that Primula sieboldii in the background? Here it doesn't flower yet.
By the way, I smelled my T.luteum yesterday and it does have lemony smell, not strong but very nice. :)

Yes Leena, P. sieboldii 'Late Snow' (with the so many cultivars sieboldii has who knows...). Probably a bit early because of the rains, otherwise still cool for this time of year, especially at night (below 10C).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2019, 01:31:20 AM »
I have this Primula or a similar variety under the name Primula sieboldii "Tah-Ni". still in pot, and I do not know where I should install it in the garden. yours seems to be pleased with its Trillium.

I despair with my seedlings of Trillium: nothing but a small Trillium grandiflorum of 3 cm on 0.3 cm on at least 10 attempts over 3 years I would try again the one you find "easy" but if nothing else. .. ???

With P. sieboldii truth is that is quite impossible to distinguish some of the cultivars. All beautiful though. Yes, part-shade and slightly moist (or more) fits them well.
I am sorry for your Trillium adventures but I really have nothing more to add or show than I already did. All germinates from fresh or moist kept seeds (warm/cold).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2019, 04:00:50 PM »
I despair with my seedlings of Trillium: nothing but a small Trillium grandiflorum of 3 cm on 0.3 cm on at least 10 attempts over 3 years I would try again the one you find "easy" but if nothing else. .. ???

Three years is a short time when growing Trilliums. At least for me it takes two years for the seedlings to come up (even from fresh seeds), and the first year they are only one small leaf. For me the fastest to flower has been five years since germination. And not all seeds, especially dry ones, germinate in two years. This year I have noticed seedlings in bed where I have put the empty seedpots in 2015, so don't throw away anything, they still might germinate one day. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Mariette

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2020, 03:34:22 PM »
My first trillium flowering this year, at least in the greenhouse.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2020, 06:24:15 AM »
what is he beautiful !

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2020, 08:24:03 AM »
My first trillium flowering this year, at least in the greenhouse.

Great Trillium!
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2020, 08:29:08 AM »
Mariette, it is a great plant, I love the leaves and contrast in them and the flower.
Leena from south of Finland

Mariette

« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »
Thank You, all! It´s raised from seed received as Trillium kurabayashii, but I´ll have to check if that´s correct when the flowers are fully developed. Having lost my first one to rodents, I now keep more interesting selections potted till I may divide them. They stay in the greenhouse during periods of frost, so this one is slightly ahead of those in the borders.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:08:24 PM by Mariette »

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2020, 10:27:49 PM »
Some seedlings of Trillium nivale -flowering for their first time. Not as compact as another form that I have which has still to open its flowers.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2022, 02:31:56 PM »
Hi Steve,

Sorry to resurrect such an old topic, but I’m looking for info on T. nivale composts. You look to be doing pretty well with it, so can I ask what you grow them in? I’ve heard just loam/grit/sand without added organics but not sure.

Cheers,
Alex

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2022, 07:10:20 PM »
Hi Alex,
It likes a well-drained compost that is not overly acidic. I use loam, granite grit, perlite and leaf mould (composted bark also works). My mixes are pretty lean with over 60% drainage material (grit and perlite). I give high nitrogen liquid feeds from as soon as it appears until leaf growth is complete.
Cheers,
Steve
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2022, 03:19:05 AM »
Excellent, thanks very much for that! I was leaning towards that sort of idea but very good to have it confirmed by someone who’s had a bit of success!

Alex

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal