We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium 2012  (Read 49107 times)

Graham Catlow

Cypripedium 2012
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
Thought I would start this years thread as things seem to be happening and talked about in other threads.

Although nothing is happening with mine. I was a little worried that something was wrong - especiallly as Angie in Aberdeen has some coming through.
I went for a little search earlier and all seem ok but still below ground or below the surface in their pots.
I think I am happy for them to stay there for another week or two just in case the weather turns wintery again.

It seems many of you either have yours in cold frames or frost free greenhouses but I leave mine outdoors in a sheltered spot. I will see how well they have done this year and perhaps change my routine next winter.

In the garden - formosanum, calceolus, reginae, ventricosum, 'Giselle'.
In pots - guttatum, guttatum 'yatabeanum', smithii, macranthos, tibeticum, plectrochylum, and wardii.
Bo'ness. Scotland

monocotman

Re: Cypripedium 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:08:57 PM »
Graham,
as today seemed to be the first day of spring - 15 degrees and hazy sun all day, I checked the pots that have spent the winter in the unheated garage.
The only one close to showing is 'Sunny' and that will be through in maybe a couple of days.
Not long now!
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

sottych

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »
Hello everybody
Here in France for the moment before it is spring time,but beware! the weather is back for the next few days.
There in about 10 days we had a cold spell,to  - 16°C ,many palnts have suuered.
I look at my Cyp. Reginae ,by removing a little soil ,the buds are present but slightly dark , I hope he has not suffered from the cold ?
Patience and we will see !
Cordially
Christian
Passion for botany and marveled at the Pleiones 30 years.
I visited the greenhouses of Ian BUTTERFIELD
East-central FRANCE

angie

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »
Graham I know Anthony Darby had his Cypripediums outside in all weathers. I would have prefered not to see any of mine above the soil. It was a cold day today here is Aberdeen, our spring like weather has gone away for the moment. Hopefully this will hold them back.
I am terrible I keep having a poke about the soil to see if the others are all right. I have no patience.
Really looking forward to the next few months. My South African bulbs are starting to come to an end so now I can focus on my Cyps.
I hope all will be well.

Angie  :)

Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:38:25 PM »
Hi,

my outdoor cyps are just showing their tips. I have put slug pellets around them as they seem to be the first fresh food on the table for molluscs. :(
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Sarmienta

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »
Thanks maren ;)..........you brought me on a good idea with the slug pellets.
Some of the cyp tips are above the ground  . imagine that these buds of macranthos will be in flower ,in about 2 months. .Every year around the end of april

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »
Very nice sights Sarmienta  ;)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Hakone

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »
fargesii

EDIT by Forum Moderator :   Apologies -some earlier photos posted by Hakone have been removed because  of a security issue with their remote hosting site.

angie

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »
Thanks maren ;)..........you brought me on a good idea with the slug pellets.
Some of the cyp tips are above the ground  . imagine that these buds of macranthos will be in flower ,in about 2 months. .Every year around the end of april

Really nice picture. I grow mine in pots just a bit afraid to try them in my garden. Are you in the UK.
Maren, thanks I must remember and use some slug pellets this year.

Angie T.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
fargesii

Hakone

Nice healthy looking plant. If this is a new plant for you I've grown quite a few in the past and would really recommend putting some pine needles all around the plant to keep the leaves away from the top of your mix as they are prone to easily rotting off if sitting on a damp surface. Also if you are lucky enough to get a flower bud, do not water from above as the leaves act as a funnel and the water gets trapped in the center causing the stem of the bud to rot and abort its flower.

Sorry if you know this already but just thought it worth mentioning as it's a real stunner when in flower but very easy to abort.

Regards

David

Sarmienta

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 05:06:42 PM »
I also put some (hard) treefern on top of the vulnerable species like C margaritaceum,but you could also use some material from a broom ;) . :-[ Angie.......... I'm not in the UK ,i live in Holland,were theyuse to grow Cyps in wooden shoes ;D

Hakone

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »
Hi David,

thank you very much
EDIT by Forum Moderator :   Apologies -some earlier photos posted by Hakone have been removed because  of a security issue with their remote hosting site.

angie

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
I also put some (hard) treefern on top of the vulnerable species like C margaritaceum,but you could also use some material from a broom ;) . :-[ Angie.......... I'm not in the UK ,i live in Holland,were theyuse to grow Cyps in wooden shoes ;D

Holland isn't to far away. Just nice to know where others are successfully growing these Cyps. I am new to them and try and find out what others do. I think mine should do well in our cold climate  ;D Well I hope so anyway.

Angie T.

angie

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 05:38:54 PM »
David,  I have just bought Cypripedium fargesii and got some advice from Graham Catlow already. One thing I was wandering because this one is more tricky should I keep it somewhere else than my cold frame.

Angie T.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 06:06:40 PM »
Angie

They are not easy to grow and this is partly due to the quality of the rhizome you will have received. I tried several locations and found they grew best covered at the top to keep the rain off but need airflow from the sides. Also found Cyp lichiangense easier than Cyp fargesii. Leaves can be scorched easily by the sun and partial shading is recommended at all times. Others might have more success using different methods, I can only say what worked for me.

Pic below is lichiangense

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:11:06 PM by Slug Killer »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal