We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ireland trip  (Read 2548 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Ireland trip
« on: June 30, 2007, 09:51:55 PM »
Two weeks ago we made our first visit to Ireland. Naturally we had to go and visit Mark's garden, and were very impressed with the range of plants he grows in a very small space (also we were treated to a delicious tea by his mum!). Here are some photos of Mark, a small gardening neighbour, and his garden. Note the fly swat at the ready for narcissus flies!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
Re: Ireland trip
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »
A couple of days later we made it to the Burren, alas only for a few hours. What a place! The geology is stunning, the flowers fascinating and numerous, and the stone walls are a work of art!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 10:02:28 PM »
In one small area about 10 x 5m we found six orchids and a broomrape, as well as the ubiquitous Geranium sanguineum and other beauties.
The Orobanche is parasitic on thyme. The white dactylorhiza was everywhere, and very few pink ones, so we are confident that it is D. fuchsii ssp okellyi, a Burren speciality. The only thing is it is said to be scented which these were not, though oddly neither were the fragrant orchids on the same site.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »
There were even some ferns for us on the Burren - 3 aspleniums in one hole! Aa. ceterach, trichomanes and ruta-muraria.
Another striking plant was the common wall pennywort growing on a very old burial mound. Finally some pre-Stonehenge and pre-pyramids botanical art. This was a stone at the end of the entrance passage to the tomb. At the equinoxes, the rising sun strikes the 'daisy' at top left then moves across to the others in turn. This is a unique representation of the sun in passage grave art.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 12:35:13 AM »
more please. Is that Roy Orbison in my garden?

Lewis, who thinks Lewisia is named after him because I told him so, tripped me accidentally this evening. His dad and I were walking outside the garden when he ran between us. I hit the deck with full force going on one knee. He laughed! Just wait I said, my day will come
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 05:36:03 AM »
I hope you put an ice pack on your knee after your fall, Mark.
I'm glad Anne said that was a (narcissus) fly swatter in your hand as I was wondering why you had a spatula with you in the garden! Trying to bake a cake to outdo Lesley?
Enjoyed the glimpse of your garden and the wonderful Burren. Thanks, Anne, for your great pics.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal