Rhodothamnus

(1/14) > >>

Frans IJsselstijn:
Hello everybody

In what kind of soil grows Rhodothamnus chamaecistus
Thanks for the answers

Frans

johnw:
Franz  - Here it grows in a trough in acid soil with granite grit.  I would bet in the wild it grows around limestone, maybe in thin acid soil above limestone just to confuse us as do many rhododendrons.

johnw

Lesley Cox:
I have half a dozen tiny seedlings from last year's seed exchange. I expect they'll have to be pot or trough plants too as it's far too dry for them in the great outdoors. We had about 25mm of rain here during the last week but when I went to plant bulbs on Thursday, only the top cm of soil was damp. I couldn't believe it. If we have 2.5 cms of rain how can it not penetrate more than 1 cm? It was a little better where I had used "Wettasoil" on some recently planted things.

ichristie:
 Hi, I grow this plant on a raised bed which ihas a good well drained compost with some fine bark amongst it and I also have a plant in a raised peat bed both flower well, I post a picture, cheers Ian the Christie kind.

johnw:
Wonderful red bits on that Rhodothamnus Ian.

I should have said acid mix instead of acid soil.  The mix is a bit of soil, peat and bark plus plent of granite grit. Sharp drainage seems to be essential.  However mine is never as lusty looking as Ian's.

johnw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version