We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: To the flowering daffodils in the Eifel/W. Germany  (Read 3169 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
To the flowering daffodils in the Eifel/W. Germany
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:06:51 AM »
There are a few spectacular annual mass displays of flowering wild daffodils (Narcissus pseudonarcissus) along the Belgian-German border in both countries. One of them is situated in the Valley of the Perlbach - close to the city of Monschau/Eifel.
In recent years especially the occurence along the Perlbach became a touristic attraction and after being informed about the right time by contacting a hotline two forum members started a pleasant trip.
Here are some impressions

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerdk

Re: To the flowering daffodils in the Eifel/W. Germany
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »
Part 2

The rest from the Perlbachtal and Pulsatilla vulgaris near Blankenheim

Gerd
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:34:03 PM by Maggi Young »
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 06:43:06 PM »
You and Armin had a very good trip Gerd, lovely set of pics.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 11:20:59 PM »
Many thanks Gerd for starting this thread.

David,
yes it was a very good trip. After return to home I was tired but happy.

The -Perlenbachtal- is a comparatively small nature reservation area of ~400ha. The name -Perlenbachtal- is derived from the freshwater pearl mussel (Margaritifera margaritifera) an extremely endangered species in Germany. The species is capable of making fine quality pearls, therefore it was historically exploited in the search for black pearls from wild sources.

In the creek -Perlbach- only a very small popolation survived the overcrop in the 19th. century and the increasing water pollution of expanding industrialisation.
It is considered as save that also the introduction of the American Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in the 19th. century who forced out the domestic Brown Trout (Salmo trutta fario) population diminished the mussels. The Brown trout's gills carry the baby mollusk stadium of the mussel and secure the survival and distribution of the mussels within the creek.

I've attached some of my pictures...
Best wishes
Armin

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »
the next batch of pictures...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:32:18 PM by aruby »
Best wishes
Armin

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 11:46:56 AM »
Great pictures Gerd and Armin !
I had never heard of this area - I didn't even realize there existed such a 'wild' Narcissus population so nearby.
I'll certainly make a note of it to go and look for and at them perhaps next Spring !
Thanks again !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerdk

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »
Thank you David and Luc!

Luc - it´s not too late to see flowering daffodils - our visit was just  before 3 days!
        The place in eastern Belgium is Holzwarchetal (Enkelbacher Mühle) - this is
        situated between Rocherath and Mürringen!

Armin - please remind me to wear something like a cap or hat before you take
        photographs from me!   ;)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:12:25 PM »
Gerd,
you are a nice looking guy - you don't need a cap ;) ;D

For all the others:

The remote brook valleys have been probably already in 12. Century stubbed and more as 600 years long used as hay meadows for the cattle in the region.
Because the hay harvest is not worthwhile itself any longer, starting from approximately 1950 many valley meadows with spruces were reforested. In order to stop this erroneous trend, the area was placed 1976 under nature protection.
End of the 1980's was begun on initiative of the North-Rhine/Westphalia foundation and the Nature Park "The North Eifel" to remove the spruces (Picea abies) and gradually the richness in species in the meadows, sumps, moorlands and alluvial forest could unfold again.

Some more impressions
Best wishes
Armin

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »
After having taken a tasty lunch in a local restaurant we went in the afternoon to another location near Blankenheim.

By leaving a forest we saw from the car a quite large meadow with thousands of Primula veris, however, not yet in full blossom.
Nevertheless we decided to take a stop for further investigations...

As Gerd already briefly mentioned we got suddenly surprised and overwhelmed by hundreds of tiny blue Pulsatilla vulgaris, forcing me to kneel down to take close pictures.
A collection of my best images for you...
Best wishes
Armin

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 10:16:41 PM »
Very interesting report friends!
I heard about the Narcissus location already several times, but did not know there were so many.
But I am totally surprised by the Pulsatilla location, just about three hours driving from here!
Great pictures!!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »
Quote from: Gerdk link=is Holzwarchetal (Enkelbacher Mühle) - this is
        situated between Rocherath and Mürringen!
       Gerd
[/quote

I have to work this week Gerd  ::) - no chance for this season  :'(
I'll certainly note it in next year's agenda  ;)

Thanks for the added pictures Armin - you seem to have had a wonderful outing !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ruweiss

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »
Dear Armin and Gerd,
Thank you so much for showing us such beautiful pictures of this beautiful part of our
country. I did not know anything before of this floral paradise.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »
Rudi,
thanks for your comment.

The thread will be continued...

On the way to the "Dreimühlen Wasserfall" (three mills waterfall) in Ahütte we stopped at the castle ruins of "Burgruine Neublankenheim". The castle ~anno 1335 was built by Gerhard V von Blankenheim. The house of "Blankenheim" died out already in the year 1406.
After that the castle changed its owners various times and the building started to decay.
At the end of the 16th. century the castle wasn't anymore habitable according to a document.

The remaining ruins has been renovated in the years 2004 to 2006 and is now available for tourists.
The castle ruin, except its age, isn't so much interesting but...

please see the next pictures.
The Castle ruins
Primula elatior - forms
Viola reichenbachiana
Pulmonaria obscura
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:25:30 AM by Maggi Young »
Best wishes
Armin

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 09:55:31 PM »
The day in the Eifel ended with the visit of the "Dreimühlen Wasserfall" near Üxheim/ Ahütte.

In the Ahbachtal (Ahbach valley) an extraordinary sight is to find, which does not seem very special at the first glimps. A rather small waterfall, falling down a twelve metre long and five metre high limestone cliff. What looks really natural and not special at all is an extraordinary technical monument.
It does not look artificial, at the fact that it was declared a natural monument more than 70 years ago (1938) confuses the whole story even more. It definitely is an artificial waterfall.
With the building of the railway from Dümpelfeld to Jünkerath around 1910 the three vauclusian springs were joined to a watercourse, in order to through-supply the water collected under the railway.

The withdrawing spring water has a temperature of approx. 8°C and a calcium content of approx. 200mg/Litre. By spraying the carbonate-rich water at the spill sheet of the sinter bank carbon-dioxide can escape from the water and calcium carbonate falls out. By the moss, which grow on the waterfall, the surface, at which lime deposits can develop, is increased additionally.

In the time of 1910 until today so 12m formed for a long time, 5m high "wall" from carbonate sinter rock. The calcified moos dies and gives the wall and so the waterfall its form. Per year approx. 4.5 tons carbonate are deposited by this constant procedure and the waterfall grow annually 8-10 cm into the valley.

Because of its uniqueness the waterfall was explained as the nature monument: it is the northern most lime inter occurrence in Europe.
Such waterfalls and their growing tufa are typical for limestone karst areas. But the artificial reason for the process and the extreme speed of an geologic process make it special.

Thank you Gerd for showing me!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:58:10 PM by aruby »
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal