We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 108039 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2016, 08:01:46 PM »
So many more fascinating plants Robert! Viola douglasii is a neat thing, and Hosackia incana. I think my interest in the Apiaceae has a lot to do with their foliage as much as flowers; legumes have the same appeal and the viola is delightful too. Here in the 'alpine world' in the UK we see pictures of the amazing rosulate violas from S. America (and very occasionally see them in cultivation) but the N. American species are just as fascinating. Must be so exciting to come across these in their natural habitats. (PS: some of the seed you sent me of other plants is germinating but we had such a lack of proper winter cold that seed germination this year has been much more erratic and limited than usual - I hope that more will appear next year and I would certainly like to explore the Californian flora more in the garden here, even if not so easy to grow. The landscapes you show are even more wonderful. Thanks again).

Tim,

I have great gratitude that you are enjoying my postings. Although I have had to adjust my plans somewhat for this season, I have made considerable progress so far this season. There are some fantastic plant species here in California and most likely many new and improved horticultural forms still this find and experiment with in our gardens.

At some point I will have to send you a PM regarding one of last year's seed accessions. There always seems to be a surprise here and there.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #256 on: May 07, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »
Part II
Jay Bird Reservoir

As I continued my journey down into the canyon, I came across blooming colonies of Collomia heterophylla.

Collomia heterophylla is another one of our California native annuals. The flowers are quite bright and where they grow in quantity they can be very showy.

I saw Iris hartwegii in bloom very frequently this day.

All of the plants I observed this day were in shades of yellow. I the past I have found lavender forms, however I rarely see them in this color shade.

The King Fire certainly opened the forest canopy. The Iris seem to have gained benefit from this. Many of the Iris clumps had multiple flowering stems and looked fantastic in bloom.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #257 on: May 07, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »

Draperia systyla is a low mounding perennial. The long, soft, hairs on the foliage make this species distinctive and easily identified. From the flowers there is a clear resemblance to the Genus Phacelia, to which it is related.

Deeper into the canyon Paintbrushes began to appear.

These were Castilleja affinis ssp. affinis.

In the wild the various Castilleja species will hybridize with each other, sometimes making identification challenging. These were true to type and very easily identified.

By chance I have this species in cultivation is our Garden. It has turned out to be very easy to cultivation in a very well drained soil. Having a somewhat root-parasitic nature I grow this species with Lupinus albifrons var. collinus. If this is necessary or not I am unsure. Anyway the plants seem to be doing very well with this arrangement.

Lower in the canyon large colonies of Mimulus kelloggii began to appear. This and many other native annuals have benefited greatly from the adequate precipitation this year.

Near the bottom of the canyon, the canyons walls narrowed and became very steep. There were many cliff faces where Dudleya cymosa grew and bloomed abundantly.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #258 on: May 07, 2016, 06:29:20 PM »

I occasionally found this Cirsium species, both near the upper canyon rim as well as near Silver Creek at the bottom of the canyon.

It keyed out to be Cirsium andersonii, a common species in our area.

Some plants can be very ornamental with various amounts (none to a fair amount) of white/silvery cob-webbing around the phyllaries. This year I have a batch of seedlings I am testing in our garden. I am a bit concerned that they could be weedy, so I am using caution.

Low in the canyon, the canyon walls were very steep with many waterfalls. This was a very enjoyable sight.

Near the bottom of the canyon the number of non-native invasive species increased. Some of the non-native species can be attractive when in bloom. Pictured is a colony of Trifolim dubium with Petrorhiga dubia. Unfortunately there were plenty of the nasties too such as Convolvulus arvensis, Bromus tectorum, Torilis arvensis, ect.

Always a concern for me is how our native bunch grasses have been displaced by aggressive invasive species such as the various non-native Bromus species, as well as Avena sp, Hordeum sp, and other non-native species. I was very pleased to find some healthy colonies of our native bunch grass Stipa lemmonii.

As I neared the bottom of the canyon Silver Creek  appeared through the breaks in the forest canopy.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #259 on: May 07, 2016, 06:32:13 PM »
A picture of a creek is usually appealing  but a photo of a waterfall is ALWAYS appealing!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »

Another species seen in shady cliff faces was Polystichum imbricans ssp. curtum.

Sometimes there were interesting plant combinations such as this one; Polystichum imbricans ssp curtum growing with Pentagramma triangularis, and Dudleya cymosa.

Three species of Phacelia were seen this day. Phacelia imbricata is the most wide spread and common species in the lower elevations of the Sierra Nevada.

Occasionally Phacelia purpusii was seen blooming perched on rock ledges.

Finally I arrived at Silver Creek, elevation 2,943 feet (897 meters), 1,693 feet (516 meters) and 4.21 miles (6.78 km) from the canyon rim where I had started.

I had partly hiked into the canyon to see if I could find Lewisia serrata. I had some good ideas where to look, however the water was too high in the creek to cross and check the shady rock faces on the other side of the creek. In addition, in the other direction there was a large penstock and hydro-electric power plant that I did not want to deal with.

Lewisia serrata would have to wait until another day. I still had one additional site to check before returning home and I now needs to hike out of the canyon.

Too be continued.......
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2016, 06:58:21 PM »
A picture of a creek is usually appealing  but a photo of a waterfall is ALWAYS appealing!

Maggi,

There were a number of waterfalls in this area. It was very spectacular! The sound of the falls as I neared the canyon bottom was exciting. It may not have been Yosemite Valley but still this was all very beautiful. The plants were great too.

I have one more installment with more beautiful plants. Hopefully some stimulating ideas for our gardens at home!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #262 on: May 08, 2016, 09:11:14 PM »
Waterfalls are nice of course, but at home I do see more waterfalls than nice plants ;D The blooming season has just started now.

Very nice Robert!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #263 on: May 08, 2016, 11:07:56 PM »
Part III
Jay Bird Reservoir
&
Peavine Ridge

Returning to the truck, I was struck by the beauty of this canyon. This is an area that I will definitely want to return to and explore in more detail.

On returning I generally enjoy taking my time, especially to see what species I might have missed on the outward part of the journey. This day I did not miss much, 5 species out of 125 plus species tallied for the day.

Of other interest is spotting plants that may be of horticultural interest. I saw many Mimulus kelloggii this day, however this one plant was exceptional in form and flower.

Eriophyllum lanatum var. achilleoides was frequently seen this day, however most had not started their bloom cycle yet.

This specimen of Solanum xanti was above average too.

I finally arrived at the canyon rim and was ready to proceed to one of my favorite sites on Peavine Ridge. Right before leaving, I spotted this striking colony of Erysimum capitatum. So many of our California Native Erysimum species are worthy of cultivation and certainly this species is too.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:38:54 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #264 on: May 08, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »

Peavine Ridge is a botanically interesting area for many reasons. This site, at 5,158 feet (1,572 meters), is a place that I visit frequently. My timing was prefect to see Calochortus minimus in bloom.

Last year I spotted only a few blooming plants at this site. This year there were hundreds.

I have considerable interest in the Genus Viola. So far, I have found three species on this part of the ridge: Viola purpurea, V. lobata, and V. sheltonii.

Pictured one can see Viola purpurea and V. sheltonii growing only a few cm from each other. This year all the Viola sheltonii had finished there bloom cycle, however in other seasons they can be seen blooming with Viola purpurea. The chromosome count of both species can be 2n=12 (some forms of V. purpurea are 2n=24), so hybrids are theoretically possible. Other forms of incompatibility are possible too, however I always keep an eye-out for possible hybrids.

Ceanotheus prostratus grows at this site. Generally the flowers of this species are deep lavender-blue to pale bluish-white. This specimen had nice white flowers. Ceanothus species are know to hybridize with each other, however this plant appeared to be true to the species.

Walking among the rocks Lupinus latifolius was just starting to bloom.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:39:47 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #265 on: May 09, 2016, 12:02:14 AM »

Out in the open sun among the rocks there were many Allium obtusum var. conspicuum in bloom. The variety conspicuum is noted as being uncommon, however this is the variety I most often see in this part of the Sierra Nevada.

Triteleia ixioides was just starting into bloom among the rocks. Its main bloom cycle starts in a few weeks. They will be followed by Dichelostemma multiflorum, which grows abundantly at this site too.

In other areas there were sheets of Sanicula tuberosa in bloom making a striking cover of yellow among emerging grasses.

Close by there was a good view of the High peaks of the Crystal Range and the approaching storm clouds. There is still a considerable amount of snow in the higher terrain. Next week I hope to visit the Lyon's Creek area, the headwaters of which start at the base of Pyramid Peak, the highest peak on the right hand side of the photograph. There I hope to see snow melt species as they emerge and bloom. Further exploration of Poho Ridge, down the mountain a bit, is another choice if there is still too much snow in the Lyon's Creek area.

I hope you have all enjoyed!  :)   Until next time.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #266 on: May 09, 2016, 12:08:23 AM »
Waterfalls are nice of course, but at home I do see more waterfalls than nice plants ;D The blooming season has just started now.

Very nice Robert!

Trond,

There must be many, many wonderful waterfalls in Norway! You have certainly shown a few.  :)

Some of my recent plans "felt through", however I am extremely busy with exciting and interesting work to do here in the Sierra Nevada. Great progress is being made and I hope to be sharing all of this on the forum.

I look forward to another bloom season in Norway.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »

.  .  .  . 
Near the bottom of the canyon the number of non-native invasive species increased. Some of the non-native species can be attractive when in bloom. Pictured is a colony of Trifolim dubium with Petrorhiga dubia. Unfortunately there were plenty of the nasties too such as Convolvulus arvensis, Bromus tectorum, Torilis arvensis, ect.

Always a concern for me is how our native bunch grasses have been displaced by aggressive invasive species such as the various non-native Bromus species, as well as Avena sp, Hordeum sp, and other non-native species. I was very pleased to find some healthy colonies of our native bunch grass Stipa lemmonii.

Robert,
are you sure it is Trifolium dubium? I think it looks more like T. campestre. They are both native to Norway although the first one is rare. When I find T. campestre I always look for other interesting plants as it is usually found in warm rather dry habitats.

Hoy

« Reply #268 on: May 09, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »
Erysimum capitatum stands out! We have 2 onions (Allium sp) around here. Neither are as showy as yours :)

Robert

« Reply #269 on: May 09, 2016, 03:04:18 PM »
Robert,
are you sure it is Trifolium dubium? I think it looks more like T. campestre. They are both native to Norway although the first one is rare. When I find T. campestre I always look for other interesting plants as it is usually found in warm rather dry habitats.

Trond,

I must not get sloppy with my work!  :)

Both Trifolium dubium and T. campestre grow in California and are easy to distinguish from each other, .....as long as one is paying attention. From the photograph I can not determine how striated the flowers might be. I do not want to get sloppy.  :o  Thank you for this remark!  :)   :)   :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:07:29 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal