We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione 2014  (Read 45151 times)

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
Pleione 2014
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »
Yesterday I deflasked several of my seedlings. I was very surprised with my remake of Pleione Lucey, because many of bulblets made stolons like this. I've never seen that before  :o
K.
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

Danshi

Re: Pleione 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »
Hi Karel,
that's an interesting find. I only knew that hookeriana made stolons. Just out of interest: When did you sow those plants and how big are they now?

Happy new year everyone!
Daniel

SteveC2

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »
Presumably it is the humilis parentage which makes Lucey form stolons.  I use mini aquatic baskets for some of my pleione and every now and then a humilis shoot comes out of the mesh at the side well away from the mother bulb due to the stolon.

Michal Mikita

• "Možno raz, alebo len čas vie či vôbec niekedy..."
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
After cleaning... My Pln. formosana starts to grow...
Michal Mikita, Banská Bystrica, Slovenská republika

SteveC2

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »
 Carefully does it Michal.  If I ever tried to take such a photo of any of my Pleione then I'm sure it would be the exact moment that one of my cats would leap on the table  and leave me with nothing but Pleione Mixed. ;D ;D
I already have a pot labelled "Pleione Peterborough" as the only thing I know about those bulbs is that someone with a Peterborough postmark sent me them, no idea who.  Hopefully when they flower I will have more idea.  Still I can think of worse things to get in the post.

Michal Mikita

• "Možno raz, alebo len čas vie či vôbec niekedy..."
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
Carefully does it Michal.  If I ever tried to take such a photo of any of my Pleione then I'm sure it would be the exact moment that one of my cats would leap on the table  and leave me with nothing but Pleione Mixed. ;D ;D
I already have a pot labelled "Pleione Peterborough" as the only thing I know about those bulbs is that someone with a Peterborough postmark sent me them, no idea who.  Hopefully when they flower I will have more idea.  Still I can think of worse things to get in the post.

I don't have a cat, I only have yorkshire-terrier who doesn't know jump up on table :D
Michal Mikita, Banská Bystrica, Slovenská republika

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 05:37:39 PM »
I don't have a cat, I only have yorkshire-terrier who doesn't know jump up on table :D

My Mother in Law's Yorkshire Terrier knew EXACTLY how to jump on a table - especially one with food!  :-X :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

erf

• PleioneWorld
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
Thanks for starting Pleione 2014 Karel, and a happy New Year to all.

Again this year, Pleione spring flowering hybrids starts with Pleione Sirena

Regards Erling
cbc35863586
For Pleione pictures, have a look at https://www.facebook.com/PleioneWorld
or find me at www.pleioneworld.dk

Danshi

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 02:39:33 PM »
That's a beautifully shaped clone of Sirena you have, Erling. Reminds me to get my humilis and forrestii out of the fridge soon.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
Yesterday I deflasked several of my seedlings. I was very surprised with my remake of Pleione Lucey, because many of bulblets made stolons like this. I've never seen that before  :o
K.

Photo showing Pleione humilis and stolon from last year. Thought at the time of taking the picture the subject would pop up sooner or later.

gregork

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »
Hello all ;)

Today I checked some of my pleione bulbs that i keep in the fridge. I noticed that some of them are getting shriveled. they are P. formosana that i am growing for a few years and that never happened before. what could be the cause of that? I also noticed some brown spots on my P limprichtii. I have to say it does not look good :S
The temperature  in the fridge is about 5°C. Any advice is very welcome

Ps. Very nice P. Sirena Erling ;)
Ljubljana, Slovenia - Zone 7

erf

• PleioneWorld
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
Hello gregork
I also keep pleione bulbs in the fridge when they are dormant. But you must be aware, that humidity in the fridge is very low. One or two times during the stay i give all the bulbs a little mist of rainwater. That keep them fresh. About the brown spots, maybe you could post a picture.
Regards Erling
cbc35863586
For Pleione pictures, have a look at https://www.facebook.com/PleioneWorld
or find me at www.pleioneworld.dk

gregork

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »
I will check the humidity in the fridge. I never thought the misting would be needed. I will take some photos tomorrow and post them here. So that you will know what i am talking about. thanks ;)

Graham Catlow

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »
Hi Gregork,
I had a problem with shriveling bulbs one year and realised I had rushed them into dormancy by removing the leaves too soon. They hadn't fully yellowed and dropped off on their own but I thought it would be ok to cut them off. I don't know why this caused the problem but I am sure it was the reason. Is it possible you did the same with your formosana?

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

gregork

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »
Hmm i was thinking the same thing Graham. Most of the leaves did fell off, but i remember cutting one of them for sure. It just didn't want to fell off. If i remember well they must have been in the fridge at least for 2-3 months now. Maybe i have put them in there too soon?

I checked the humidity inside and it says 63%... this seems ok. so the problem must be somewhere else.
One thing is.. i didn't dipe them in neem oil or anything else.
I will post some pictures tomorrow.
Thanks for the comment Graham!

Regards
Gregor

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal