We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2021  (Read 9105 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Paeonia 2021
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2021, 10:22:02 PM »
And why why why, forum fairy, are all my photos published rotated? The flower should be looking to the left.
Message  from the  forum fairy :
As has been explained previously  in the  Forum about this issue, it  is to do with  how the  images were  orientated when they came  from your  camera, I believe that something happens which means that when loaded to the  forum they return to thier  original direction, tough for  you to change  this, but  luckily, I can!

https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=65.msg370435#msg370435
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susann

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2021, 05:15:23 PM »
Thank you!

You are the best fairy ever. Or hmmm...Maybe the second best after the tooth fairy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 05:44:06 PM by Susann »
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

kot

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2021, 09:03:25 AM »
Paeonia tenuifolia

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2021, 09:12:48 AM »
That is lovely. I haven't seen any bicoloured here. Did you raise it from seed?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

kot

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2021, 09:16:25 AM »
paeonia tenuifolia

kot

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2021, 12:55:53 PM »
paeonia tenuifolia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2021, 06:45:14 AM »
Paeonia rockii and Paeonia officinalis from Monte Baldo (with friends)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Susann

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2021, 08:21:26 AM »

I was going to take a picture of a pristine white Paeonia in my garden, asking my friend if she knew what it was. Then I found this! It must have flowered for many years, but it is the first time I am enjoying it. (I have been away this time of year for many years). I have of course no idea what might be involved. All my Paeonias are grown from seeds, labels long time gone.

Susann

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2021, 12:40:34 PM »

Here is a close-up of my beautiful surprise

GordonT

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »
Beautiful plant, Susann!

I am late to add to this thread this year.... Paeonia mlokosewitschii has already finished up for the year, after we relocated it in 2020. Now the tree peonies are coming on strong, beginning with Paeonia rockii. Several years ago I was finally able to find potted seedlings of P. rockii for sale at our local Rare Plant Sale, and snapped one up, thinking only of the classic white blooms and their deep maroon blotches. I was happy to discover there were two seedlings in the pot, one much smaller, and weaker than the other, so I gave them each a bit of room.

A few years later, the larger plant bloomed.

This was not what I had hoped for, so I was a bit disappointed in the brilliant pink/magenta bloom. The plant has grown on me over the past few years, and is a robust grower, so I am happy it is here.

Last year the smaller plant that had struggled underneath the pink one finally bloomed. It put out three flowers in 2020, and this year I count at least 13 buds.

Both plants are doing extremely well in a sun drenched and very exposed location. This group shot was taken the day before the individual portraits...it was cold, drizzly and very windy, so the blooms had closed up shop for the day.

691281-2

Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2021, 07:59:32 PM »
Much as I love peonies, I'm generally not particularly keen on their scent but this is the exception - 'White Innocence' is a Saunders hybrid, lactiflora x emodi, and a very beautiful single flower with a lovely, light and sweet fragrance.
691707-0
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2021, 02:43:10 PM »
Much as I love peonies, I'm generally not particularly keen on their scent but this is the exception - 'White Innocence' is a Saunders hybrid, lactiflora x emodi, and a very beautiful single flower with a lovely, light and sweet fragrance.
(Attachment Link)

Just reminds me Gail, about three weeks ago we were visiting The Garden House and came across a beautiful yellow Paeony with the perfume of the freshest of lemons. I spent the rest of the afternoon tracking down any staff member or volunteer who might have been able to let me have it’s name. The thing was no one could tell me. One of the volunteers did tell me that I had been the fourth visitor that day attempting to get hold of the information. I’ve no picture to add but did wonder if you might be able to give me a clue?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

brianw

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2021, 02:50:58 PM »
i have a P. rockii that I posted a photo of here in 2015. a few months back i noticed it has fallen across a path I was creating at the top of a slope. It is planted close to the house so my fault of course. I can't move the path; now i have to move a plant ~5' across and high. Supposedly they move easily in  the autumn. Any advice would be welcome. I doubt it will retain much soil, even if i could lift it.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2021, 03:27:21 PM »
Just reminds me Gail, about three weeks ago we were visiting The Garden House and came across a beautiful yellow Paeony with the perfume of the freshest of lemons. I spent the rest of the afternoon tracking down any staff member or volunteer who might have been able to let me have it’s name. The thing was no one could tell me. One of the volunteers did tell me that I had been the fourth visitor that day attempting to get hold of the information. I’ve no picture to add but did wonder if you might be able to give me a clue?

There's a well-known  yellow peony which famously has a great fresh lemon scent - it's called 'Bartzella'

These  two photos are from Claire Austin's site ....  https://claireaustin-hardyplants.co.uk

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ArnoldT

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2021, 04:22:39 PM »
Here it is flower last month in New Jersey.  Wonderful lemon scented.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal