We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South Hayes instability.  (Read 2098 times)

Chad

South Hayes instability.
« on: February 04, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »
I'm intrigued at how far South Hayes is drifting away from its original appearance.

Its instability under twin scaling was discussed here.

I have an impression, that is not supported by enough observations, that my concept of its 'ideal form' with an unbroken full length green streak on the the outer petal is being replaced in cultivation by forms with an interrupted green streak or even two completely distinct green marks.

Please could everyone post pictures of their South Hayes, preferably with a note of the source, how long they have grown it and if it is the same each year ['stable'].

To start things off, I have three accessions of South Hayes. 

679968-0
This is my 'original' form.  Bought from Avon Bulbs over 15 years ago and only ever propagated by dividing the clump.   Completely stable.

679970-1
This is also from Avon Bulbs, by post in spring 2019. Too soon to know about stability.

679972-2
This form came up where I thought I had moved all of a clump of the 'original' South Hayes.  It actually came up two years after the move, so it is just possible it is a volunteer seedling. It is not a thing of beauty, but has been stable for three years.

Please add lots of pictures!

Chad

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 05:35:44 PM by Chad »
Inland Cornwall

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: South Hayes instability.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 03:28:45 PM »
No-one has answered this, but here is my 'South Hayes' (picture last spring), bought from Glen Chantry in summer 2017. I think the markings have been the same all the time here.
Leena from south of Finland

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 05:19:25 PM »
Mine are not quite out yet, will do when they are.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 10:53:13 AM »
Sorry, prolonged bad weather prevented me from getting a photograph until today

This was a gift from a kind fellow-forumist, in 2011 I think.  Thereafter it has increased by natural division, slowly but steadily. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:34:57 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 09:19:31 AM »
Here is my South Hayes group this morning.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 05:55:27 PM »
Sorry, some bad pictures taken in a rush.
I bought South Hayes about 10 years ago, I've never chipped or twin-scaled it myself and it behaved itself impeccably the first five or so years;
This photo was taken in 2013;
680502-0
I can't remember exactly when it started misbehaving but this is how it looked in 2019;

Last year most of the bulbs had just that small single mark but there was one that looked close to how South Hayes should so I separated that out. This year the majority are stable in their instability and I no longer call them South Hayes - nice healthy looking plants! The one that I separated out last year is doing something very strange this year;
680506-2

680508-3
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 07:02:53 PM »
Your third photo looks suspiciously like Trumps!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 08:57:45 PM »
Very much like. Does anyone grow Philippe Andre Meyer/know how stable it is? I was just watching a talk by Jim Almond who was showing a potful on the show bench, one flower of which just had one small mark rather than the strong stripe.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Chad

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 09:38:18 PM »
Gail,

Your 'instability' is so extreme that I think it may have arisen as a seedling within your original South Hayes clump.

So far I have only noticed changes in the outer floral segments, but your variant shows different marking on the inner segments and the ovary is a slightly different shape.

Everyone,

Keep the pictures coming please. 

I had hoped for several tens of reports to get some idea of what is going on.

Chad
Inland Cornwall

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 10:55:51 AM »
If you will allow a brief digression along the theme:

I had a very crowded lattice pot full of 'Trumps' so last summer I split and planted just a few bulbs back in the original location.  If you look at the photo the one top right and the one bottom left look nothing like Trumps - well yes, a little, but the flower shape is completely different.  This could be a one year anomaly or it could be seedling that has arisen and got spread about a little when I split all the bulbs.     
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 02:40:32 PM »
Sorry, some bad pictures taken in a rush.
I bought South Hayes about 10 years ago, I've never chipped or twin-scaled it myself and it behaved itself impeccably the first five or so years;
This photo was taken in 2013;
(Attachment Link)
I can't remember exactly when it started misbehaving but this is how it looked in 2019;
(Attachment Link)

Last year most of the bulbs had just that small single mark but there was one that looked close to how South Hayes should so I separated that out. This year the majority are stable in their instability and I no longer call them South Hayes - nice healthy looking plants! The one that I separated out last year is doing something very strange this year;
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
The interesting thing about these flowers is that on all the other photos shown so far in this thread (I think) the inner segments are all green, more or less. The middle two photos are almost certainly seedlings as they have only an apical mark. One of them looks very like this seedling from Trimmer x South Hayes:

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »
How it happens - yesterday I noticed a little cluster of snowdrops, some of which were ipocs. At first I thought it was a named variety that had reverted, and I'd lost the label, then I noticed it was about the length of a flower stalk away from Trym! I should be more careful to remove seedpods If I want to keep the clumps 'clean'.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:56:29 PM by annew »

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal