We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New snowdrops from Dryad Nursery  (Read 4302 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
New snowdrops from Dryad Nursery
« on: January 14, 2020, 06:56:59 PM »
I'm delighted to introduce the latest snowdrops to be registered from our breeding programmes.

Firstly - After 9 years work, and trialling here for stability and reliability, Dryad Nursery are proud to introduce the latest variety to be released in our Myths and Legends series, from our inverse poculiform snowdrop breeding programme.

Galanthus Dryad Echo is named for the beautiful Nymph of the woods and mountains, cursed to repeat the last words she heard. Much like Narcissus and his pool, this is a snowdrop you could gaze at endlessly!

Echo is a heavenly, statuesque and imposing snowdrop, easily recognised by a mysterious pale ‘echo’ spot above the dark green mark on the outers, and a corresponding pale mirroring of the dark inverted V on the inners. It is honey-scented, vigorous and increases well here. 

It is a worthy companion to Demeter, Artemis and Venus.

DESCRIPTION FOR REGISTRATION
Flowering height 200 - 300mm (under glass, probably shorter outside). Leaves plicate, erect to arching, approximately 18 x 170mm at flowering time.
Scapes upright. Ovary cylindrical, length:width approximately 3:2. Flower shape conical. Flower length including ovary 26mm. Pedicel 75% the length of the straight spathe.
Outer segments longitudinally ridged, 17mm long by 12mm wide. The mark on each outer segment a dark green, narrow inverted U at apex, and a pale 'echo' spot half way between apical mark and base. ‘Claw’ 3.5mm.
The inner segments are 14 x 8mm, inner segment mark is a dark green, acutely pointed, narrow inverted V at apex, which merges into a pale green 'echo' mirror image almost reaching to the base. The flower is honey scented.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:00:20 PM by annew »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
Re: New snowdrops from Dryad Nursery
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 06:58:38 PM »
And now after many requests, we have the final two Dryad Gold varieties that we are naming. They are two of the taller growing varieties, both with larger flowers, and have been named Dryad Gold Standard and Dryad Gold Sceptre. This completes the iconic Dryad Gold family with varieties to suit all tastes and a wonderful series to display as a group!

Dryad Gold Standard
The Gold Standard established a benchmark and guarantee of value and this snowdrop is a worthy inheritor of the name. A tall imposing variety with large bulbs, it has fine, large bell-shaped flowers, the incurving outer segments make them gently ‘quill’ into a point at their apices when mature. The large bulbs clump up quickly.

The ovary is shorter than Gold Sceptre and most of the rest of the group, and the pedicel longer. This has been one of my favourites since its first flowering.

Flowering height 15-18cm. Scapes upright, flower length including ovary 33mm. Leaves at flowering time 9x65mm, glaucous, upright then arching. Pedicel straight, equal to the spathe. Outer segments 25 x 16mm, incurved. 'Claw' 3mm long. Ovary yellow, one third the length of the outer segments. Inner segments with yellow inverted heart, with a slightly rounded point, to 50% of the length. Bulbs large.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:59:52 PM »
Finally - Dryad Gold Sceptre
A Gold Sceptre is a gold staff or wand, held by a monarch as a symbol of authority. Beautiful and stately, Dryad Gold Sceptre is a proud example of a striking, gold snowdrop, which will distinguish any collection. it is a strong-growing, medium tall cultivar, whose flowers are among the largest in the group. It makes large bulbs which increase well.

Flowering height 15-20cm. Scapes upright, flower length including ovary 36mm. Leaves at flowering time 9x70mm, glaucous, arching. Pedicel straight, two thirds the length of the straight spathe. Outer segments 27 x 15mm. 'Claw' 3mm long. Ovary narrow, yellow, cylindrical, one third the length of the outer segments. Inner segments with yellow inverted deep horseshoe shape, occasionally slightly pointed, to 40% of the length of the inner segment. Bulbs very large. Large flowers are honey scented.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Tim Harberd

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 10:50:55 AM »
Hi Anne,
   About five years ago you showed us a comparison chart... Are Gold Sceptre & Gold Standard on here?

Thanks

Tim DH

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 12:25:05 PM »
Yes, but as I keep them just numbered in the nursery, if I told you which they were I may have to shoot you.....

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 10:31:57 AM »
We are excited to introduce a new range of double snowdrops from Estonia which will be offered in the UK & Europe for the first time by Dryad Nursery.

The varieties have the stamp of that great plantsman Taavi Tuulik who bred and developed the range in Estonia, along with the excellent Estonian Spirit range grown and introduced by Dryad Nursery.

Double snowdrops are an often overlooked area of growing and really special new varieties have been in short supply, one thinks of only Mordred and Betty Hansell. To address this need we will be launching the best of these new varieties over the next year or two.

Taavi chose to name the series after Estonian birds. There are varieties with wonderful inner markings, quite distinct amongst the doubles and those with elongated inner petals like Berthtille, which give them a petticoat appearance.

Eventually we will release 6-9 of these stunning new varieties making a major addition to the double snowdrop varieties available to discerning collectors. 

Estonian Birds Snowdops are:
TT-1 ’Luik’ (Swan Cygnus)
TT-2 ’Siisike’ (Siskin Carduelis spinus)
TT-3 ’Kiur’ (Tree Pipit Anthus trivialis)
TT-4 ’Aul’ (Long-tailed Duck Clangula hyemalis)
TT-5 ’Kaur’ (Arctic Loon Gavia arctica)
TT-6 ’Vutt’ (Common Quail Coturnix coturnix)
TT-7 ’Ristpart’ (Shelduck Tadorna tadorna)
TT-8 ’Tutkas’ (Ruff Philomachus pugnax)
TT-9 ’Lagle’ (Barnacle Goose Branta leucopsis)
TT-10 ’Vart’ (Greater Scaup Aythya marila)
TT-11 ’Tikk’ (Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca)
TT-12 ’Tihane’ (Great Tit Parus major)
TT-13 ’Meltsas’ (Green Woodpecker Picus viridis)
TT-14 ’Sõtkas’ (Common Goldeneye Bucephala clangula)
TT-15 ’Kakk’ (Boreal Owl Aegolius funereus)
TT-16 ’Sabatihane’ (Long-tailed Tit Aegithalos caudatus)

Taavi's own notes on the group:
Galanthus Estonian Birds Group is created by Taavi Tuulik fom händ pollinated seeds using Galanthus nivalis ’Flore Pleno’ as a male parent. The crossings were made in open garden 2007-2008 and were not fully controlled. Female parents were:
G. plicatus from Crimea (’Kaur’, ’Sõtkas’, ’Vart’)
G. plicatus from Krasnodar region, Russia (with all-green inner segments) (’Kakk’, ’Meltsas’)
G. elwesii var. elwesii from Turkey (Dutch export) (’Tihane’, ’Tikk’)
G. elwesii var. elwesii from abandoned garden in Hiiumaa, must come from the NW Black Sea coast (’Lagle’, ’Ristpart’, ’Tutkas’)
mixed plants G. elwesii and G. elwesii x nivalis – from abandoned garden in Hiiumaa, G. elwesii must come from the NW Black Sea coast (’Aul’, ’Kiur’,’Luik’, ’Sabatihane’, ’Siisike’, ’Vutt’)
From ca 200 bulbs during their first flowering 2012-2015 16 were with double flowers.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 10:33:14 AM »
More photos!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
Last one, and my favourite :)

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 02:36:19 AM »
Anne,

Your flower portraits on a black background are stunning!  Do you do them?  Do you have a small studio set up?

Diane
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 07:26:04 PM »
Thank you, Diane. It's a simple set up. Next time I'm doing a batch I will take a pic of my apparatus.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 10:39:38 PM »
Finally - Dryad Gold Sceptre
A Gold Sceptre is a gold staff or wand, held by a monarch as a symbol of authority. Beautiful and stately, Dryad Gold Sceptre is a proud example of a striking, gold snowdrop, which will distinguish any collection. it is a strong-growing, medium tall cultivar, whose flowers are among the largest in the group. It makes large bulbs which increase well.

You've made tremendous progress in your breeding Anne. Congratulations.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

WSGR

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 06:08:27 AM »
Anne: I followed your video and managed to fiddle with Diggory and Wendy's Gold. But it was so windy. The seeds I bought some you have sprouted. Something to look forward to. I have totally forgotten it.

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 09:23:51 AM »
Anne: I followed your video and managed to fiddle with Diggory and Wendy's Gold. But it was so windy. The seeds I bought some you have sprouted. Something to look forward to. I have totally forgotten it.
Good luck with your seedlings!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 01:20:07 PM »
Anne,

Your flower portraits on a black background are stunning!  Do you do them?  Do you have a small studio set up?

Diane
Hi Diane, I just explained my photographic setup in a new post:
https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17624.msg409359#msg409359
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 03:12:03 PM by Maggi Young »

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 09:02:33 AM »
GALANTHUS DRYAD JUPITER
Dryad Nursery are proud to introduce the latest addition to our pantheon of Myths and Legends – DRYAD JUPITER.

Jupiter was the king of the gods in Roman mythology, and this name was chosen for our new inverse poculiform because of its regal, upright bearing and crown-shaped outer mark.
Growing to about 25 cm under cover, the strong stems bear large flowers, held well above the leaves for maximum impact.

Each of the outer segments is broad and convex leading to a full, rounded outline to the flower, while the edge of the outers is tilted upwards to form a rim which reaches all the way around the perimeter except for the basal ‘claw’. The texture is distinctly ridged, so that the outer mark, a rich green arc, extends along the furrows to produce the ‘crown’ which is a signature of this variety. There is a small sinus notch.
The inner segments feature a green X mark, of which the apical half is deep green, while the basal half is pale and diffuse, whereas the inner surfaces are almost entirely striped with green.
The plants increase well, forming large bulbs which flower consistently, and will make an imposing and majestic statement in the garden.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal