We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: virus protection  (Read 3337 times)

robsorchids

virus protection
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:41:47 PM »
i can see on my bed of narcissus many are virused, because the many galanthus are grown close by i fear about them also becoming infected :-[

if i place a layer of fleece over them now, propped up by some sticks for good air flow, in theory this would keep out the main spreaders which are the aphids.

is this feasible?

also if i sprayed both now with something like say, provado to systematically kill any aphids , would this help?

i know many are going to tell me to destory the daffs but i dont really want to go down that road at the moment.

also the fleece would stop any bulb fly from getting to the leaves which is what i plan to do anyway, so if i put up the fleece now i can protect from the virus, all of the flowers are over now so i won't be missing anything  ;)

rob
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:57:36 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: virus protection
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »
Well, Rob, you've guessed already what i am going to say... get   rid of them.... but your plan with the fleece is at least a good attempt to isolate the problem.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:42:17 PM »
Hi Rob and Maggi:

An important source of infection are nematodes that attack the roots. No fleece would stop them from moving around.

Slugs and snails are also efficient in spreading virus.

Our sympathies to Rob but the next step would be to destroy the narcissi AND the galanthi. We have all felt this discomfort on one or several occasions but viruses only move in one direction: forward.

Kind regards
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »
Hi Rob:

It is a nightmare indeed.

Not many years ago we purchased samples of 70 daffodil cultivars from a firm in England and each and every one was virused from their very sprouting. Thanks all the gods we strictly quarantine every single thing into the collection and there was a big, big fire by those days over here.

In case your nitrogen is not too high, I wonder if some of your daffs could be healthy so far and therefore worth keeping. Fortunately virus in daffodils show several manifestations that are helpful in detecting it.

Good luck
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »
Rob Narcissus fly aren't out until June
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »
Rob, also the nematodes will get more active when the soiltemperature is rising.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 06:31:05 PM »
there is a storm coming soon

make sure it doesn't blow away Rob!   ;D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal