We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gal. gracilis  (Read 3404 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Gal. gracilis
« on: February 24, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »
Hi all ,

here are true Gal. gracilis

it is interesting -this plants flowers always really late ( in this year a bit earlier )
this plants have a heigth of 5 cm
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Gal. gracilis
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »
Very  nice Hans.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:38 PM »
I'll try and photograph mine tomorrow.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

johngood

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:10:33 PM »
This looks like mine too, which is a relief! I had it many years ago from a great snowdrop enthusiast, Paddy Ryan of Newcastle upon Tyne, now sadly deceased.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:44:03 AM »
Hello, John, good to have you around the new forum.  Hope all is well with you in Wales.
Your post mentioning Paddy Ryan has given me cause for a pleasant interlude remembering that dear man-- much missed in Scotland, too.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:56:50 AM »
Hans,

Here, Galanthus gracilis is one of the earlier Galanthus to flower.  They're usually up in early winter, with the first of the elwesii.  Interesting that you say that for you they're late.  I do have some seedlings coming along from a seed exchange a couple of years ago so it will be interesting to see what sort of timing they end up with.

I can't believe how many Galanthus topics have been active in the last couple of weeks since I was last browsing the site..... there's more than a page and half of topics.  Between these and the Crocus topics it could take me days and days just to catch up on them alone.  ::)

Still, it is so nice to be looking at Galanthus and Crocus during our summer.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »
Paul ,

I'm glad that you are now again with us ...I have missed you in the last weeks .
Yes - it's only this plants of G. gracilis who are always so late - all other are much earlier .

You will have a lot of work to read all this topics in last time !

Have fun
Hans

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »
Hans,

Ah, didn't realise it was just this particular clone.  Thought that you were meaning the gracilis were all late for you.

G. gracilis is a favourite of mine as I love the markings and the little corkscrew leaves.  Extending the flowering season with different clones must mean you can enjoy them for that much longer.  Congratulations!!

I'm sure at some point I'll have enough of catching up on everything that has been posted and start setting some topics to "read" without actually reading them.  For the moment though I am thoroughly enjoying viewing everything, although I had to take a break for a while as I was working through the 19 pages in the February Crocus topic that had been posted since my last reading.  I'm guessing that the February Galanthus topic is going to be similarly bulky since last reading, but I have left it until later on once I have caught up with other things.

So many things to read and not enough hours in the day!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 10:27:37 AM »
Paul ,

This plants from Samos has not any twistet leaves -that is the reason why they are really special for me .
I have other clones ( like Highdown ) they are so different .
Please look at my pic -this is normal by this form : applante vernaltion and short leaves - not twistet !
...I believe I have send you seeds from this plants - please look if they have germinatet .

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »
Hans,

There are at least some twisted leaves in your pic above.  I'd just assumed that they were still fairly early in their growth and that the twisting would increase later.

I do recall some gracilis seed from you, but I wouldn't be disturbing them at this time of year given they're going to be pretty small.  I find that with the change in hemisphere it often takes an extra year to germinate a lot of things, because they aren't expecting our seasons to be as they are.  I think this would put the seedlings from your seed at a maximum of 12 months since germination, or else due to germinate shortly (if I have my times right for when I received them of course).  I would imagine that they'd be tiny little bulbs and wouldn't like the disturbance.  I'll keep an eye out for them during our winter though, and will let you know how they do.

Off topic for Galanthus...... I think that every single seed of the Narcissus serotinus must have germinated.  I repotted them last week and there seemed like there were hundreds.  ;D  I'd imagine that there probably were actually 100 of them in the pot.  I've now potted them into a couple of different pots.  Still only small, and many years to flowering, but it is so cool to know that this little autumn species is hapily growing here now (and already has roots in the middle of summer!)  Thanks so much.

Sorry to everyone else for having dropped out of white-fever mode for a moment.  Normal services will now be returned.........  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 10:42:07 AM »
Sorry to everyone else for having dropped out of white-fever mode for a moment.  Normal services will now be returned.........
Given the colour of Narcissus serotinus, Paul, we'll forgive you  ;) :D Good luck with them..... I do hope in a few years you'll be showing us the flowers  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal