We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Norfolk Plant Heritage Snowdrop Gala  (Read 4701 times)

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
The Norfolk Plant Heritage Snowdrop Gala
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
As you may know The Norfolk Group of Plant Heritage held a Snowdrop Gala last Saturday, 30th January.  I have just uploaded two galleries of photos to their website and the link below is to the news page if you fancy having a look.  Just follow the link under previous event to the gala page.  From there you can link to a further gallery of Norfolk snowdrop pictures put together by Brian Ellis and myself.  You should be able to see quite a few forumists in the pictures plus a few lurkers.  To wet the appetite here are two pictures:

1.  There are at least four forumists in this picture.  Not sure if the fifth is a forumist or lurker!
2.  Bet you have never seen so many red balls on a snooker table!

http://www.norfolkplantheritage.org.uk/groupnews.html
Brooke, Norwich, Norfolk.

Web site:  http://www.zen62218.zen.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: The Norfolk Plant Heritage Snowdrop Gala
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:52 PM »
I've just enjoyed a pleasant browse through the photos, David , many thanks for the links.  The snowdrop gallery is  super - worth a link to that too, methinks, if you don't mind .....
http://www.norfolkplantheritage.org.uk/norfolksnowdrops.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:11:22 PM »
For those who attended from a distance you might like to see the fairly accurate report of the weekend in the local rag:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/snowdrops_are_appreciated_in_east_tuddenham_and_langmere_1_4400419
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »
For those who attended from a distance you might like to see the fairly accurate report of the weekend in the local rag:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/snowdrops_are_appreciated_in_east_tuddenham_and_langmere_1_4400419

Obviously the Journalist (and I use the word reservedly) believes that his readers lack the intellect to absorb no more than one paragraph at a time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:02:09 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:09 PM »
In the earlier stages of putting the event together there was mention of a local radio involvement.  Did that not come to anything in the end?

Excellent picture, of course David. 
Almost in Scotland.

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »
In the earlier stages of putting the event together there was mention of a local radio involvement.  Did that not come to anything in the end?

Excellent picture, of course David.

Well, we didn't know anything about that and as you were not involved in any of the event planning it would be interesting to know where that information came from?
Brooke, Norwich, Norfolk.

Web site:  http://www.zen62218.zen.co.uk

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 12:26:44 AM »
Super photos of what appears to have been an excellent day. A pleasure for those of us who are far away to see.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 02:36:58 AM »
Congratulations David and Brian for your excellent photo report of the Norfolk Plant Heritage Snowdrop Gala and for capturing both the people and the plants. I particularly enjoyed seeing photos of G. 'Swanton', G. 'Alburgh Claw', and G. 'Priscilla Bacon'. Brilliant photos of special drops not often seen. Thank you for allowing us to tag along. Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Bernadette

• Amateur collector with a lot of plants...
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 05:55:29 AM »
Lovely photos David, a great weekend for snowdrops in Norfolk.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »
... it would be interesting to know where that information came from?

As far as I can remember it came from some early publicity put out by Ben Potterton (of Blacksmiths Cottage Nursery) on social media.  The (his?) idea at that time was to bill the Plant Heritage event last Saturday and his event the following day as a Norfolk Snowdrop Weekend.  I guess this idea was not carried forward into actual publicity, although it lodged in the minds of a few of us - like Mark Smyth who travelled a long way in order to make a weekend of the two events.

I thought the Plant Heritage event was very successful and the way you coped with the absence of one of your two billed speakers was admirable.  The people on the sales tables possibly had a difficult time in trying to supply both the galanthophile and the non-galanthophile alike.  The display of snowdrops put on by the MacLennans was excellent and perhaps deserved a more prominent position in the room?  And giving away a named snowdrop to all attendees was an original idea that I'm sure will get a few more people hooked on snowdrops.  I got a pot with two bulbs of 'Colossus' which, to buy, would surely have cost the price of admission to the event.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:33:44 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 08:42:09 AM »
The snowdrop gallery is  super -

I completely agree, Maggi.  I had never heard of "Novers Green" before and now I've rather fallen in love with it.
Almost in Scotland.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
I completely agree, Maggi.  I had never heard of "Novers Green" before and now I've rather fallen in love with it.
Agree on Novers Green - is this the virescent plicate found in Brian's garden?  (I like it a lot wherever it's from!!)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:53:42 AM »
No nothing to do with me, apart from input on naming, the photograph was passed on by a friend who is going to bulk it up - you (and I) might have to wait for several years before seeing it in the flesh.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:57:53 AM by Brian Ellis »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
As far as I can remember it came from some early publicity put out by Ben Potterton (of Blacksmiths Cottage Nursery) on social media.  The (his?) idea at that time was to bill the Plant Heritage event last Saturday and his event the following day as a Norfolk Snowdrop Weekend.  I guess this idea was not carried forward into actual publicity, although it lodged in the minds of a few of us - like Mark Smyth who travelled a long way in order to make a weekend of the two events.

I thought the Plant Heritage event was very successful and the way you coped with the absence of one of your two billed speakers was admirable.  The people on the sales tables possibly had a difficult time in trying to supply both the galanthophile and the non-galanthophile alike.  The display of snowdrops put on by the MacLennans was excellent and perhaps deserved a more prominent position in the room?  And giving away a named snowdrop to all attendees was an original idea that I'm sure will get a few more people hooked on snowdrops.  I got a pot with two bulbs of 'Colossus' which, to buy, would surely have cost the price of admission to the event.

Thank you for your input which I will pass on, however, Ben had been approached to see what date his event was this year so that the organisers of the event for Norfolk Plant Heritage members would not clash with it, but would ensure a weekend of snowdrop activity.  It was Ben’s choice to mention it on Facebook and was not ‘advertising’ from PH.  As both Ben and Kathy received comments on the day clashing with a sale in Suffolk the group did not publicise the event as such, apart from initially through the National Plant Heritage website, this was subsequently taken up on the forum of course.  We were pleasantly surprised by how many people thought what a good idea it was to have the events together so that those travelling a long distance could stay overnight and not travel twice!  I have to admit that was my comment as I find long distance travelling a problem and would not consider travelling to such events myself without staying overnight - or in really long distances making a weeks holiday to include an event.  Mark Smyth and Jo Hynes happened to be two of the first people I ran the idea past to see whether galanthophiles would be happy to make up the numbers if the event was not full of Norfolk PH members who had preference until late October. 

As you say it was unfortunate that Joe Sharman was unable to speak at the last minute (in fact we knew the previous evening) but we were very grateful to Richard Hobbs for stepping in (and although we have heard the talk at least four times it has been different each time so held my interest, I hope that others were equally satisfied). 

As you know the space in the hall was tight and the plan showed Joe’s large stand to occupy the space which Ann Borrill, The Maclennans and I were occupying on the day as we had been told by another Nationally known and well respected seller that diagonally opposite the main entrance was a good position to hold.  Things changed somewhat at 8pm the previous evening when we had to adjust our plans, all the local sellers being asked to bring as many plants as possible to try and make up for Joe’s absence. 

I personally was amazed at how many non-galanthophiles from Norfolk were happy to buy reasonably expensive snowdrops that they could see in flower and hope that they were all happy with their purchases.  We did try to ensure that there were plants that they could buy either at a reasonable price or as value for money (e.g. three ‘Wasp’ for £15, nine ‘Heffalump’ for £12) to give them instant clumps.
 It is a shame that you did get, as your free snowdrop, one that you already have although you should be aware that it is now known as ‘Colossus’ in another thread you refer to it as ‘Colesborne’ which is an old synonym.

The committee were very pleased with how the event went and thanks all those who attended for their support and help in making it such a friendly day.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:13:53 PM by Brian Ellis »

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
I have to say that it was a thoroughly enjoyable week end,and as usual great pictures David

And as per Brian's statement having the two events on consecutive days helped,we ourselves stopped over in Norwich on the Saturday evening,maybe this is an idea to carry forward to other event organisers during the silly season...................oops that should read snowdrop season....................or should it????
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal