We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2024  (Read 2470 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Paeonia 2024
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 06:36:40 PM »
I have another strange thing. My P. emodi grows every year and shows small flower buds, but they do not develop over 1cm in diameter. Sometimes I had issues with frost and tried to cover the plant, but this year there was no frost only temperatures a bit above zero degree. Has anybody any idea why this could be?

Another problem I have is with P. veitchii. I got 3 times plants from a colleague and every time they disappeared/died after 1-2 years. Maybe I should try it with seeds, but where can I get some seeds of P. veitchii; can anybody of you send me some if you have some?

I had the same problem with P.emodi, the buds shrivelled and didn't open, and after one winter I lost the entire plant.
With P.veitchii (and anomala) I have never had any problems or deaths ( daurica types and officinalis types are more difficult here), and I have thought P.veitchii to be the most reliable peony here in my garden.  It grows here mostly in semishade or some sun, but not in dry sunny sandy slope where P.officinalis does well. It grows also well in clay soil where many peonies get botrytis but not weitchii or anomala.
I can send you seeds of P.veitchii next autumn, unfortunately I don't have any left now.
Leena from south of Finland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2024, 08:25:26 PM »
My veitchii is not flowering this year, which is my fault as I've let it get overcrowded so must move it. My emodi (from wild-collected seed) has just opened its first flower with several more to come. It does seem quite prone to botrytis and needs watching.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Jürg P

• Hemerocallis Species
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2024, 08:39:32 AM »
Thanks Leena and Gail.
@Leena: That would be great, if you could send me in autumn some seeds of your P. veitchii; thanks.

I have clay in my garden and for me it looked like that is the reason why P. veitchii is not doing well here. It was more or less in full sun, but I would like to try in future in semi-shade and in a mixture of clay and compost earth; hopefully it would like this more.

The P. emodi shows no sign of botrytis (I have anyhow only few locations where I can see probably some botrytis damage, as normally I eliminate the dead material of the Peonies). The flower buds of P. emodi actually do not shrivel or get brown for very long; they just stay at the same size for months and green. I try this year to fertilize more (I actually did not fertilize in the past years, but there are about 8 stems, so a real mature plant).

It is always surprising that some people have problems with some plants while others do not have them, but they have problems with other plants which others (i.e. the some people) do not have. It is probably a kind of mixture of environment (earth, temperature, nutrients, water, sun) and care of the garden owner. Most of the environment one can influence by changing place or earth, watering or fertilizing. The care one certainly can change, but strangely, the more and care the less some plants like it.

Does anybody of you know the name of the following cultivar (I got it under the name of 'Quing Long Wo Mo Chi'); the flowers are most time double, but sometimes also only semi-double as seen on one of the 2 pictures? The plant itself only gets to a height of around 40cm, but I really like the flowers especially when they are only semi-double.

Gail

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2024, 07:34:51 PM »
It is always easier to say what a peony is not than to give it a correct name...

I was at Madingley Hall near Cambridge at the weekend. Their walled garden is delightful and I was pleased to see P. mlokosewitchii flowering.

In my own garden 'Lydia Foote' is now at her best;

and new to me this year Paeonia 'Mikunino-akebono' which has ragged edges to the petals

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Stefan B.

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2024, 09:00:06 PM »

Does anybody of you know the name of the following cultivar (I got it under the name of 'Quing Long Wo Mo Chi'); the flowers are most time double, but sometimes also only semi-double as seen on one of the 2 pictures? The plant itself only gets to a height of around 40cm, but I really like the flowers especially when they are only semi-double.

Здравейте Jürg,
Maybe your peony is called Paeonia 'Shimano-fuji', but this variety is suffruticosa, good luck finding its real name!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 09:05:49 PM by Stefan B. »

arisaema

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2024, 09:20:36 PM »
Does anybody of you know the name of the following cultivar (I got it under the name of 'Quing Long Wo Mo Chi')

It's definitely not 青龙卧墨池, you can see that one here: https://dp.pconline.com.cn/photo/3518371.html

Stefan B.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2024, 05:34:10 PM »

and new to me this year Paeonia 'Mikunino-akebono' which has ragged edges to the petals
(Attachment Link)
I like this!!

Stefan B.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2024, 05:47:26 PM »
I am very impressed by the deep red color of this peony.

Paeonia suffruticosa 'Hephestos'

Gail

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2024, 09:04:17 PM »
That is lovely Stefan! I tried to buy 'Hephestos' but the plant I was sent flowered pale cream...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Stefan B.

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 07:42:08 AM »
That is lovely Stefan! I tried to buy 'Hephestos' but the plant I was sent flowered pale cream...
This is very annoying, sorry!  I have been looking for this variety for a long time at an affordable price, I have been happy with it for several years.

Stefan B.

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2024, 06:46:22 PM »
A little more imagination is needed to see the orange color... in fact when it starts to overbloom the color changes to orange, it's kind of reassuring.  :)

P. potaninii ‚Orange-Rot‘

GordonT

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2024, 01:34:37 AM »
[quote author=Jürg P link=topic=19512.msg434064#msg434064 date=1714117172

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
[/quote]

Hello Jurg, you might want to ask the folks at Cricket Hill Nursery in Connecticut, USA. They have an extensive collection of tree peonies, far beyond what they list in their catalogue. Many are Chinese cultivars, so perhaps they could identify your impressive plant.

Cheers,

Gordon
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal