Bulbs > Bulbs General

Alliums in fall

(1/3) > >>

zephirine:
Two lovely late-blooming alliums have made my days weeks this fall:

- Allium thunbergii 'Osawa' showed its first colours in the first week of october...
...was at its best by the third week
...and is still pretty nice these days!

- Allium callimischon ssp haemostictum has been wonderful this year too, even though it lasted "only" three weeks in october...

Do you grow any other fall-blooming alliums? I'm really fond of these, and would like to add more!
Zephirine

Carlo:
One can never have too many allium (don't we say that about everything?). Your Allium callimischon ssp haemostictum is particularly lovely. Are you growing it in the ground as well as in pots? And where are you?

zephirine:
Well, I'm in front of my computer, Carlo ! ;D
Seriously, I'm in a small village, 450 m high, in S/E France, not very far from the Alps! I'd say USDA zone 7b.
I dared not plant A. callimischon haemostictum right in the garden yet (and will keep it in my brand new cool greenhouse this winter!).
However, it has spent two winters outoors, including a rather serious one in 2005-2006, in a fairly sheltered place under some hazelnut trees...surrounded by other containers, but not especially protected!
I plan to try to plant some of it in the ground next spring though, to test it.
Zephirine

Paul T:
Zephirine,

The Allium callimischon ssp haemostictum is amazing.  I never realised that Alliums came in colours like that, but then again I don't have much experience with Allium to be honest.  The almost picotee edge definitely makes that one to keep in mind if I ever see it around.  Beautiful!!  I've been really enjoying your pics.  Thanks for taking the time to post them for us.

zephirine:
Thank you, Paul! A nice compliment, since there are so many beauties in your country which make us all envious!
And you're enjoying spring, lucky you! I love autumn, but hate the shorter days, when you go to work in the dark and come back in the evening, it's night...a whole week without any gardening is just not fair! :'(
Zephirine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version